Corkboard white label colour oddity in dark mode

auxbuss
Platform: Mac

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:11 pm Post

When using white for a label colour, the colour displayed on the corkboard (arranged by label) is a muddy colour. White would be better!

Switching to light mode, I see that a dark colour is used for white labels, which seems like a clue.
ImageImage

KB
Site Admin

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:39 pm Post

Oops, there's a bug here whereby light mode is showing the dark mode colours. However, the colours are correct in dark mode - in dark mode, all of the colours are darkened to work against a dark background. Bright white against a dark background would not look good.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

auxbuss

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:32 pm Post

Hmm, this doesn't look great either. And since my story arc uses white as its identifier, being represented by this colour is, well, non-indicative. I really do expect to see white here.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-11-02 at 20.27.54.png
Screenshot 2018-11-02 at 20.27.54.png (23.79 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
ImageImage

KB
Site Admin

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:57 am Post

Like I say, this is expected behaviour - light mode colours do not work against a dark background.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

auxbuss

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:09 pm Post

We’ll have to agree to disagree about this.

I understand the dark mode changes that are part of Scrivener’s interface, but in this case it’s users' selected colours that are being overridden. White to dark grey is a big change.

There is, however, an inconsistency between views. The user's colours are displayed in the Binder and the Outliner, but are changed on the Corkboard. This is my point, basically: when a colour is used to signify something, then it should be used consistently.

I guess it boils down to two things for me:

• Just because I’m in dark mode doesn’t mean I don’t want to use bright colours. (After all, my text is white.)
  • Overriding a user’s selection for something that seems random (to the user) is, imo, confusing and creates unnecessary work.

Anyway, like I say, I disagree and that’s fine.
ImageImage

KB
Site Admin

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:57 pm Post

Any time labels are used in the background they are always overridden. They only ever appear as-is in colour chips or along the edge of index cards.