Major compile bug

ca
caethesfaron
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:02 am Post

I was trying to compile to docx tonight using the beta and no matter what I did I got text without indents and single spaced instead of 1.5 line spacing. After looking through all the tutorial videos and realizing that I've never had a problem compiling before, I decided to see if I could get it to work using the non-beta version. I re-downloaded it and compiled without a problem. I just double checked and every time I compile with the beta to docx no matter what format I use, I get text with no indents and single spaced. I open regular Scrivener and use the exact same formats and it appears as it should with paragraph indents and 1.5 line spacing.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:51 am Post

Please attach a sample project that demonstrates the issue - without being able to see the issue myself, I cannot fix it.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:53 pm Post

If you are using .doc/x or .odt, try .rtf instead, which is Scrivener’s native format. In this thread, it’s looking like some systems may not be making proper use of the third-party conversion engine required, and so the compiler is dropping to the native Mac exporter which, among its many other flaws, messes up line-height formatting.

I give some diagnostic advice in the other thread, let us know if you’re getting any console errors for Scrivener. We would definitely like to track down why that is happening.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ca
caethesfaron

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:39 pm Post

Here's a project I just created using the novel with parts template and I filled the scenes with lorem ipsum. When I compile using the Vellum preset to docx in the beta there are no indents and no line spacing. When I open the project in the regular v3 Scrivener and compile to the Vellum preset I get indents and 1.5 line spacing.
Attachments
compile test.scriv.zip
(325.24 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

ca
caethesfaron

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:41 pm Post

AmberV wrote:If you are using .doc/x or .odt, try .rtf instead, which is Scrivener’s native format. In this thread, it’s looking like some systems may not be making proper use of the third-party conversion engine required, and so the compiler is dropping to the native Mac exporter which, among its many other flaws, messes up line-height formatting.

I give some diagnostic advice in the other thread, let us know if you’re getting any console errors for Scrivener. We would definitely like to track down why that is happening.

I don't get any errors or anything, but I'm also opening the docx in Pages (I don't have Word) so maybe that makes a difference.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:00 pm Post

Please try this build and let me know if this works:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... x-test.zip

I think the Java-based exporters are being broken by a new security feature of Mojave.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ca
caethesfaron

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:01 pm Post

That fixed it! The new build seems to work fine.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 pm Post

Great, thanks. That seems to confirm that it is Apple's security feature that is breaking things. I've taken out a tech support issue with Apple over it - I don't need to use the security feature yet, but in a future macOS update it will be mandatory, so I need to find the cause.