Scivener 3.1 Beta

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:17 pm Post

You could try removing the current stable version from Applications. I’d zip it and set it aside somewhere then reboot, that way you can get it back easily enough if none of this works.

Do you ordinarily use the Mac App Store version, by the way? Wondering if maybe that is the missing link between what works and what doesn’t.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

EC
ECJ
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:22 pm Post

AmberV wrote:You could try removing the current stable version from Applications. I’d zip it and set it aside somewhere then reboot, that way you can get it back easily enough if none of this works.

Do you ordinarily use the Mac App Store version, by the way? Wondering if maybe that is the missing link between what works and what doesn’t.

Nothing. Still nothing. Love those mysteries, but hate to steal your time. :D
Using the direct sale Version of Scrivener and Scapple.
Is there any smart way to compare any hidden user preferences of Admin and second user? Or between iMac and Macbook? trying to figure out if anything is blocking Scrivener.
Scrivener Support

xiamenese

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:29 pm Post

I installed it on my 13” MBP running 10.13.6, simply dragging it in to the applications folder to replace 3.0.3. Opened faultlessly first time.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

EC
ECJ

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 pm Post

JoRo wrote:I'm not permitted to start a thread in the beta forum, so I am posting here.

Downloaded the first beta of 3.1 this morning. It installs, but won't launch. It asks for permission to launch, which is granted, and it then crashes.

I am using a beta version of Mojave, so a beta on a beta might well be the issue here...and not particularly relevant for development testing. But posting just in case it does help going forward.

macOS 10.14.1 (18B67a)
Current Beta Version: 3.1 (3.0.9)
Build 9414

Slàinte mhòr.

Wondering if the OP gets the same crash log, though being on beta. If so, could you please add another user to see if that leads us somewhere?
Scrivener Support

AmberV

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:51 pm Post

No worries, “my time” is in part helping to get the release as bugless as possible. Figuring out what is causing a couple of crash-on-loads with the first beta release certainly fits that definition. :D

Is there any smart way to compare any hidden user preferences of Admin and second user? Or between iMac and Macbook? trying to figure out if anything is blocking Scrivener.

Well there are some routine checks you could try:

1. Log out of admin, then log back in with the Shift key held down. That suppresses all background utilities from loading. So with nothing running except the shell and Finder, does Scrivener launch?
  2. If not, then reboot with Shift held down after the chime. This will take a while—a full disk check will run. Once you’re booted into safe mode try again. Everything will be super slow, especially with a Retina screen. Just check for operation.
  3. If it worked in safe mode, try a normal reboot and run again.

If it works thereafter, it could be something cleaned up by safe boot. It does some routine cache clearing and index rebuilding when you do that.

I’m not super hopeful any of that will help; but you might as well try. Once you get past third-party conflicts and gremlins in the OS, pretty much the only thing left is settings. And there are a lot of those.
Ioa Petra'ka

EC
ECJ

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:16 pm Post

AmberV wrote:No worries, “my time” is in part helping to get the release as bugless as possible. Figuring out what is causing a couple of crash-on-loads with the first beta release certainly fits that definition. :D

While the Boss goes on (deserved) holiday :D

Unfortunately neither of those ideas work out. Every setting (OS) I compared between iMac and Macbook looked to be the same. Let me know if I can check anything else for you.
Scrivener Support

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:06 pm Post

@ECJ
Consider resetting your home folder permissions per this Apple article (read entirely): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

The downside––if you've changed certain read or write permissions for a specific purpose, after the reset (which will set them to system default) you'll need to change them back to what you wish.
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

EC
ECJ

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:45 pm Post

scshrugged wrote:@ECJ
Consider resetting your home folder permissions per this Apple article (read entirely): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

The downside––if you've changed certain read or write permissions for a specific purpose, after the reset (which will set them to system default) you'll need to change them back to what you wish.

First thing I'll try tomorrow morning, thanks!
Scrivener Support

EC
ECJ

Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:55 am Post

ECJ wrote:
scshrugged wrote:@ECJ

First thing I'll try tomorrow morning, thanks!

Didn't change anything. Unfortunately.
Scrivener Support

Jo
JoRo

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:14 am Post

Thanks to all for the ideas, support, and forum tweaks. Indisposed yesterday, so I couldn't test or reply, and I have commitments today.

From the time I had available this morning:

User and system language are set to English.

Direct download, not MAS.

Scrivener is not set to reopen projects.

Yesterday, I tried to run 3.1 from the desktop. I also deleted 3.0.3 from Applications (dragged to trash and trash emptied) and moved 3.1 to Applications. 3.1 wouldn't run.

I deleted 3.1 and reinstalled 3.0.3. All was well.

Today, I downloaded 3.1 again and tried to run it from the desktop, without success.

I then launched 3.0.3 and it acknowledged that the previous attempt to launch Scrivener had failed. It highlighted a preference error.

I downloaded AppCleaner (http://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/) and got it to remove every trace of Scivener that it could find, both 3.0.3 and 3.1.

I rebooted the Mac and downloaded a fresh copy of 3.1. It launched without error from the desktop. I then closed Scrivener, moved it to Applications, and launched it again. All is well, it seems.

One thing that might be different in my preferences is that I save my scratchpad and zipped backups to designated folders stored in iCloud. Could it have been a conflict between 3.1 and iCloud (though I can now set 3.1 to store backups and my scratchpad in iCloud)?

Slàinte mhòr.

EC
ECJ

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 am Post

Thanks JoRo!

So this could still be any preference from within Scrivener, right? Any way to compare preferences of different installations? like any text files where all or a bunch of preference are stored readable so I could open those from my different installations next to each other and compare line per line?
Scrivener Support

br
brookter

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 am Post

You can save preferences to a file and load them later (in General Preferences, click on the Manage button at the bottom left).

I save mine to a folder in Dropbox so I can get at them from any computer. The files have a .plist extension and can be opened in Text Edit (or QuickView) so they can be compared. Or you could use the command line and diff them if you've comfortable with that.

HTH.

EC
ECJ

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:10 am Post

AmberV wrote:I’ve fixed the forum permission issues with the beta board, and have moved this thread over there. Let me know via PM if there are any difficulties with responding to this thread or making new topics on that board.

If crashing is only happening in one account, I would try things in this order:

1. Launch Scrivener with the Shift key held down, to suppress any projects from automatically loading.
  2. Load the tutorial. If that works, open the last project you were working on.

• If that crashes, then clear the project’s UI settings. The important alteration I would make to that checklist is to set aside the UI files. If removing them fixes the crash, send them to us so we can take a look.
    • If the tutorial crashes, then reset the software preferences. (And of course doing so will reset the Scrivener language setting to System, so make sure that is set to English before relaunching).

Solved it. Stupid Me. Didn't follow your above instructions any further, as the first step already wasn't working. Couldn't even open Scrivener with Shift key, so my brain stopped any following action after that: If 1 isn't working, don't even try 2, it can't. - Wrong.

However, put the "com.literatureandlatte.scrivener3.plist" away and 3.1 loaded just fine. One thing I noticed though is that there was still the old "com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2.plist" sitting in that folder. This definitely wasn't available on the macbook, as I set that up from scratch way after 3.0 was released. On the other user on iMac the "com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2.plist" wasn't available too, as I only set up those second user a few weeks ago, so also way after 3.0. May that be causing any issues? Have to admit though, putting "com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2.plist" solely didn't work, but who knows.

However, many apologies that I stopped on that one route too early, yesterday. Owe you something :D I hope the above may help you getting 3.1 ready for other users that may experience the same issue.
Scrivener Support

EC
ECJ

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:16 am Post

brookter wrote:You can save preferences to a file and load them later (in General Preferences, click on the Manage button at the bottom left).

I save mine to a folder in Dropbox so I can get at them from any computer. The files have a .plist extension and can be opened in Text Edit (or QuickView) so they can be compared. Or you could use the command line and diff them if you've comfortable with that.

HTH.

Read that too late unfortunately. Replaced the now new "com.literatureandlatte.scrivener3.plist" with the old one, with which 3.1 wouldn't load and everything still worked fine, so that wouldn't help finding the cause I'm afraid. But I will keep an Eye to that for any further case, so thanks for that.
Scrivener Support

AmberV

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:08 pm Post

ECJ wrote:One thing that might be different in my preferences is that I save my scratchpad and zipped backups to designated folders stored in iCloud. Could it have been a conflict between 3.1 and iCloud (though I can now set 3.1 to store backups and my scratchpad in iCloud)?

From Scrivener’s perspective these locations are like any other folder you have permission to read and write from. The only thing that makes them special is how iCloud monitors and manages the files Scrivener creates within them—which is also something it is unaware of.

So this could still be any preference from within Scrivener, right? Any way to compare preferences of different installations? like any text files where all or a bunch of preference are stored readable so I could open those from my different installations next to each other and compare line per line?

As noted you can save preferences to a file, but my guess will be that any settings saved using the Manage button won’t directly cause a crash. That is possible (consider for example if you selected a corrupted JPG as a corkboard background texture), but unlikely if things work fine in 3.0.3. More likely the problem is in the original .plist, some of which is maintained by macOS and not Scrivener.

That can be loaded in TextWrangler and read line by line, but I wouldn’t encourage it. If we are provided with a copy of a plist that crashes Scrivener on load over here, then we can simply track that down with debugging in a few minutes.

Have to admit though, putting “com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2.plist” solely didn’t work, but who knows.

It is unlikely that is a problem—Scrivener 3 has nothing to do with the old preference file—that’s why when you upgrade you have to manually move your preferences over with a saved pref file, or rebuild them yourself from scratch. We did come across a rather peculiar macOS bug a while back where the System Preferences: Keyboard: Shortcuts tool was writing custom shortcuts into the old scrivener2.plist file. Turns out it was confused over which version of Scrivener was installed.

If trashing that file didn’t do anything, and it didn’t reappear without running Scrivener 2.x, then it’s surely just a “junk file” at this point that nothing references.

Again if anyone has a copy of the scrivener3.plist file that crashes Scrivener on load, I’d love to try reproducing that on my system. It sounds like at this point all copies have been thoroughly trashed, but maybe a copy can be pulled out of Time Machine or something. I’d rather not have as part of our 3.1 upgrade release notes: if it crashes, thoroughly delete everything related to Scrivener. :lol:
Ioa Petra'ka