Scivener 3.1 Beta

Jo
JoRo
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:51 am Post

I'm not permitted to start a thread in the beta forum, so I am posting here.

Downloaded the first beta of 3.1 this morning. It installs, but won't launch. It asks for permission to launch, which is granted, and it then crashes.

I am using a beta version of Mojave, so a beta on a beta might well be the issue here...and not particularly relevant for development testing. But posting just in case it does help going forward.

macOS 10.14.1 (18B67a)
Current Beta Version: 3.1 (3.0.9)
Build 9414

Slàinte mhòr.

EC
ECJ

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:20 am Post

Same here, though I am on the latest regular Mojave build. Won't open on iMac 27 2017. Opens fine on Macbook 12 2016 though. Same OS Versions though.
Scrivener Support

nontroppo

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:25 am Post

I didn't try the Mojave beta, but just dirty upgraded from 10.13 to the regular 10.14 release (18A391) and Scrivener 3.1 (9414) is starting fine on my iMac.

Do you see any messages in the Console that may indicate what is going on? Crash logs?

p.s. gosh what a wonderful update :wink:

EC
ECJ

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:27 am Post

Just sent the crash log. Anything else I can provide to determine any potentially causing differences between both machines?
Scrivener Support

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:40 am Post

Those with crashes, are you running in English as per the beta notes? It may well crash if your language is set to German or anything other than English.

I'm away for a week now but will take a look at any reports when I get back a week on Wednesday.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

EC
ECJ

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 am Post

Language was set to system language on both machines during the first run as this was the setting on 3.03, System language is German. However on the Macbook 3.1 runs fine with remain language set. Changing 3.03 to English on the iMac won't help. Even after restarting the machine. 3.1 still crashes on load.
Scrivener Support

EC
ECJ

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:54 am Post

Let me tell you something: Setup a second user on the iMac some weeks ago. Main account is Admin, second user is just a standard user. Downloaded 3.1 to Second user. Guess what: Runs absolutely fine. So the issue seems to be on my iMacs Admin account.

Could someone explain to me, what this means to further investigate? I mean other than that something kills Scrivener immediately at loading up.

From the crash log:

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[__NSCFNumber bytes]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x916e6a1261fa14ab'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called
Scrivener Support

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:35 am Post

I’ve fixed the forum permission issues with the beta board, and have moved this thread over there. Let me know via PM if there are any difficulties with responding to this thread or making new topics on that board.

If crashing is only happening in one account, I would try things in this order:

1. Launch Scrivener with the Shift key held down, to suppress any projects from automatically loading.
  2. Load the tutorial. If that works, open the last project you were working on.

• If that crashes, then clear the project’s UI settings. The important alteration I would make to that checklist is to set aside the UI files. If removing them fixes the crash, send them to us so we can take a look.
    • If the tutorial crashes, then reset the software preferences. (And of course doing so will reset the Scrivener language setting to System, so make sure that is set to English before relaunching).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

br
brookter

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:27 pm Post

[This has been reported to support, with the crash log — I'm posting it here for others to see]

On first opening the beta, I had the 'Something's gone wrong, do you want to continue?' dialogue.

After I'd deleted both the beta and the release version (and preferences / support folders), I tried again: this time I had the same error. I pressed continue and the program opened fine. I quit and reopened and there was no error report — it may just be a first-run error.

No issues to report otherwise so far.

English as the language through.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac18,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Mojave 10.14.

EC
ECJ

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:08 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
If crashing is only happening in one account, I would try things in this order:

[list=1][*] Launch Scrivener with the Shift key held down, to suppress any projects from automatically loading.
[*] Load the tutorial. If that works, open the last project you were working on.

Holding Shift won't help either. For me, it seems like anything is holding Scrivener back from Opening. I see Scrivener Logo appearing (as for any opened App) in the dock but then it's gone within milliseconds.

So it's not like some error comes up "while" Scrivener is loading any project (average loading time of 3.03 without loading any project feels way longer in comparison). Scrivener crashes/ain't permit to load or whatever whining the very first milliseconds after I click.
Scrivener Support

AmberV

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:56 pm Post

Thanks brookter, I got the report you sent. It may have to do with the creation of any new necessary preferences, or it is getting stuck on some preference that is already set. Sometimes these can linger even after cleaning out installation files, thanks to caching, I use the following command-line to ensure everything is cleared:

Code: Select all

killall -u $USER cfprefsd

If anyone has preference/ui files that cause a crash, I’d be happy to test them on my system. The former may have personal information in it (project file names), so feel free to send that in to support. Whether or not a deep clean fixes it—it would be nice to make sure that isn’t necessary. :)

As a general note: this version should work in 10.12 onward, you do not need to install 10.14 unless you want to test out the new dark mode features.

ECJ wrote:So it’s not like some error comes up “while” Scrivener is loading any project (average loading time of 3.03 without loading any project feels way longer in comparison). Scrivener crashes/ain’t permit to load or whatever whining the very first milliseconds after I click.

In Console, click the “Errors and Faults” filter and launch Scrivener. That will show any potentially related system errors as well.
Ioa Petra'ka

EC
ECJ

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:33 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
In Console, click the “Errors and Faults” filter and launch Scrivener. That will show any potentially related system errors as well.

Which would lead us to:

fehler 16:21:20.179762 +0200 Scrivener Unable to load Info.plist exceptions (eGPUOverrides)
fehler 16:21:20.305192 +0200 Scrivener An uncaught exception was raised
fehler 16:21:20.305219 +0200 Scrivener <private>
fehler 16:21:20.305264 +0200 Scrivener <private>
fehler 16:21:20.360823 +0200 cfprefsd rejecting write of key _DKThrottledActivityLast_DKKnowledgeStorageLogging_DKKnowledgeStorageDidInsertEventsNotification:/app/usageActivityDate in { com.apple.contextstored, root, kCFPreferencesAnyHost, no container, managed: 0 } from process 133 because setting preferences outside an application's container requires user-preference-write or file-write-data sandbox access
fehler 16:21:20.361001 +0200 contextstored Couldn't write value for key _DKThrottledActivityLast_DKKnowledgeStorageLogging_DKKnowledgeStorageDidInsertEventsNotification:/app/usageActivityDate in CFPrefsPlistSource<0x7feeb9603920> (Domain: com.apple.contextstored, User: kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, ByHost: No, Container: (null), Contents Need Refresh: Yes): setting preferences outside an application's container requires user-preference-write or file-write-data sandbox access
fehler 16:21:20.361593 +0200 cfprefsd rejecting write of key _DKThrottledActivityLast_DKKnowledgeStorageLogging_DKKnowledgeStorageDidInsertLocalEventsNotification:/app/usageActivityDate in { com.apple.contextstored, root, kCFPreferencesAnyHost, no container, managed: 0 } from process 133 because setting preferences outside an application's container requires user-preference-write or file-write-data sandbox access
fehler 16:21:20.361730 +0200 contextstored Couldn't write value for key _DKThrottledActivityLast_DKKnowledgeStorageLogging_DKKnowledgeStorageDidInsertLocalEventsNotification:/app/usageActivityDate in CFPrefsPlistSource<0x7feeb9603920> (Domain: com.apple.contextstored, User: kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, ByHost: No, Container: (null), Contents Need Refresh: Yes): setting preferences outside an application's container requires user-preference-write or file-write-data sandbox access

Does this help you any further?
Scrivener Support

br
brookter

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:43 pm Post

Thanks Ioa — I've copied the CLI command for future reference...

AmberV

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:27 pm Post

Hmm, based on what I’m seeing here, I’d double-check to make sure the Mac doesn’t have a stuck quarantine flag on Scrivener. Assuming the preference logs are in reaction to Scrivener, the way those messages are phrased almost make it sound like it is running from within a sandbox, like a MAS program—but the kind of “run it anyway” approach the Mac takes to quarantined software is to put it into a little sandbox like area.

Easiest way to fix that is to use Finder to drag Scrivener into Applications manually, even if that just means copying it out somewhere else and then dragging it back in.
Ioa Petra'ka

EC
ECJ

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:47 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Easiest way to fix that is to use Finder to drag Scrivener into Applications manually, even if that just means copying it out somewhere else and then dragging it back in.

Unfortunately that didn't do the trick either. Same lines from console.
Wondering if I should delete the regular Scrivener and give it another try. On the other hand both versions are also installed for the second user as well as on the macbook.

Thanks for your suggestions though.
Scrivener Support