Beta Bugs - Post Them Here

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 am Post

Hi Alfredo,

Thanks for the information. I think one of those programs definitely has to be to blame. I had our entire team test for this, and between us we have tested it on ten different machines, all of which worked fine.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Le
LewF

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:54 pm Post

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but when I try to use keystrokes to zoom: cmd< the menu flashed (Scrivener) but does not zoom. Can zoom from menu under view though. Have no other mapping for cmd< or cmd > keystrokes.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:29 pm Post

It's Shift-Cmd-< and >, not Command on its own. Whenever keyboard shortcuts don't invoke menu items correctly, though, it is *always* caused by a conflict either with a custom shortcut or an external app, so as you have no other mappings, I would take a look at what else you have running. I say "always" because of how it works. There's no code involved in setting up keyboard shortcuts for Cocoa programs - as a programmer, you literally select the menu item in the interface file, click in a box labelled "Keyboard shortcut" and enter the shortcut you want. That's it. Everything is handled by the system from there on in. The only way, as a programmer, that you can stuff this up is by assigning the same keyboard shortcut to more than one command or by intercepting key strokes in code, neither of which is the case here. (I give this explanation only so that you know that I'm not trying to fob you off. :) )
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Le
LewF

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:17 pm Post

Keith,
Would never think you were fobbing me off :) . There was, indeed, no conflict. But the view menu lists the zoom command as: cmd-< >. There is no shift included, so I was just going off the menu command. The cmd-shift-<> works fine. Another odd quirk, I tried to find my version under Scrivener/About Scrivener and it won't come up, so maybe there are more problems than I thought. But the zoom issue is resolved.
Thanks as always.
Lew

KB
Site Admin

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:37 pm Post

Sorry, I explained that really badly. The commands are indeed Cmd-< and Cmd->, but in order to get "<" or ">" you have to hold down the shift key. Without the shift key, it would be Cmd-period and cmd-comma. So, Cmd-Shift-Period = Cmd-< and Cmd-Shift-Comma = Cmd->.

Are you saying that the "About" panel won't come up at all? If so, I recommend deleting Scrivener and re-downloading, as that would indicate a corrupt interface file.

All the best,
Keith

Lord Lightning

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:44 am Post

And do keep the hoary old Activation Required, every time Scrivener starts up, under review.

Yes, I have done the Mindvision thingy.

No big deal - just a little annoyance.

On the latest beta - 22136

Goodness me, this version is looking so good. Huge smiles.
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:06 am Post

Thanks for the kind words!

Are you saying you are being asked to activate Scrivener every single time you launch? Obviously that shouldn't be happening. Have you tried repairing your permissions, too?

All the best,
Keith

Lord Lightning

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:10 pm Post

Now, that lead me to think, what if I changed the permissions on the MindVision folders - in both Libraries - to add my personal ID (Me). I did that and applied the change to all enclosed items and no more activation issues after closing and restarting Scrivener.

Good thinking 99!
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:54 pm Post

Great! Glad it's working fine again!

aj
ajbuch

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:14 am Post

I am on the beta version 2.3.5 (22136) on a Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion. I frequently sync a project with (it says) 1633 files with my Dropbox folder. With the beta, the sync takes several minutes, much longer than it does under 2.3.1. This is after changing one file only. Also, even with an empty Scrivener Trash folder, the sync adds 1299 files to a Dropbox subfolder called "Trashed Files". I only noticed this when it had got up to the 70k files mark. The files have the standard file names, but appear to have no text.

Secondly, is the Binder meant to remember the shape of the outline when I close and reopen a parent folder? It doesn't anymore.

Thanks,
Andrew

KB
Site Admin

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:43 am Post

Nothing has changed in this regard in the beta. The files in "Trashed Files" are those that you have deleted from Scrivener's binder but which still exist in the external folder. You should check to see if you still need any of those files, and if not, delete them.

Secondly, is the Binder meant to remember the shape of the outline when I close and reopen a parent folder? It doesn't anymore.

It remembers them in-session, but not if you close and re-open the project, the same as it has always been.

All the best,
Keith

aj
ajbuch

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:14 am Post

KB wrote:The files in "Trashed Files" are those that you have deleted from Scrivener's binder but which still exist in the external folder.

I empty the "Trashed Files" folder, and after my next "File -> Sync -> with External Folder Now" over a thousand files appear again. I empty it again, sync again (having deleted no files in the binder in the meantime, and changed one), and the files appear again.

Is that really what the program is meant to be doing? The files that I checked (several, but not all 1000+ of them) in the "Trashed Files" folder are simply the previous copies of files in the Drafts or Notes folders, files that are still in the Binder. Not all files in the Drafts or Notes folders are being copied, but I can't see a pattern in which ones aren't.

Dropbox is really busy during the sync, and appears to go through the file list (or much of it) twice. At the end, the six files in the Dropbox "Recently Changed Files" menu list are from the Drafts and Notes folders, even though only one file was changed in Scrivener. It is as if Scrivener decides that approx 75% of the files need updating (I repeat: only one was changed, and nothing deleted), moves the existing copies of those files from the Drafts or Notes folder to the "Trashed Files" folder, and then copies the originals over to Drafts or Notes.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:08 am Post

Have you renamed these files at all so that they no longer have the numerical prefixes in the file names?

aj
ajbuch

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:37 am Post

KB wrote:Have you renamed these files at all so that they no longer have the numerical prefixes in the file names?

No, I haven't done anything except remove files from the Trashed Files folder after the sync.

aj
ajbuch

Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:45 am Post

ajbuch wrote:
KB wrote:Have you renamed these files at all so that they no longer have the numerical prefixes in the file names?

No, I haven't done anything except remove files from the Trashed Files folder after the sync.

I had a look at the <project>/Settings/User/folder-sync.plist file, and it looks like the problem is there. The "deletedDocIDs" array includes thousands of ids, including precisely those ids (what is between the "-" in the external folder file names) that are turning up in the Trashed Files folder, that is, it has a large number of ids marked as deleted that are in fact not deleted. My project has been in heavy use for several years, is it possible that you are reusing ids? Or should the list be reset once the sync has moved the deleted files to Trashed Files?

I assume that if I actually have no deleted files, then it is safe to manually empty that array (after closing the project).