Scrivener 1.1 (1.055b) Public Beta - new and updated (AGAIN)

antony

Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:27 pm Post

Sorry, I wasn't clear - the popup menu is there, and I'm definitely in Screenplay format. But I can't make it pop up with a keyboard shortcut, like I could in 1.03.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:51 pm Post

Wow, lots of posts today. Please do take the time to get back to me on these issues:

Studio717 - the inspector button in the regular toolbar has nothing to do with the one in full screen. They are separate modes and thus have independent settings.

jkr - if you split the text of a folder with selection as title, the new file will be a folder (provided the folder you are splitting has no children). That is discussed in the release notes. If you are talking about a different situation, please clarify.

mcbend - in situations like this it is always best to send me the project, to support@literatureandlatte.com (incidentally, there is no beta 2.5.5 :) ). Do make sure that your files have "Include in export" checked and that they are definitely contained inside the Draft folder, and that the appropriate selection is made in the "Content" part of the Export Draft sheet. There is no reason that the files would not appear in Export Draft otherwise (also ensure that you have not selected a subfolder from the pop-up button at the top of the Export Draft sheet). Please do take the time to post either way, about whether this is actually a bug or whether the preceding information helps you find out your problem. And like I say, if not, a test project would be really helpful.

Antony - the screenplay format has changed, so it it is slightly different between 1.03 and the new beta. This means it won't get recognised (this is the last time something like this will ever happen, as now the user can completely customise the script format). I have indeed changed the popup menu back to cmd-Y, but it is probably still cmd-space in the beta that is available, as I have not released an update for a couple of weeks.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

St
Studio717

Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:24 pm Post

KB wrote:Wow, lots of posts today. Please do take the time to get back to me on these issues:

Studio717 - the inspector button in the regular toolbar has nothing to do with the one in full screen. They are separate modes and thus have independent settings.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hi, Keith,

I was basing my comment on this post (emphasis mine):

dagaz wrote:I think I've discovered another small bug. When in full screen mode open the Inspector and then close it with the close box. Exit full screen mode. Now every time you enter full screen mode the Inspector will be there, even if you close it every time. It will keep doing this until you use the Inspector button in the toolbar to close the Inspector.

My post was to say that this fix didn't work for me. That's all.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:18 pm Post

Yes, I know - that post was about the inspector button in the control panel in full screen mode, though, and nothing to do with the inspector in the toolbar in regular mode, which is what you were talking about, as I understand it. The bug mentioned there is already fixed for the next version. But whether the inspector is open in regular mode or not will still have no effect on whether the inspector is open in full screen mode, as that has never been the intention.

Best,
Keith

antony

Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:34 pm Post

KB wrote:Antony - the screenplay format has changed, so it it is slightly different between 1.03 and the new beta. This means it won't get recognised

Ah, bugger. So I should have fired up the beta before importing and reformatting, I guess? I assume this also explains why the 're-capitalize' gixmo doesn't work...

I have indeed changed the popup menu back to cmd-Y, but it is probably still cmd-space in the beta that is available, as I have not released an update for a couple of weeks.

And cmd-space is mapped to Spotlight on my system, so that explains that. Cheers :)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:38 pm Post

Antony - exactly right, unfortunately. It's a bit of a bugger that I wasn't able to settle on a final scriptwriting system until the new beta, which will make upgrading a tiny bit painful, but after this things should be plain sailing. And the cmd-space thing is exactly why it is getting changed back to cmd-Y. :)

Best,
Keith

lenf

Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:13 pm Post

Don't know for sure this is the place to report, or how it might apply, but using the current beta today I noticed a very odd bit of behaviour I've not seen elsewhere.

Opening a file, the text panel had perhaps a paragraph of normal text, and then a couple of paragraphs of what looked like text that had become very smeared and distorted, then another paragraph or so of normal text.

As soon as I started scrolling, the text all went normal again. I saved, worked, closed, etc. without issues. (But I did, unlike my normal habit, make a backup after my writing session... grin).

Don't know what else to report about it. My system (10.4.9) has been very stable, and I've not seen goofy text anywhere else.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:10 pm Post

Anything like this?

The above is from TextEdit - the "smearing" of text is a bug with the OS X text system that occurs upon certain scroll/window resize conditions. It may well be fixed in Leopard (I hope).

Best,
Keith

lenf

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:23 pm Post

KB wrote:Anything like this?

Yeah, looked just like that! (grin)

Thanks for the reply!

ac
accentedeuropean

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:55 pm Post

So how stable is this, can I use it as a replacement for regular Scrivener or install it on the side? (Sorry if this has been asked before)
Vincent

jk
jkr

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:01 pm Post

Rock-solid. I just completed an academic book with it. 100k words, charts, research, tables, and all. Scrivener is simply fantastic, even as a beta :D

ac
accentedeuropean

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:03 pm Post

Cool, thanks! Downloading now!
Vincent

antony

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:26 pm Post

I don't know if this is strictly a beta issue, or if it was the same in 1.03, but seeing as the general implementation has changed, I figured it should go in here...

- Lock a document in place in the editor;
- Split the screen;
- Work in the second, non-locked split, which gives it the focus;
- Use the keyboard shortcut to close the split;
- The non-locked document becomes the full active editor document. The split with the locked document closes.

Is this deliberate, an oversight, or simply impossible to change? I realise the non-locked split has the focus, but I expected the locked split to remain open in the editor.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:38 pm Post

accentedeuropean wrote:So how stable is this, can I use it as a replacement for regular Scrivener or install it on the side? (Sorry if this has been asked before)

As stated, it is extremely stable. I would recommend against running it on the side, however. This update will upgrade your projects to a new format, and while it keeps a backup of the old format to be safe, the new project will become damaged if you accidentally open it with the old version of Scrivener.

So it is definitely safest to just run one at a time.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ac
accentedeuropean

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:01 pm Post

Will do, thanks Amber.
Vincent