Scrivener 1.1 (1.055b) Public Beta - new and updated (AGAIN)

ta
talazem
Platform: Mac

Tue May 22, 2007 3:58 pm Post

Looking forward to trying the new beta, but like Mark and others above, I use 3 different keyboards on my Mac for three different languages; cmd-space is a problem. Any hope on another combo? For what it's worth, I've been using cmd-shift-y to switch to Bookends dozens of times a day for the past week or so, and don't see a problem with that combo, especially as the change now affects the language keyboard defaults.

KB
Site Admin

Tue May 22, 2007 5:53 pm Post

Lord Lightning wrote:I am about to say something and then duck for cover: I wonder if it might be possible to pop the letter codes for calling Scene Heading (s), Action (a), Character (c) etc, into little icon boxes somewhere (Scroll panel maybe) when you choose screenplay mode. That way they would be clickable and visible while working on a screenplay.

Huh? I don't understand. Just hit cmd-space to bring up the menu and then hit the key. I don't really get the suggestion, I think.

MicMac wrote:Cosmetics

Go to Script Settings > Paragraph

The popup buttons for Alignment and Spacing are way to wide.

No they are not. They are absolutely fine. The whole panel is based on the Final Draft one, but that is besides the point. They extend across to the standard 20-pixels-from-right-margin. If they didn't do this, they would only go half-way across and look very ugly. I cannot really believe this is worth bringing up anyway. You get incredibly flexible customisation of the whole script formatting process and you are worried about the width of pop-up buttons? :roll: :)

As for command-space: I didn't realise about the conflict. I'll happily change it back for the next beta, so we can leave further discussion on that out as I will fix it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Best,
Keith

ka
kastorff

Tue May 22, 2007 6:43 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:Then I can only assume neither you, nor anyone else who has assigned cmd-space to do anything else, switches keyboards ... As soon as you set the "input menu" to on, cmd-space is set to "Previous input source". See the attached image.
As soon as I have installed or turned on other languages and keyboards on all the systems from 8.5 and up, through all the varieties of 9, 10, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 to my current 10.4.9, Cmd-space has automatically been allocated to keyboard switching..
Mark

I've had the input menu on...a lot. Spell Catcher uses it. I never had Cmd - Space remap to keyboard switching automatically. I suggest that what you've observed is specific to your configuration. I will assume the post remapping behavior I've observed is specific to my configuration. However, there is no question that Cmd - Space on a freshly installed English language OS X 10.4 machine is the default Spotlight search keystroke.
Keith Kastorff

KB
Site Admin

Tue May 22, 2007 6:56 pm Post

...so we can leave further discussion on that out as I will fix it.

;)

ka
kastorff

Tue May 22, 2007 7:02 pm Post

KB wrote:
...so we can leave further discussion on that out as I will fix it.

;)

That cuts both ways. :)
Keith Kastorff

KB
Site Admin

Tue May 22, 2007 7:24 pm Post

D'oh! :D

Ma
Maria

Tue May 22, 2007 9:36 pm Post

bhpascal wrote:cmd-space is also the default OS X thingee for spotlight. Perhaps ctrl-space?

Ah yes, I remember when Spotlight came up they hinted on turning that shortcut off for users who need several keyboards. One click some years ago, and I never thought about it.

But as many use this shortcut for Spotlight, it might be taboo for an application...

Maria

Edit: Read the rest of the discussion later, so, no worries any more...

xiamenese

Tue May 22, 2007 10:57 pm Post

Maria wrote:
bhpascal wrote:cmd-space is also the default OS X thingee for spotlight. Perhaps ctrl-space?

Ah yes, I remember when Spotlight came up they hinted on turning that shortcut off for users who need several keyboards. One click some years ago, and I never thought about it.

But as many use this shortcut for Spotlight, it might be taboo for an application...

Maria

Edit: Read the rest of the discussion later, so, no worries any more...

... I'll eat crow! Yes, Maria, you have reminded me that when I first upgraded to 10.4 I had that "What the *?!$" moment when I wanted to kill Apple 'cos I pressed cmd-space to switch keyboard and got Spotlight! Then I found the tip ...
It was long ago and one click!
Sorry Keith, but I thought I should make some kind of an apology to your namesake ... But thank you, thank you for changing things back again.
:?
Mark

Lord Lightning

Wed May 23, 2007 3:43 am Post

Only take this half seriously Keith.

I wonder if it might be possible to pop the letter codes for calling Scene Heading (s), Action (a), Character (c) etc, into little icon boxes somewhere (Scroll panel maybe) when you choose screenplay mode. That way they would be clickable and visible while working on a screenplay.

Just hit cmd-space to bring up the menu and then hit the key. I don't really get the suggestion, I think.

This is the sort of thing I had in mind:
Attachments
buttons.jpg
buttons.jpg (19.12 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

KB
Site Admin

Wed May 23, 2007 5:49 pm Post

Lol. :) No, is the answer, LL. Imagine if you had 20 scene elements, or 50? At any rates, I think this would be rather horrible and ugly. The scroll bar would be cramped into a small space. And besides, that is the whole purpose of the menu. It seems a bizarre suggestion, given that FD has no such thing. Is this an idea from MMS? Anyway, like I say, a big no way to that one. :)

Oh, and to everyone else: Please stop the cmd-space discussion!!! I have already said it will change back. I have already changed it back on the development version, in fact. Boy oh boy. Right, glad that's out of my system. :D

All the best,
Keith

al
alb

Wed May 23, 2007 6:09 pm Post

Noticing a problem on my system with Quicktime videos in research.

From the following page:

http://macromates.com/screencasts

I've saved and imported the two 'Objective-C' screencasts. They reside in the same folder under Research.

These videos have different aspect ratios. When I switch directly from the 'tall' one to the 'wide' one, the wide one has garbage below it from the tall one, and the Quicktime play control bar is partially overlaid by the garbage.

The issue does not occur if I switch to a document (web capture, draft text, etc.) between the videos.

KB
Site Admin

Wed May 23, 2007 7:03 pm Post

This sounds like a QuickTime view redrawing bug. I'm not sure there is much I can do about it as it is an Apple redrawing issue...
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

mi
michaelbywater

Wed May 23, 2007 7:36 pm Post

Opening folders as Scrivenings: wonderful.

Problem (bug? intentional?) is, reclicking on the SAME folder with the modifier down (or not, depending on your Prefs) doesn't then open that folder as outline/corkboard. You have to click another folder -- any other folder -- then go back to the one you're interested in and ... what shall we call it? "Opposite-click"? "Toggle-click"? ... anyway, the opposite way, for it to work.

Is this clear? I can't tell. I'm quitting smoking and my grasp of language has slackened horribly.

KB
Site Admin

Wed May 23, 2007 9:07 pm Post

That's not a bug... It has to open it somehow, there are three ways, and so that is just how it is set up. This option was really for those who have little need of the corkboard or outline and always want Edit Scrivenings when they click on a folder.

However, I added a better option for the next beta for the rest of us - in the next beta if you are in any of the other modes, you can function-click on a folder to open it in Edit Scrivenings. In other words, clicking on it normally will open the corkboard or whatever, but an Fn-click will open it in Edit Scrivenings. This will be a better option for those who do use the corkboard, outliner and so on and so forth.

Best,
Keith

Kh
Khadrelt

Wed May 23, 2007 9:10 pm Post

Will there be an equivalent for keyboards that don't have a 'fn' key?