Latest Catalina beta doing something visually weird to Scrivener

lo
locuscoeruleus
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:28 pm Post

Argh, confirmed.

When people ask me why I still have my g4 powerbook I respond by getting my 5300c out of the basement...

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:58 pm Post

That old G4 Titanium was a classic; they are arguably still making lookalikes of that design. I’d be as reluctant to let go one of those, as I would an old 1984 Macintosh!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

su
suavito
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Are you sure it isn’t coming up underneath the edge of the window? This resizing bug means that the interior of the window doesn’t match the exterior, so to speak. I’ve run into situations where splits can get lost.

Well, the Scrivener window does expand to the right when I click to show the Inspector. But just the editor pane expands and no Inspector is visible. It might be underneath the editor pane but how can I tell? And from the user's perspective it doesn't make any difference if the Inspector is not there at all or just buried.

Catalin-argh would be very shabby wordplay but apt, I'd say.
Author’s Preface

I wrote this book in less than two hours. I think I’ve made as much of it as one could in such a short time.

Eugen Egner, Androids from Milk

an
anderswt

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:58 pm Post

I have exactly the same problem as Mats on Catalina, although im running 3.1.3 of Sciverner on MacOs.

AmberV

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:06 pm Post

And from the user’s perspective it doesn’t make any difference if the Inspector is not there at all or just buried.

Sure, mainly I am just trying to ascertain whether there is another bug entirely that makes it so the inspector doesn’t work after a bit, or if it’s just part of the same resizing bug.

The best way to see if it is there, that I can tell:

1. Make sure it is closed, verifying that the menu command reads, View ▸ Show Inspector and not “Hide”.
  2. Close and reopen the project to reset the window layout.
  3. Shrink the window width down as narrow as it will go.
  4. Try to open the inspector.

Since the narrowest width is too narrow for the inspector and the editor to fit, it will force the window to expand, and it should appear.

Now if upon doing step 3 you see the right side of the editor vanish and crop outside of view—then yes, the inspector can pop up entirely outside of what the window can show.

Catalin-argh would be very shabby wordplay but apt, I’d say.

’bout right though! Nice to see you around the forum again, even if not on the best of days.
Ioa Petra'ka

t3
t3l01v
Platform: Windows

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:59 pm Post

Same issue, though I'm not using the Beta for Catalina, I just installed the update. Opened my Scrivener project and finding the same result- my editor window doesn't increase in size when I go full screen.

Just starting to look for info on the issue. Any chance this has been resolved and the fix will go out with the new version of Scrivener folks have been talking about?

cj
cjhawkings

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 am Post

scottyweeks wrote:On the official Catalina release, installed yesterday. I'm getting the same thing. It's as if the rendering region of the window decides on an arbitrary width and the rest of the workspace just renders black/background. If I resize the left edge of the window it does not resize the content along with it.

Mine's dong this too! I've been using it to do an assignment and I'm not happy! I use Scrivener for everything and Catalina's just stuffed it up!

cj
cjhawkings

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 am Post

marcoiac wrote:Hard to describe, but if you have the problem you'll know what I am talking about. Both the upper and rightmost part of the Scrivener window have some blank sectors that should not be there. Is it only me or it's a known issue?

I should also say that I was traveling and haven't used Scrivener much in the last four weeks or so and perhaps the issue is not with the latest beta? (Which, btw, seems to have solved all those pesky iCloud issues...)

It's definitely not just you. I updated to Catalina yesterday and I went to work on a class assignment, and it was glitchy. I said to a friend something wasn't right with it.

lo
locuscoeruleus
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:35 pm Post

AmberV wrote:That old G4 Titanium was a classic; they are arguably still making lookalikes of that design. I’d be as reluctant to let go one of those, as I would an old 1984 Macintosh!

sadly it was the first aluminium. the first 17" I'm going to see if I can score a Ti on ebay now.

ALSO I realized that I can just open pieces of my document in external windows and put them next to each other. not as awesome as the split view with the full screen, but now I can get some work done.

AmberV

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:47 pm Post

Feel the raw power of a 400MHz processor driving 1gb of RAM! Crazy to think Mac OS X ran on that thing, especially given how bloated and unoptimised it was back then.

ALSO I realized that I can just open pieces of my document in external windows and put them next to each other. not as awesome as the split view with the full screen, but now I can get some work done.

Good trick, I noticed as well that Quick Reference panels are unaffected, even with their split inspector viewer.

By the way: good news! Keith tracked down the problem to what appears to be a missed underlying hookup to keep fixed layout style windows functional. There is a way to patch around it, and I’m happy to report the project window looks solid now. We should be getting this fix out (along with all other major 10.15 bugs that have been reported) very soon.
Ioa Petra'ka

xiamenese

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:47 pm Post

AmberV wrote:That old G4 Titanium was a classic; they are arguably still making lookalikes of that design. I’d be as reluctant to let go one of those, as I would an old 1984 Macintosh!

I have one of those … the lower spec of the two that were produced. Sadly, I need a functioning power pack for it!

:)
Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

t3
t3l01v
Platform: Windows

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:17 am Post

AmberV wrote:There is a way to patch around it, and I’m happy to report the project window looks solid now. We should be getting this fix out (along with all other major 10.15 bugs that have been reported) very soon.

Very cool, thank you for all the hard work and for keeping the software up to date. I purchased from the Apple store, will the update appear automatically like other apps?

I really love Scrivener. Thank you.

cj
cjhawkings

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:53 am Post

Attention all! A tweet was issued by Literature and Latte twitter account and they say to hold off updating to Catalina. However, I've already done it so I'm just going to wait until the update for Scrivener comes out.

kewms

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:25 am Post

t3l01v wrote:Very cool, thank you for all the hard work and for keeping the software up to date. I purchased from the Apple store, will the update appear automatically like other apps?

Yes. Note that the App Store update will lag behind the direct sale version, due to Apple's review process.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

xt
xthursdayx

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:17 pm Post

Same issue here it seems. I upgraded to Catalina without thinking about it and now my thesis chapter is displaying strangely on the second monitor. The editor seems to be stuck in fixed width at 1280. It was smaller than that originally, but I was able to get it to 1280 by going to Preferences > Appearance > Main Editor > Option > Default editor width > "Use current", which resized to 1280, even though the screen I'm on is much larger than that. I reset this to 0, but this doesn't seem to do anything.

What it looks like:
https://imgur.com/A5fZbR1