iCloud and Obsolescence (Split from Published!...)

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:20 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
Siren wrote:I sympathise with your wife, pigfender.

I get that a lot.

The question you should ask is "why?"
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:25 pm Post

I didn't mean it that way!!! :-)
Literature & Latte support team

Jaysen

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:35 pm Post

Siren wrote:I didn't mean it that way!!! :-)

As I frequently tell my kids, team, and every stranger who hears me mumbling on the street corners, it isn't what you meant, it's how folks choose to twist what you say that really matters.

Politics anyone?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:51 pm Post

Siren, I showed Mrs Pigfender your post, and she is encouraged that "the internet agrees" with her.

She also wants a spirit level app now.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Siren

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:57 pm Post

What sane person wouldn't want a spirit level app? :D
Literature & Latte support team

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:58 pm Post

nom wrote:...and I consider Lion to be a great OS that is almost ready to come out of beta, hence I was more than a little surprised to see Apple recently begin touting Mountain Lion - I view it as marketing code for "Lion with the worst of the bugs fixed"....

Remember Snow Leopard, the fix for that horrible explosion of rushed coding called Leopard? It's either that or they panicked when the realised they'd already used the king of cats and needed an interim release before presenting OS X 11, the universal operating system for all devices and computers. :twisted:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

nom

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:47 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
nom wrote:...and I consider Lion to be a great OS that is almost ready to come out of beta, hence I was more than a little surprised to see Apple recently begin touting Mountain Lion - I view it as marketing code for "Lion with the worst of the bugs fixed"....

Remember Snow Leopard, the fix for that horrible explosion of rushed coding called Leopard? It's either that or they panicked when the realised they'd already used the king of cats and needed an interim release before presenting OS X 11, the universal operating system for all devices and computers. :twisted:

Ahh, Leopard. The good ol' days.
Snow Leopard, however, was solid. It was a revelation how stable an OS could be; I think it only panicked on me once (maybe not even that). Sadly, much as I like (most of) Lion, I haven't had so many kernel panics or forced restarts since… well, since Leopard. Actually, even Leopard may have been more stable than Lion has proved to be. Even so, I can't help but like Lion despite its flaws.

In an attempt to appear that I am at least aiming to be vaguely on topic, I wonder if OS XI will include a built-in iSpirit level?
Last edited by nom on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Jaysen

Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:09 pm Post

Odd. I'm typically a person who finds new ways to break things. Kind of a hobby. Lion hasn't exploded on my yet. Granted I haven't really be trying to do bad things to it yet. I might be able to have fun again.
Jaysen

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:34 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Siren, I showed Mrs Pigfender your post, and she is encouraged that "the internet agrees" with her. She also wants a spirit level app now.
Rog! This is serious, under no circumstances must you allow Mrs Rog to make contact with Siren! I can't stress this enough!...UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9UBmSjsX5Q
Even at this very moment, as I type these words, I feel soul chilling zephyrs emanating from the screen before me.
I must go and find a clove of garlic, or some garlic purée to rub over my body.
Be extra vigilant Rog
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

nom

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:41 am Post

Jaysen wrote:Odd. I'm typically a person who finds new ways to break things. Kind of a hobby. Lion hasn't exploded on my yet. Granted I haven't really be trying to do bad things to it yet. I might be able to have fun again.

Try some really technical things like web surfing or checking email. Or maybe running two or three apps simultaneously (or even more if you're daring!). If really want to stress Lion, allow it to make a Time Machine back up while you do the above. Watch as your wifi drops without notice, or Safari quits unexpectedly, or a random app freezes, or the entire system becomes unresponsive and may or may not recover. Then check your logs to discover… nothing. :roll:

I could go on, but perhaps in another thread. This is supposed to be about vampire spirit levels (or something, I got a little lost a few posts back).

ex
exegete77
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:57 pm Post

nom wrote:
Jaysen wrote:Odd. I'm typically a person who finds new ways to break things. Kind of a hobby. Lion hasn't exploded on my yet. Granted I haven't really be trying to do bad things to it yet. I might be able to have fun again.

Try some really technical things like web surfing or checking email. Or maybe running two or three apps simultaneously (or even more if you're daring!). If really want to stress Lion, allow it to make a Time Machine back up while you do the above. Watch as your wifi drops without notice, or Safari quits unexpectedly, or a random app freezes, or the entire system becomes unresponsive and may or may not recover. Then check your logs to discover… nothing. :roll:

I could go on, but perhaps in another thread. This is supposed to be about vampire spirit levels (or something, I got a little lost a few posts back).

I have done all that on both a brand new iMac 21" and a four year old MBP. In fact, this morning I was using Time Machine, web surfing, checking email, and creating a blog post in Mellel. And not even a whisper of a problem with Lion. Very rarely I have an occacional freeze with Apple Mail. No other software has experienced any kind of change (Tinderbox, Scrivener, Mellel, Nisus Writer, Accordance, DevonThink Pro, LibreOffice, Chromium, Safari, Firefox, Bookends, etc.). I installed Lion the day after Thanksgiving on the MBP, the same day I purchased the iMac.

AmberV

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:08 pm Post

Or just try using Quick Look, and wait ten or fifteen seconds while it does who knows what in the background, and you can't do anything until it finishes figuring out how to draw a grey rectangle. Or loading a .txt file in TextEdit, something that used to take several milliseconds but now takes seconds---anything involving the new auto-save/version system seems to require a whole lot of tectonic plate movement to present windows that previously were instantaneously delivered. It's not that these seconds are a major malfunction in the grand scheme of things, but it's just perpetually annoying when doing things that previously happened so quickly they couldn't be measured, now take visible and countable amounts of time to accomplish.
Ioa Petra'ka

Jaysen

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:34 pm Post

I'm not seeing any of that. Keep in mind I have my mac at a ridiculously lean level of crud. I aggressively remove andy Adobe or MS product, I run nothing other than dropbox at login, no text expanders, extensions (other than scriv) to context menus, etc.

I wonder if there is some other common thing that you folks are hitting.
Jaysen

AmberV

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:21 pm Post

Unfortunately I need Adobe CS on the computer, so I can't avoid it. I suppose one could argue that my system is on the edge of old, though I wouldn't, as it is only about four years old now, Apple probably would (in fact I need to check if it will work with 10.8 at all). I don't think text expanders or other input level processes would unduly impact the instantiation of Quick Look windows or the auto-save sub-system. It's not the QL data itself. That comes up instantly enough for me in programs that stream QL, like Scrivener and DTP. I don' t know; it is frustrating enough that I wish I could just turn of QL entirely. I never really use it, and every errant spacebar hit triggers this seconds long pause in whatever I was in the middle of doing. Maybe I'll try to fix it, now that I know at least one person doesn't have the problem.
Ioa Petra'ka

nom

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:38 am Post

Glad to know others have a pain free experience of Lion, but sad that I'm not one of them. The moment I upgraded to Lion, my system went from problem free to… not exactly problem riddled, more irritatingly slow with occasional bugs. Soon after the upgrade, I did a complete fresh install (and I mean "complete", wiped the hard drive completely and installed from scratch). This improved things no end (I was no longer afraid my Mac crash during a lecture), but it has never approached the stability of SL.

I figured it was because my MBP was over 3 years old but, given comments above, maybe not. The other major factor I considered was free space on my hard drive (with partitions for Lion recovery disk and BootCamp I'm down to about 20% free space). Maybe there's a rogue service causing havoc (can't find mention in the logs, although I'm no expert so probably wouldn't recognise the culprit even it introduced itself). Or maybe I'm just lucky. I know that I'm not alone with the wifi bug - there are many reports of it on the Apple boards and it seems to be a different problem than the wake from sleep wifi bug fixed by 10.7.3. If I can create another free day, I may try another fresh install.

Having said all that, I still think the upgrade to Lion was worth it. Probably could be improved with a spirit level…