Index Card for iPad

ri
rickdude

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:04 am Post

Wow, sounds like an interesting workflow. If you write about it anywhere, please link to it from here!

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:09 am Post

rickdude wrote:Wow, sounds like an interesting workflow. If you write about it anywhere, please link to it from here!

Tell you the truth, I want to refine the workflow and then might write it up, but the translation-editing side of my job is taking up so much of my time and energy that I spend my time muddling through.
Originally in the era BS, my workflow started with OmniOutlinerPro, clipping information or writing up information in a rather basic outline. OOP has the great advantage that, provided you keep it simple, it can export to a basic Keynote file and to RTF. So I'd put together the content of the lecture in OOP, making any diagrams in OmniGraffle Pro, then export it to Keynote where I'd tart it up suitably for presentation, and also to RTF, which I'd open originally in InDesign, but following 10.5 upgrade in Nisus Writer Pro — I couldn't afford the upgrade from ID CS1 to more modern versions — to fill out and write up fully and format, then print as PDF which I made available to my students. The great thing about OOP, NWP, OGP and Keynote is that they all support Linkback, so having copied and pasted the graphics into any of the others, if necessary, a double-click on the pasted version would open it in OGP for any amendments.
Having since started working with Scriv, I wish to go from a .scriv, exported to RTF for NWP on the one hand — only formatting to be done — and to OPML on the other to open in OOP and subsequently pass on to Keynote. But, as I say, on the one hand, my translation-editing work is taking over, and on the other, fortunately, most of the work on my lectures comes down to refining the content and presentation of the previous year's lecture.
This year there have been changes to my courses, so I hope to implement the new flow as a result, but for the moment, I am totally, but totally, swamped with editing, so any new lecture material has to be done on the fly using the original flow.
All of which said, I do think this would form a good basis for a "Lecture series" template for Scriv 2.0, and there are those on this forum who would be able to contribute to that even more significantly than me.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

De
DenVogel

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:50 pm Post

Key addition is the ability to write Notes on the back of cards. Unlike card title or synopsis, notes are not included in export or searches. A few minor tweaks, and a couple bug fixes as well. Thanks.

De
DenVogel

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:22 pm Post

Version 1.4 of Index Card for iPad should appear on the iTunes App store any moment. Many enhancements. Free upgrade for existing users.
Index Card v1.4 - What's New
Here's a partial list of improvements. Many addressing user requests:
  • Sync with Scrivener 2.0
  • Expand Outline: The height of rows will automatically expand to display longer synopsis on screen
  • Duplicate cards on the corkboard
  • Move cards between projects
  • 6 new color label choices (14 total) and made pre-existing colors more vibrant so they are easier to distinguish on screen
  • Projects sent to Dropbox now appear in their own "IndexCard" folder
  • Importing projects now asks if you want to Replace an existing project or Save New project
  • Increased the width of the project title field on the toolbar to accommodate longer names
Last edited by DenVogel on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redfox
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:48 pm Post

Hi Den

I thought you'd like to know that your app (and its ability to sync with Scrivener 2.0) was one of the deciding factors in my buying an iPad a few days ago - Index Card looks gorgeous and is already proving a cornerstone of my NaNoWriMo 2010 preparations!

I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but when syncing with Scriv 2.0, do the contents of the index cards go into the synopsis (the logical place, at least from a user's point of view) or the main part of the document? I guess I'll find out when I get my hands on 2.0, but I was just wondering...
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

De
DenVogel

Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm Post

Redfox wrote:I thought you'd like to know that your app (and its ability to sync with Scrivener 2.0) was one of the deciding factors in my buying an iPad a few days ago - Index Card looks gorgeous and is already proving a cornerstone of my NaNoWriMo 2010 preparations!

Thanks very much. Obviously this would not be possible without Keith's work, and decision to allow the sync with Index Card. Enjoy your iPad!

Redfox wrote:I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but when syncing with Scriv 2.0, do the contents of the index cards go into the synopsis (the logical place, at least from a user's point of view) or the main part of the document?

I think you'll find that the fields that exist in both apps will match up when trading documents between the two apps. Meaning Title <-> Title, and Synopsis <-> Synopsis.

Redfox
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:59 pm Post

Thanks - I notice David conveniently posted a tutorial today that explains this very clearly. Kudos to all you guys for the great software!
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

De
DenVogel

Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:21 pm Post

Redfox wrote:Thanks - I notice David conveniently posted a tutorial today that explains this very clearly. Kudos to all you guys for the great software!

Yes. Many thanks to David for taking time to put this together. Here is a link to the video for Scrivener 2 Basics - Syncing with Index Card

I've been cleared to let you know that the ability to synch with Scrivener 2.0 is already in the Index Card v1.4 release. So as soon as you get your hands on it, you'll be set to trade projects. :D

Again many thanks to Keith for working with me on this.
Last edited by DenVogel on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Lightning

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 am Post

:D Works for me! I like.
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

De
DenVogel

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:41 pm Post

Index Card for iPad v2 was recently released. It's a free update for existing users, and only $4.99 for newbies. Several new features, addressing top user requests.
  • Stacks: Group cards together under a single heading. On the corkboard, stacked cards appear under a single binder clip icon (similar to iOS 4 Folders). In outline view, a blue heading row identifies the stack beginning and end, with associated cards indented as sub-items in the hierarchy.
  • Custom label names: Customize the text associated with each label color (e.g. Green is "Protagonist").
  • Notes Export: Optionally include card notes when exporting your project.
  • Notes Indicator: The Flip-to-back button displays blue when editing a card that has text in the notes field
  • Notes Text Field Focus: The Notes text field is now ready for typing when you flip a card over. You no longer need to tap the back of the card for the cursor and keyboard to appear.
  • Quicker Scrolling: The corkboard now scrolls faster when rearranging cards.
  • Auto save: Index Card now performs auto save of your projects more frequently.
One additional thing I'd like to highlight is the way stacks are displayed in outline view. I think users will find the stack end indicator pretty innovative. It allows you to fully utilize iPad gestures to drag cards in and out of stacks when viewing their project as an outline. Other outline implementations on the iPad require users to tap buttons to move items in the hierarchy, or won't allow sub-items to be dropped in as the last item of a group. This is because other apps can't tell if an item is meant to be the last row in the heading above or the first row in the heading below.

I hope you find the investment I've continue to make to the app useful. You can see updated screen shots on the app web page.

PS - Sync with Scrivener should continue to work as before (e.g. card title, synopsis, and order). If you have stacks in Index Card, they will not be recognized by Scrivener, but your cards and their order should be properly maintained.

su
sumnerg

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:22 pm Post

DenVogel wrote:If you have stacks in Index Card, they will not be recognized by Scrivener, but your cards and their order should be properly maintained.

Very nice! Stacks really help with limited screen space. Scrivener maintains the collection 'flat' view, changing the order as needed. Now if Scrivener could also sync the 'hierarchy.' :)

IR
IRJH
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:55 am Post

I know my brain parts are not interconnected in a proper way and I know noone will like this suggestion because there are likely many good reasons against it but:

what if Index Cards would sync what is in the synopsis field with scrivener synopsis and the notes with the actual scrivener text?

I am just asking, what if. it is not an offense, both programs are great. just consider it (maybe write the notes together with synopsis and and the actual text in the notes field as a workaround for then wrongly named fields, on the pluss side there would be sync...Oh yeahh I know I wrote it in the first sentence of the posting already).

KB
Site Admin

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:29 am Post

Index Card recently added the ability to export the notes from the back of the index card into the .indexcard file, so this is down to Scrivener now - it's on my list for 2.0.5 or 2.0.6 to look at this. Obviously the notes on the back of the cards are plain text and Scrivener is rich text, so you may lose formatting, but I already have code in place to handle that for Simplenote and external folder sync which I'll reuse. So this should be coming to Scrivener in the next few months.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

jg
jgindi

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:24 am Post

Woo Hoo, three cheers for wonderful software developers working together. :D Now that Index Card has stacks, and Scrivener can sync notes, we are getting closer to true convergence. Any chance Scrivener will be able to sync Index Card stacks? Denvogal, any chance Index Card will get nested stacks? Taken together that will go a long way toward Index Card working as a stripped down scrivener for the iPad.

KB
Site Admin

Sun May 01, 2011 12:13 am Post

jgindi wrote:Any chance Scrivener will be able to sync Index Card stacks?

No, sorry. They are rather different to folders in Scrivener, and there are no plans for full folder sync to any external program at the moment because of the pitfalls involved. Index Card sync is already rather cool though. :)

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."