iPad as a writing/research tool

dh
dhruva

Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:29 pm Post

I just wrote my first short story on the ipad, using the pages app. It felt very weird to use something other than Scrivener. For close to 3 yrs, I have been using Scrivener for any sort of writing, from blog posts to scientific papers. The thing that bothered me the most was the lack of Typewriter scrolling. And having to touch the screen to make some quick correction. I'm waiting to get the draft into scrivener, so I can rewrite in peace.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:28 pm Post

A new thread for iA Writer. Looks like it might turn out to be a nice alternative to the upcoming, but as yet unreleased, PlainText, by Hog Bay Software, in that it offers Dropbox support, and will thus potentially work well with Scrivener's upcoming DB support methods.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ga
Gaijin de Moscu

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:49 pm Post

dhruva wrote:I just wrote my first short story on the ipad, using the pages app. It felt very weird to use something other than Scrivener. For close to 3 yrs, I have been using Scrivener for any sort of writing, from blog posts to scientific papers. The thing that bothered me the most was the lack of Typewriter scrolling. And having to touch the screen to make some quick correction. I'm waiting to get the draft into scrivener, so I can rewrite in peace.

I'm doing the same to my whole novel. I exported the chapters from Scrivener into Pages and loaded them onto iPad via iDisk. Now my novel is fully portable and I can be writing within seconds of finding a seat in an airport, for example. I travel a lot.

But yes, it does feel weird to write outside of Scrivener.

The iPad is growing on me as a writing tool, though. It's surprisingly ok.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:12 pm Post

Hi all,

For those interested in using the iPad in conjunction with Scrivener, David has put together a couple of sneak-peek videos showing different ways you can sync Scrivener 2.0 with various iPad writing apps.

Syncing with Simplenote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&v=oRlhoJr02aE

And syncing with PlainText and Notebooks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVzmMFRGjnQ

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Typo

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:20 pm Post

xiamenese

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:43 am Post

Typo wrote:Ron Gilbert being gruff and quirky. He's got a point.

Hmm ... it reminds me of the Panasonic forum on DPReview, which I've given up. Why? 'Cos it was full of people who took the line, "Panasonic doesn't know what they're doing and are going to fail because they haven't included the gizmo I need in the latest version of camera X." To begin with I loved the ones who screamed, "A camera without a viewfinder? How can they? Disaster! etc." till I got sick of the whole thing.
So this is presumably a bunch of the usual suspects and geeks who read the column to reinforce their "Let's hit Apple" or "I'm only criticising Apple 'cos I want it to be better (i.e. do things the way I want them to!)"-ism. And of course there's the one who says, "Apple has shot itself in the foot ..." What planet do people like that live on?
It's a long, long time since I gave up presuming that I, or any of us, as individuals, as nations or as cultures, know what's best for everyone, know the only path to life, success ... whatever.
If you buy an iPhone/iPad, you know what you're getting, quirks and all; if you buy Android, one hopes you know what you're getting ... but recent reports say that a pretty large percentage of Android apps are sending back personal information without warning the user that that's what they're going to do. That's Google's business model; garner as much information as you can as people use your products, so you can target the advertisements which bring you your revenue so much better.
As the saying goes, "You pays your money and takes your pick!"
By the way, this is not a criticism of Keith ... he is upfront ... "Scrivener is my program, written for what I want it to do, you buy it for what it is and not what you hope it will be. And I'll listen to your suggestions and if they fit into my philosophy for Scrivener and are do-able, I'll take them up." That's more than fine by me; I wouldn't want anything else.
Oh lord ... am I becoming "gruff and quirky" too? Is it catching?
:)
Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:18 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:What planet do people like that live on?

This one.

But then you have folks like me that will say "I hate product X, and I don't much like product Y, but I really don't care because there are more important things in this world to leave sleep over." We are probably worse.

And when you run into Madame Snort's philosophy of "what is wrong with pen, paper, and a stamp?" you realize that the only thing that matter's and is worth fighting for has more to do with genetics than UI design.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:46 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:And when you run into Madame Snort's philosophy of "what is wrong with pen, paper, and a stamp?" you realize that the only thing that matter's and is worth fighting for has more to do with genetics than UI design.

Love it! :wink: :D
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

xiamenese

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:26 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
xiamenese wrote:What planet do people like that live on?

This one.

But then you have folks like me that will say "I hate product X, and I don't much like product Y, but I really don't care because there are more important things in this world to leave sleep over." We are probably worse.

Heck no ... I do exactly the same ... or else I must accept that I am worse. But I don't see how anyone who says "Apple has shot itself in the foot ..." by the way it has set up and runs the app store, iTunes etc. can look at the number of iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads Apple has sold and is selling, together with the number of apps sold to run on them, and then say that and be considered to be living in the same world as we are.
You have every right not to like it, but no one can seriously deny that it is all a success for Apple, and to claim you have a better understanding of what the consumer wants than Apple ...
Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:52 am Post

Santa brought me an alternative to the MacBook Air: an iPad Bluetooth Keyboard case. The case integrates the iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard and prop-up easel. When charged, its onboard lithium battery extends iPad life to 50 hours, 60 days standby.

The result (don't tell Keith) looks much like an alternative to a laptop. You have a great screen angle, it won't fall over when multi-touching, and the roomy keyboard has a wrist rest. It all folds into a soft padded folder, smaller than the 13" MacBook Air. The cost was $60 US, plus $13 for taxes & shipping.

Pictures and info are at this URL. http://tinyurl.com/33vzrgb