MacHeist NaNo Bundle

Ca
Carradee
Platform: Mac

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:13 pm Post

MacHiest is offering $20 for several pieces of software, this week, and I've been trying out the site editor. It actually makes sense and produces decent code from a basic template! :shock:

And there are several other programs with it. Two of them, the game and the web editor, will only be unlocked if they sell 50k bundles. It looks like they're 2/5 the way there and it's been about 26 hrs since release.

I wasn't seeing any post about this anywhere, so I thought I'd give y'all a heads-up in case you're interested.

-'Dee
Wanna hydroplane?
--My brother (while driving)

In
InklingBooks

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:03 pm Post

If you're into journaling, MacJournal is one of the best apps on the market for that. It also does an adequate job managing blog postings, which is why I'm thinking of joining this heist. Since it sells for $40 and this heist is $20, you're getting it for half-price with all the other apps coming for free.

Even if you're not into "a day in my life" sort of journaling, you might find MacJournal as a useful grab-bag for assorted ideas, links and information you might want to use later. Dump everything you might forget there.

If you'd like a relatively easy way to manage a website that looks like you want it to look, RapidWeaver is an even better deal, since it retails for $79. I use it to manage my InklingBooks.com. If that's your reason, you might want to wait until near the end to make sure there are enough sales to unlock it.

Just keep in mind that this heist is a short one. Their counter says only four days are left, so it'll be gone by the middle of next week. Also one-quarter your payment goes to some good charities.

Ci
Cinder6

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:24 am Post

MacJournal and Flow look cool, but I'm still not sold on buying them together even for $20. If they reach 50k, though, then I'll definitely buy.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:41 am Post

I tried the flow demo, and unless your FTP needs are extremely basic, it would be a waste of money to get it for that. My red flag thing goes off whenever I see marketing that revolves around trashing the competition for not having popped up yesterday. They seem incredulous that software can be well evolved and that there is actually a virtue in having something that has been developed for a decade or even longer. By their logic, a pixel pushing program with a slick "Mac interface" must surely be better than that creaky old Photoshop which has been around since the '80s.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ci
Cinder6

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:17 pm Post

I, too, noticed Flow bashing Transmit for being around since System 8. It seemed pretty silly to me; "They've been around long enough to build up a great featureset and iron out almost all bugs! They suck!" How does it compare to something free, such as Cyber Duck?

AmberV

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:33 pm Post

CyberDuck is not bad at all. I haven't used it for years, and the only thing I remember griping about it was instability. It would crash every once in a while, but that isn't really a big deal for an FTP application. It will certainly match Flow and exceed it in features and is really more comparable to Transmit or YummyFTP, except in stability.
Ioa Petra'ka

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:53 pm Post

I just bundle-upped. I want to try the Journal thing - it looks like fun.

Not interested in the FTP program though. I use Filezilla. I've tried Transmit (slow, times out, non-intuitive defaults), CyberDuck and Yummy but none did much for me. Filezilla is my weapon of choice nowadays.
J

KB
Site Admin

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:13 am Post

How do these other FTP apps compare to Fetch?

AmberV

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:43 am Post

I haven't used Fetch since System 8! It must be awful. ;) I think most of the "main" FTP applications for the Mac are pretty much at a state of feature parity these days. They all support droplets (which I find very useful for co-workers), integrated file editing, pseudo-QuickLook, the major secure protocols, automation, mirroring, and a bunch of other stuff I'm probably not thinking of. It seems to come down more to interface familiarity or preference. If you already have a favourite, there's probably no good reason to switch.
Ioa Petra'ka

Ci
Cinder6

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:38 am Post

They unlocked Tales of Monkey Island early, so I went ahead and bought it. Here's to hoping that RapidWeaver also gets unlocked.

xiamenese

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:05 am Post

I've used Transmit for years without problems and still have it, but these days mostly use ForkLift. It's now very stable for me, is very full featured, including what seems like proper Quicklook. It also has the advantage over Transmit in that you can use it to move files around on your system. And as a bonus, perhaps, it has app deletion which looks for associated files like Preference files, so you don't get so loaded down with orphans. I like the interface too.

On the other hand, my wife needed ftp software, so I put her on to CyberDuck and she was perfectly happy with that, though now her limited needs for moving files to where a colleague can get them is satisfied by a shared folder on DropBox.

I'm not interested in this bundle; I already have Rapid Weaver and have tried MacJournal, and given what has been posted here in terms of comments on Flow, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, on principle … even if I needed an ftp app.
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:24 am Post

On someone's advice here (let's blame Amber), I bought and still use Yummy FTP. It's fast, dependable, and versatile. I like the two-pane interface, which mirrors the remote server and my own Finder. Does both FTP and SFTP. Mostly I copy files to a nearby campus server, but once I copied a multi-gig web site to Oregon, in just a few minutes. Yes, it has a goofy name, but Yummy is a great bargain at $28. http://www.yummysoftware.com/ (PS: CyberDuck is donation ware, not free.)

AmberV

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:38 am Post

Yes, I am probably to blame for that, and in fact I think I remember recommending it. At the time, it was the most advanced of the lot, but the rest have caught up. I still think it has the easiest interface for multi-level bookmarking. By that I mean not only bookmarking the server, login credentials and such, but also places within the server as well. I have to keep track of about a dozen servers, and probably two dozen places within those servers. Two pane is also very keyboard friendly. Tab and Cmd-T can go a long way in both directions. Also folder shepherds are nice. I can save one of those onto the local file server for a project, then co-workers can drop files into that location and everything automatically ends up where it should; gets updated when they edit them. It's almost like DropBox for FTP.
Ioa Petra'ka

KB
Site Admin

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:23 pm Post

Fetch doesn't do Amazon S3 uploads (unless I'm missing it), so I could do with a new FTP app. I ought to separate this into a separate thread, but given that I mainly just need to upload files to the site and to Amazon S3 (for the main install file), what's a good choice?

AmberV

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:55 pm Post

I think Transmit and ForkLift are the two which currently support Amazon S3. Transmit is probably the better choice out of those two. Yummy has S3 support on the table, but he hasn't been able to get to coding it yet, and is working on the WebDAV implementation first.
Ioa Petra'ka