Mozy or iDisk or DropBox .... ?

da
davidblistein

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:57 pm Post

Timotheus wrote:I have been using Mozy now for almost two years, and I am very satisfied.

But I only use Mozy for my really important documents (about 8,6 GB), not for all my photographs, because uploading all my photographs would cost too much time.

I also have a complete backup of everything on an external disk (hourly updated with Time Machine), and another complete backup on my laptop.

I just started a backup to Mozy, selecting just my Scrivener files (new user...just a few files) and it appears to be going on and on backing up everything on the thing...I unselected all the sets. What's the deal?

Ga
Gaijin de Moscu

Tue May 04, 2010 8:46 pm Post

davidblistein wrote:
I just started a backup to Mozy, selecting just my Scrivener files (new user...just a few files) and it appears to be going on and on backing up everything on the thing...I unselected all the sets. What's the deal?

Did you also unselect all the "files" and "folders" you don't need? It's bizarre in a way that it simultaneously looks at your backup sets in two ways.

I'm on month 6 of my first Mozy backup routine, only another half a year to go. Yes!

re
rebecca

Wed May 05, 2010 8:50 pm Post

I can't resist stepping into this discussion.

I use my computers for a lot more than my writing. Their primary use is in my real job, which entails all sorts of different things, including photography, database, bulk mailing, research and heavy document and email use. I work from home a lot, which means I have to communicate quickly and efficiently with staff, even when I'm on the road.

So ... I use Mozy, Dropbox, and MobileMe, all three. Mobile Me keeps my two computers and my iPhone in synch so far as email, calendar and address book go. I can also use it for syncing documents and photos, but very seldom do. I have a couple of large databases archived on idisk "just in case" but not much else.

I use Dropbox to keep my iMac and Macbook in sync. This is important because I take the Macbook out and about almost every day. I carry it around like a purse. When I get odd moments, including when I'm tied down listening to endless debates and discussions, I pop it open and work on various things. Then, when I get home, I switch to the desktop. Dropbox makes this an easy process.

I use Mozy to backup my photos, music and audio files, and movies and visual presentations. Much -- but not all -- of this is work-related. It comes to around 180 gigs, which took a while to upload the first time, but is now not so bad. Needless to say, I don't put all these files, or the software to deal with them, on my Macbook. It's hard drive is nowhere near big enough for everything I have on the iMac.

I have the iMac set up with Time Machine and a desktop drive. Once in a while, I use Time Machine to back up the Macbook to a portable hard drive, but only every day or two; sometimes not even that often. Dropbox actually does a good job of backing up the things that matter on the Macbook, and once they're on the iMac, they also get backed up with Time Machine.

I know all this sounds like a lot, but I nearly lost my job once over a crashed hard drive with no backups. I also have a high-stress job and I don't need extra work, carting around drives between the MB and the iMac. This way, whichever one I have, the files I need are there.

It may sound expensive, but considering that my livelihood is riding on these machines, it's a bargain.

re
rebecca

Wed May 05, 2010 8:55 pm Post

Forgot to say: I have the 50g version of Mozy, and use most of it.

Cadence
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun May 09, 2010 8:28 pm Post

I use Dropbox for online backup + syncing my Mac Mini and my HP netbook.
I tried SugarSync for a while, but switched to Dropbox, having been mightily impressed with the ease of use and the great sync speed of Dropbox. I now pay for Dropbox Pro 50, plus their extra "Pack-rat" unlimited undo history.

Of course I also back up to an external HDD with Time Machine and SuperDuper (each on his own partition).
Cady.
Procrastination Dominatrix, Duchess of Delayshire, & Lady Protector of the Brown-throated Three-toed Sloth.