WhatsApp Replacement

Orpheus
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:02 am Post

Mass exodus from Whatsapp

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/tech ... layed.html

Has people looking for a replacement.

Here is a comparison of various contenders.

https://threema.ch/en/messenger-comparison

It is a paid for app but <$5.

I have not tried it yet.
"Never was there a time when I [Krsna] did not exist, nor you, nor all these
kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.” Bhagavad-gita

Lo
Login

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:56 am Post

xiamenese

Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:50 am Post

If you live in the EU. or UK (still) Facebook/WhatsApp cannot apply this as it infringes GDPR. You still have to accept it to continue using WhatsApp, but they cannot share the data between the two.

I do use WhatsApp, entirely to private individuals; I also use Facebook but have only a small number of "friends", ignore all advertisements etc. And I use DuckDuck Go as my search engine and their browser on my mobile devices … Opera on my Macs with ad- and tracker-blocking (and built in VPN if necessary). If a website doesn’t like that, I don’t white list it and just forget that site.

Mark
Edited once.
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Lo
Login

Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:33 pm Post

Central issue is access to the address book, because in most cases that mainly contains other people’s personal data (name, address, phone number, email, birthday, etc) rather than just the user’s own data. If you’re in the EU but have friends outside the EU, your data is still getting harvested by Facebook and WhatsApp (or any app that has access to the address book). That really shouldn’t be allowed.

xiamenese

Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:43 pm Post

Login wrote:Central issue is access to the address book, because in most cases that mainly contains other people’s personal data (name, address, phone number, email, birthday, etc) rather than just the user’s own data. If you’re in the EU but have friends outside the EU, your data is still getting harvested by Facebook and WhatsApp (or any app that has access to the address book). That really shouldn’t be allowed.

It will be interesting to see if that is taken up in legal action. As someone in the UK, or in the EU, sharing my address book data because I contact someone outside the GDPR area, must be a breach of the GDPR. I'm not a lawyer, so …

:)

Mark

xiamenese

Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:59 pm Post

I also like this spoof, posted, as it happens, on Facebook …

*Ordering a Pizza in 2022*

CALLER: Is this Pizza Hut?
GOOGLE: No sir, it's Google Pizza.

CALLER: I must have dialled a wrong number, sorry.
GOOGLE: No sir, Google bought Pizza Hut last month.
CALLER: OK. I would like to order a pizza.
GOOGLE: Do you want your usual, sir?
CALLER: My usual? You know me?
GOOGLE: According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.
CALLER: Super! That’s what I’ll have.
GOOGLE: May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?
CALLER: What? I don’t want a vegetarian pizza!
GOOGLE:
 Your cholesterol is not good, sir.
CALLER: How the hell do you know that?
GOOGLE: Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.
CALLER: Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetarian pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.
GOOGLE: Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you purchased only a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once at Lloyds Pharmacy, 4 months ago.
CALLER: I bought more from another Pharmacy.
GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.
CALLER: I paid in cash.
GOOGLE: But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.
CALLER: I have other sources of cash.
GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your latest tax returns, unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law!
CALLER: WHAT THE HELL!

GOOGLE: I'm sorry sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.
CALLER: Enough already! I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without the internet, TV, where there is no phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.
GOOGLE:
I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago...

Welcome to the future!

:D

Mark

Orpheus

Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:16 pm Post

Threema reviews. It is very popular in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffnt&q=threem ... 4-1&ia=web

Orpheus

Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:35 pm Post

I installed Signal last week but later heard about Threema from the same person who had recommended Signal.

As one of my friends who owns an internet security company said of Signal "It is a big target."

For messaging we both use Keybase

https://keybase.io

Why? Because "Nobody cares about keybase" :)

Security through obscurity. 8)

kewms

Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:56 pm Post

Orpheus wrote:I installed Signal last week but later heard about Threema from the same person who had recommended Signal.

As one of my friends who owns an internet security company said of Signal "It is a big target."

It's a big target, but a pretty secure one. They can't lose (have stolen/give to law enforcement) data that they don't have, and Signal just doesn't collect much data.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:10 pm Post

kewms wrote:
Orpheus wrote:I installed Signal last week but later heard about Threema from the same person who had recommended Signal.

It's a big target, but a pretty secure one. They can't lose (have stolen/give to law enforcement) data that they don't have, and Signal just doesn't collect much data.

Katherine

Signal is used by folks in govt and LEO for “official” real-time communications. They are starting to collect significant data for tracking some information but at this point it is not info that most would consider compromising to individuals or content.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Orpheus

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:33 pm Post

In the end you will use an app that others are using otherwise who will you communicate with?

kewms

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:43 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Signal is used by folks in govt and LEO for “official” real-time communications. They are starting to collect significant data for tracking some information but at this point it is not info that most would consider compromising to individuals or content.

Well, they're end-to-end encrypted and don't hold the keys, so all they *can* collect is metadata. There was a case where they responded to a subpoena with "this phone number sent a message at this time," but that's all they had.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:02 pm Post

kewms wrote:
Jaysen wrote:Signal is used by folks in govt and LEO for “official” real-time communications. They are starting to collect significant data for tracking some information but at this point it is not info that most would consider compromising to individuals or content.

Well, they're end-to-end encrypted and don't hold the keys, so all they *can* collect is metadata. There was a case where they responded to a subpoena with "this phone number sent a message at this time," but that's all they had.

Katherine

Yes. They have been asked to "step it up" but have pretty much stared blankly at the requestor and moved on.

My biggest concern with Sig is how long can they resist before someone imposes "regulation" on them via acquisition. It's happened more than once. They are a big target and only getting bigger as people move to them.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Lo
Login

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:31 pm Post

As a nonprofit, can it be bought?

https://signal.org/#signal

nonprofit.png

Orpheus

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:04 pm Post

Login wrote:As a nonprofit, can it be bought?

https://signal.org/#signal

nonprofit.png

"Don't be evil."