Evernote replacements

Orpheus
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:35 pm Post

Silverdragon wrote:
Orpheus wrote:Why did you use your old version as opposed to the updated version for exporting your notes?
Because in the updated version I could only export 50 notes at a time. I have over 2000 notes for 5+ Gb. Nope, I'd rather reinstall the old version.

Can you import all your web clippings from EverNote? Most of my 3200+ "notes" are web clippings.
"Never was there a time when I [Krsna] did not exist, nor you, nor all these
kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.” Bhagavad-gita

Silverdragon

Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:37 pm Post

Orpheus wrote:Can you import all your web clippings from EverNote? Most of my 3200+ "notes" are web clippings.
Most of mine are clippings, too. Bear does an acceptable job with most of them—much better than NimbusNotes does. Tables get mangled, but if I refer to them a lot, I copy them to LibreOffice and fix them up. Alternatively I go back to the original web page and copy from there. I then use https://www.tablesgenerator.com to produce a Markdown version. Copy that, and paste it into a code block in Bear. The Next Big Bear Update (sorry about the pun, fellow Californians) will include Markdown table support so this is but a temporary problem.

I'd suggest you try out alternatives that will import your Evernote DB before committing to one. I tried Ulysses, NimbusNote, and *shudders* OneNote. My exported notes stayed snugly on my hard drive in their .enex file until I decided that Bear would work for me. I waited about four weeks after that to close my Evernote account and delete both the main database on my Mac drive as well as the .enex export. If I need the .enex, I'm sure it's in my Time Machine somewhere… :D
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her silicon hoard
  • Mac Scrivener 3.2.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
  • iOS Scrivener 1.2.1, iPad 6, iPhone 12 pro, i(Pad)OS 14.5

Orpheus

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:00 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:
Orpheus wrote:Can you import all your web clippings from EverNote? Most of my 3200+ "notes" are web clippings.
Most of mine are clippings, too. Bear does an acceptable job with most of them—much better than NimbusNotes does. Tables get mangled, but if I refer to them a lot, I copy them to LibreOffice and fix them up. Alternatively I go back to the original web page and copy from there. I then use https://www.tablesgenerator.com to produce a Markdown version. Copy that, and paste it into a code block in Bear. The Next Big Bear Update (sorry about the pun, fellow Californians) will include Markdown table support so this is but a temporary problem.

I'd suggest you try out alternatives that will import your Evernote DB before committing to one. I tried Ulysses, NimbusNote, and *shudders* OneNote. My exported notes stayed snugly on my hard drive in their .enex file until I decided that Bear would work for me. I waited about four weeks after that to close my Evernote account and delete both the main database on my Mac drive as well as the .enex export. If I need the .enex, I'm sure it's in my Time Machine somewhere… :D

I TimeMachined back to an earlier version of EverNote.

I'm trying DevonThink now. I was always looking for an excuse to try it, now I have one. Read several reviews and it looks favorable as it may be useful for my workflow in several ways and do a lot more than EverNote did. I have many thousands of PDF articles, books, journals etc that I could feed into DevonThink if it is useful. Who knows I might even take notes in it. 8)

DT has a EverNote import function and is doing that now as I type. Had to turn off Little Snitch as it was constantly asking for permission to do the import.

As you suggest I will try a few others to see what fulfills my needs. I ended up reinstalling Zotero today as I found it could be useful in quickly importing citations (especially from Amazon) that I could then send to Bookends.

But all in all my day has been totally distracted as a result of asking you why you ditched EverNote. :roll: Not your fault of course.

Silverdragon

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:30 am Post

Orpheus wrote: :?:
I'm trying DevonThink now. I was always looking for an excuse to try it, now I have one. Read several reviews and it looks favorable as it may be useful for my workflow in several ways and do a lot more than EverNote did. I have many thousands of PDF articles, books, journals etc that I could feed into DevonThink if it is useful. Who knows I might even take notes in it. 8)

DT has a EverNote import function and is doing that now as I type. Had to turn off Little Snitch as it was constantly asking for permission to do the import.

As you suggest I will try a few others to see what fulfills my needs. I ended up reinstalling Zotero today as I found it could be useful in quickly importing citations (especially from Amazon) that I could then send to Bookends.

But all in all my day has been totally distracted as a result of asking you why you ditched EverNote. :roll: Not your fault of course.

Yeah, it was a lost day or six when I decided to take the plunge. I considered DevonThink, but no matter how many times I go to their website or read reviews, I just can't understand how I'd use it in place of Evernote or Bear... mostly because I used Evernote and now use Bear as an adaptive device for ADHD. No matter what it is, if I need to remember it (or I search for it more than once) I put it into Ev... I mean, Bear. And I do mean everything. Scan it, clip it, scrawl it on a piece of paper---it all goes into... Bear. There's not much organisation in my database, I free-search what I need. I don't get through a day without referring to it at least two or three times, often more.

Good luck with your replacement hunt!

Orpheus

Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:25 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:Yeah, it was a lost day or six when I decided to take the plunge. I considered DevonThink, but no matter how many times I go to their website or read reviews, I just can't understand how I'd use it in place of Evernote or Bear... mostly because I used Evernote and now use Bear as an adaptive device for ADHD. No matter what it is, if I need to remember it (or I search for it more than once) I put it into Ev... I mean, Bear. And I do mean everything. Scan it, clip it, scrawl it on a piece of paper---it all goes into... Bear. There's not much organisation in my database, I free-search what I need. I don't get through a day without referring to it at least two or three times, often more.

Good luck with your replacement hunt!

I felt the same way about DEVONThink so I always balked about installing it and never did. But now I have and it is not what I thought. So I am hopeful. My only concern is about how it handles PDFs. I have about 170GBs of PDFs in a DropBox folder and want them to stay put. So I wonder if DT will want to relocate them into its own folder. I will find out. BookEnds lets you leave the PDFs in situ or shift it to its own directory.

kewms

Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:45 am Post

Orpheus wrote:I felt the same way about DEVONThink so I always balked about installing it and never did. But now I have and it is not what I thought. So I am hopeful. My only concern is about how it handles PDFs. I have about 170GBs of PDFs in a DropBox folder and want them to stay put. So I wonder if DT will want to relocate them into its own folder. I will find out. BookEnds lets you leave the PDFs in situ or shift it to its own directory.

You should Index, rather than Import, those PDFs if you want them to stay put.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:59 am Post

Moderator Note: post moved to software discussion area, and title changed to reflect topic.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Orpheus

Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:13 pm Post

kewms wrote:
Orpheus wrote:I felt the same way about DEVONThink so I always balked about installing it and never did. But now I have and it is not what I thought. So I am hopeful. My only concern is about how it handles PDFs. I have about 170GBs of PDFs in a DropBox folder and want them to stay put. So I wonder if DT will want to relocate them into its own folder. I will find out. BookEnds lets you leave the PDFs in situ or shift it to its own directory.

You should Index, rather than Import, those PDFs if you want them to stay put.

Katherine

Yup, that is the path to go. I spent a lot of time digging into DT, even started to read the manual :)

Was up till very late :cry:

But satisfied myself that it is a very strong contender to replace EN (it does web clipping) plus do a lot more as it has tremendous capability and is feature rich and excellent for research. And, support was very quick to respond to my questions.

OwenKelly
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:50 pm Post

Arriving late to the discussion...

I had a paid account with Evernote for years and left about six months ago. I switched to Joplin which is free, open source, and developing at a lively rate. It has apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. It also has a web clipper that (for my needs at least) works better than Evernote used to.

It allows multilevel folders as opposed to EN’s stacks and notebooks. It uses markdown which makes it much less likely to mess up formatting.
Joplin imports the ENEX files that EN exports but to do it properly you need to makes a separate ENEX file for every EN notebook. This is a one time deal though.

I am not claiming it will work for everyone but for me it is even better than Evernote, rather than something I use because I have to.

https://joplinapp.org is where it is.

Silverdragon

Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:58 pm Post

OwenKelly wrote:Arriving late to the discussion...

I had a paid account with Evernote for years and left about six months ago. I switched to Joplin which is free, open source, and developing at a lively rate. It has apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. It also has a web clipper that (for my needs at least) works better than Evernote used to.

It allows multilevel folders as opposed to EN’s stacks and notebooks. It uses markdown which makes it much less likely to mess up formatting.
Joplin imports the ENEX files that EN exports but to do it properly you need to makes a separate ENEX file for every EN notebook. This is a one time deal though.

I am not claiming it will work for everyone but for me it is even better than Evernote, rather than something I use because I have to.

https://joplinapp.org is where it is.

I looked at Joplin but didn't download it. After having tried both Nimbus Note and OneNote, I already knew that something that imposed more order than Evernote was a non-starter for me.

Silverdragon

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:58 pm Post

... I don't think I explained exactly how I use a personal note database, or why it works for me as an adaptive device.

Like many ADHD adults, I have trouble categorising. I lost track of paper stuff all the time. Did I file the cable bill under Paid or under Entertainment? Where is the blender manual? Oh here it is in the folder with my screenplay research... I was afraid to throw anything away, but it took me hours to find anything. It took me hours to file anything. With every folder I used it became less likely that I'd be able to find a thing when I needed it. Just before Evernote I'd devolved to a "system" of clear plastic boxes labeled with the year. It was more likely that I'd find the documents I needed than if I set up a filing system and attempted to maintain it.

With Evernote, I used just 3 notebooks—Writing, Recipes, and Everything Else. I used a few obvious tags. I did a global search when I wanted to find something. But I mis-tag and misfile even with my simple system, so most documents ended up in Everything Else, untagged.

Bear frees me. There are no notebooks or folders. There are just tags, hierarchical tags if I get that ambitious (or crazy). I just scan or clip everything in and add tags if I want to. I search the whole DB and I don't have to worry about categorising ever. It's the best DB I've ever used.

No, I don't want an Evernote replacement that lets me do finer categories. Not happening.

EDIT: So many here like DevonThink that I downloaded it and tried it out.

Yeah, no. Separating the images and PDFs from the note text—no good. Learning my categorisation and following it—what categorisation? Nope, not for me.

kewms

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:17 am Post

Meanwhile, just reading the description of your system gives me the heebeejeebies ... I'm not as aggressive about categorizing as some people, but big piles of undifferentiated "stuff" make me twitchy. To each their own.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Silverdragon

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:05 am Post

kewms wrote:Meanwhile, just reading the description of your system gives me the heebeejeebies ... I'm not as aggressive about categorizing as some people, but big piles of undifferentiated "stuff" make me twitchy. To each their own.

Katherine

:D Yes, indeed!

OwenKelly
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:47 am Post

@silverdragon

I will just add that Joplin doesn’t impose order on you. You don’t need to make notebooks at all. You can keep all your stuff in the default Inbox if you want, and you don’t need any tags.

Two of the current complaints about Joplin are:
1. All search is global. They is no ”search by notebook” available yet
2. Tags are not hierarchical so you can’t build a complex order out of them

sy
synecdoche

Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:30 pm Post

I badly want to migrate away from Evernote. The new version is slow and buggy. Frequently, I have to restart because it simply will not load my (text) notes. It's become practically unusable for me. On top of that, they've made some other decisions that left a bad taste in my mouth—for instance, they've started counting the web version as one of the limited number of "devices" you can use the app on with your license. Many of the complaints about the new version have come from power users, but I'm not a power user; the only feature I used that I don't think is common usage is the creation of "table of contents of notes" (which lets me collect notes on a topic together regardless of where I move the other notes to). I had a good system with that, and now it's broken.

But, there is one "killer feature" that Evernote still supports that I haven't yet seen anyone else match. It's so well integrated with other apps and tools. I don't clip full versions of things from the web; I capture them to something like Instapaper and then highlight what's relevant to me. Those highlights go into Evernote, not the full doc. I can use this with Kindle books, as well, via Readwise.

I've been using Obsidian a lot lately: I like that it uses plain text (markdown) files, so I know that they'll be portable if I ever need them to be. And the developers are fast and extremely responsive. But, they don't yet offer this functionality in a way that doesn't require some manual effort.

You can still, I believe, download the Legacy version of Evernote from the company, but it's unclear how long it will be supported. I am hoping for the competitors to catch up with Evernote's ease of import before too long.