The Great Illusive v.3 for Windows

me
meltikeb9
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:17 pm Post

Is any other Scrivener user getting a little tired of waiting for v.3 for Windows? It's been like two years they've been promising this. Last 'drop-dead' date for release they gave us was I think the end of August 2019. They've since revised that to "we're not going to give you a target release date anymore", I guess because they couldn't meet their own ever-changing targets.

And I noticed the forums on Literature & Latte are basically just a shooting gallery for the fanboys to gang up on anyone even the least bit critical of Scrivener and/or the waiting game for the v.3, so it's basically useless to vent an opinion on their site. Even the developers and CS people for Scrivener can be downright rude and condescending to the customer base.

I'm beginning to wonder: is it even worth it any more? Is it time to kiss Scrivener goodbye and finally move on?

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:36 pm Post

Given there are multiple threads of this very nature in the forums that you already mentioned, I think it's safe to say that no, you are not the only one.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

ArgentArts
Platform: Windows

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:08 pm Post

The release date may be illusive, but there's a viable beta that can be installed and used right now. I'm with you, in that I am frustrated that the v3 release has taken this long, but it's not like there isn't both v1 and v3 beta that can't be used.

Sk
SkylerT
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:12 pm Post

V3 beta is really stable and even v1 for windows is so much better than anything else out there. I would say if you want to leave, good luck finding anything comparable - i'm sure you'll be back soon.

Sanguinius

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:14 pm Post

It's sad, but understandable that you feel this way. It's also understandable if you were to find another writing solution, one that better suits your needs. If you find it, please come back and let the rest of us know, so that we might be able to make informed decisions. Have a lovely day.

Fe
Felinfoel

Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:34 am Post

SkylerT wrote:V3 beta is really stable and even v1 for windows is so much better than anything else out there. I would say if you want to leave, good luck finding anything comparable - i'm sure you'll be back soon.

SmartEdit writer is quite comparable and it is free. It does not have the same toxic user-base. The OP made a point well, and you just proved his point with your snarky reply.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:00 pm Post

Felinfoel wrote:SmartEdit writer is quite comparable and it is free.

How long have you been using it?

(recommendations of other software should be posted in Reviews and Recommendations, not in Scrivener Technical Support)
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Tw
Twolane

Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:02 pm Post

Ah yes. SmartEdit. Used to be Atomic Scribbler.

But but but I already have all of those SmartEdit thingies in Scrivener for Windows. And V3 is free! too. Ho-hum.

je
jesuslpgc
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:51 pm Post

Well, you've waited this long. What does it matter to wait a little bit longer?

In the meanwhile you have a perfectly usable and FREE! v3 Beta with most of the bell and whistles... What are your complaining of?

I know, I know, I'm a Mac user, but just my 2 cents...

Sk
SkylerT

Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:06 pm Post

Felinfoel wrote:
SkylerT wrote:V3 beta is really stable and even v1 for windows is so much better than anything else out there. I would say if you want to leave, good luck finding anything comparable - i'm sure you'll be back soon.

SmartEdit writer is quite comparable and it is free. It does not have the same toxic user-base. The OP made a point well, and you just proved his point with your snarky reply.

Actually all I did was suggest that there isn't anything comparable out there (no SmartEdit is not like Scrivener) and that just because V3 isn't out yet doesn't mean the products currently there are not suitable for most people. Not sure how I offended you?

Teriodin

Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:46 am Post

SkylerT wrote:
Actually all I did was suggest that there isn't anything comparable out there

Papyrus Author, other than the lack of a corkboard view is comparable. The pro version includes a character database, thinkboard (like Scapple or Inspiration) grammar checker (like grammarly, Pro Writing Aid), Timelines (Like Aeon), Compiler with editable CSS files, and probably a couple more things I forgot.

It's probably not the only comparable program, though it's pricier since it does everything that I have about 5 different programs to cover. (Scrivener, Inspiration, Excel, Aeon, Notepad++, Pro Writing Aid)
-- Connor

Sk
SkylerT

Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:54 am Post

I've actually never seen Papyrus Author. Thanks for sharing :)

Pr
PrudentSoy

Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:10 am Post

For the time being, I'm using Word, Excel, and OneNote. I find them quite nice to use and cover what I'd use for Scrivener. There are other features that can be found in other tools, but haven't used them, yet.

On my PC laptop, I have Word running in half the screen on the left. OneNote (for notes and research) in the top right, and Excel in the bottom right corner. That's where I keep my running lists.

1. Word - you have the formatting right there. Also, it's one document. I use the navigate feature to drag and drop and move around sections. Scrap writing is a section as well. I can add comments. It's very powerful. It also works on my phone. And dictation works. It's incredible and I can dictate my writings and have quick notes that are transcribed by Word on the fly.
2. I like to have my functionality in different apps to leverage their power. And also don't need to jump all over in one program, but have all three programs open.
3. I love Excel for all of my lists and notes.
4. Versioning - Love being able to have option of getting old versions of writings in document.
5. Don't need to rely on synching issues with Word and OneDrive. Less fussy than Dropbox.

There's no reason everything has to be in one program. It's not necessarily more convenient.

Some people like yWriter. It's free (at least desktop version).

Teriodin

Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:22 am Post

PrudentSoy wrote:
There's no reason everything has to be in one program. It's not necessarily more convenient.

I find that my workflow gets interrupted when I have to switch programs to edit what I just wrote, but I obviously work differently to most authors.

I write a scene, edit and polish it, write the next scene, etc., so that my finished manuscript, barring proofreading, is actually finished. I also outline AFTER I write the scene. :mrgreen: Just notes of anything significant that happens in the scene, so that I can refer back and find it easily later if I need to check/modify it.

For a work mode like mine, having everything in one program would work best.
-- Connor

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:37 am Post

PrudentSoy wrote:Don't need to rely on synching issues with Word and OneDrive. Less fussy than Dropbox.

Oh, my sweet summer child...
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes