VMWare fusion vs Parallels vs Boot Camp.

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:39 pm Post

That's good news, Mark — glad you've got it sorted.

(I've sent you a PM, BTW.)

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:08 am Post

Just a note for consideration:

I’ve never used VMware; have used VBox with Mac and Windows as hosts, Linux guests.

VMware’s latest release, v12, has a “free” personal, non-commercial use version of VMware Fusion Player. As I understand it, you have to register at their site before downloading. It appears that macOS Catalina and newer is a requirement.

See subheading “What’s New” in v12 release notes:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusio ... Notes.html
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:35 am Post

scshrugged wrote:See subheading “What’s New” in v12 release notes:

Interesting! That would have been a viable alternative for $0. Fusion is a solid product. The only real downside could be less helpful to the non-technonerd. By that I mean that there are a lot more people learning on a budget with VBox so the community tends to provide very complete support at all levels (compared to VMWare that tends to provide a tech answer and you should already know how to implement).
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Sk
SkylerT
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:42 pm Post

I'm glad the OP got it worked out and was able to get VBox working. I myself prefer Parallels to any other virtual machine desktop software I've ever used and that is coming from a software developer :) I always used VBox in the past (and still do on non-mac hosts) but paralles seems much faster with a GUI because of the ability to dedicate more VRAM than 128 (or 256 in some vbox vms - must be set from command line). I haven't ever tried VMWare fusion for desktop but we use VMWare for our vms in our cloud infrastructure at work and it seems to work fantastic there.

That said, parallels is a paid product and for basic needs, VBox will suit someone just fine. Perhaps my needs justify the price premium...

xiamenese

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:16 am Post

Thanks all for the extra input.

scshrugged wrote:Just a note for consideration:

I’ve never used VMware; have used VBox with Mac and Windows as hosts, Linux guests.

VMware’s latest release, v12, has a “free” personal, non-commercial use version of VMware Fusion Player. As I understand it, you have to register at their site before downloading. It appears that macOS Catalina and newer is a requirement.

See subheading “What’s New” in v12 release notes:

That was the problem with the free version of VMware; I need to run it on this MBP which has plenty of SSID space, unlike the iMac—which is also unstable!—and the MBP can't upgrade beyond High Sierra!

Anyway, I'm up and running, and the upgrade to 2.9.9.10 went smoothly and quickly.

Mark/Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:03 am Post

Good news. Glad you’re up and running. Jaysen and brookter are gentlemen and scholars.

I can’t test Fusion, yet anyway. I haven’t upgraded to 10.15 so haven’t bothered to see if I meet the other requirements.
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:31 pm Post

scshrugged wrote:Jaysen and brookter are gentlemen and scholars.

I'm not sure bookter wants to be in any group that includes me. That has been known to lower ones credibility significantly. Also, most gentlemen and ALL scholars may be filing a libel suite until you retract that statement to exclude me. :P

So for anyone that reads this thread later and want to jump to the last page, here is the recommendation.
In order of wiz bang where $$ are to be spent
1. Pony up for Parallels if you just want it to work and don't care about ever needing to uninstall. Support will be amazing for all.
2. Fusion Player is free if you are on a current OS, but expect support to provide tech answers that require you do be comfortable with low level junk. Or buy the premium to get formal support.
3. Oracle Virtual Box is free, but has solid community support. You will need to get into the guts a couple time, but the commented will give you detailed handholding and likely even help you if you trust them (be careful).
23412698712. boot camp. Just don't. Unless you really want to run games native on your hardware.

In order of $$ can not be spent
1. Oracle Virtual Box is free, but has solid community support. You will need to get into the guts a couple time, but the commented will give you detailed handholding and likely even help you if you trust them (be careful).
2. Fusion Player is free if you are on a current OS, but expect support to provide tech answers that require you do be comfortable with low level junk.
23412698712. boot camp. Just don't. Unless you really want to run games native on your hardware.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

br
brookter

Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:04 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:I'm not sure bookter wants to be in any group that includes me.

Au contraire, it's a dream come true....

Togglename
Platform: Windows

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:12 pm Post

Don't over think VirtualBox.