What are the best tools for annotating and then extracting notes from PDFs for academic writing

Pa
PaulJ
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:56 pm Post

I've tried several of them, and have settled on Highlights for PDF annotations. The reason is because of the way it's able to actually read pdfs, and will include spaces between words when lines of PDF text look like a single runon sentence. This was a big problem with Liquid Text and PDF Expert--their annotations would often result in runon words. And Liquid Text absolutely mangles ligatures.

So I store hundreds of pdfs of journal studies in DevonThink 3 (because of its superior search ability) and I annotate them using Highlights. Then... I move the annotations into Scrivener, which is where I do my actual writing.

So it might sound kind of anal, but I'm working on the 10th edition of a book that's used in college courses, as well as having to create an online course that's based on the book (thank you, Covid), and I find the workflow of using Highlights/Devonthink 3/Scrivener to be the sweet spot. During the shakedown process, I also tried using Bear, Ulysses, PDF Expert, Liquid Text and Evernote.

As for annotating web pages, I'm leaning toward using Liquid Text, but I wish they'd get their ligature act together.

Pa
PaulJ
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:08 pm Post

I tried Liquid Text pro version on the Mac for annotating a web article and it crashed and lost the work I'd done. I then annotated the same article in Scrivener, and everything went well. So for now, I'll be using Highlights to annotate PDFs and Scrivener for web pages and web articles.

(In all these years, I've never asked for my money back on an App I've purchased until now--Liquid Text on the Mac was quite a letdown.)