Methods using Curio 5

Ta
Tacitus
Platform: Mac

Wed May 27, 2009 3:24 pm Post

It's also well worth using the academic discount if that is available to you. :D
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape

Pr
Prion

Thu May 28, 2009 8:00 am Post

Regarding the SmartPen:

Are the notes that you scribble on the dotted paper actually searchable after you have transferred them to your Mac, be it in Curio or any other aplication, or are they mere images? Not having the hardware I cannot test this and the videos are a bit vague about this.
If OCR is involved: does this work outside the application that comes with the SmartPen, i.e. can you export WITH the invisible text layer?

Thanks
Prion

Sean Coffee

Thu May 28, 2009 12:12 pm Post

The Pulse Pen software has no OCR for Mac as of yet, nor does Curio. So no, your handwritten notes will not be searchable.

fg
fgrieser
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu May 28, 2009 12:54 pm Post

Prion.

If you need handwriting recognition, the Paperium Digital Pen might be the right solution: Technically, it is comparable to the Pulse Pen but there is also a handwriting recognition software available.

However, Paperium is an Austrian company. I do not know whether the Paperium products are available outside of Austria, Switzerland and Germany. At least, their website is in German and in English.

More on Paperium: http://www.paperium.com/index.php?main_ ... anguage=en

Franz

kewms

Fri May 29, 2009 4:46 am Post

If you do any writing/composition that is inherently visual, Curio is invaluable. I've used it for sketching out presentations, and will probably use it for some graphic essay-like projects I have coming up. It's also useful for visual reference: I've used it to store all the images related to an article in one place, for example.

For more general use, some writers use collages of images relevant to their work -- settings, people, physical objects, etc. -- and Curio is an excellent tool for that.

I think it started out as a tool for graphic designers and has been gradually adding more general brainstorming tools. I use it enough to be glad I have Curio 4, but not enough to upgrade to Curio 5.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Hu
Hugh

Sat May 30, 2009 9:31 am Post

'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat May 30, 2009 10:42 am Post

This made me laugh. It all looks highly organised (possibly scarily so--look at the careful alignment), but imagine the chaos when the sticky loses its youthful efficiency, or when someone opens a window!
Literature & Latte support team

ex
exegete77

Sat May 30, 2009 2:09 pm Post

Or a good allergy sneeze!

If there were more piles of books and papers, then it might approach my office. :?
:mrgreen:

Ap
Apollo16

Sat May 30, 2009 3:17 pm Post

The photo entitled WS24 is my favorite.

Meta-stickies!!

This guy does not live in tornado alley.

This guy better never get a lover angry or hello Mr. Industrial Fan!!

Seriously, he should send in a picture to 3M and get paid to be their spokesperson.

Apollo16

Typo

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:09 pm Post

Alright, I've taken the plunge after a lengthy evaluation time. Still, I'm not really sure if I will really use Curio extensively, but there are many little things about the program that I really like. For my ongoing novel I've decided to set up idea spacees for certain locations and plaster them with fotos and corresponding notes. That's because I always disliked scrolling through the binder to my reference material and then using the alternate window for research text or fotos - I find it more useful to switch to another application, review the material and return to Scrivener, where my editor and binder focus is still intact.

Furthermore, I'll use Curio to brainstorm on my next novel by using all its features - mindmaps, lists, notes, fotos etc, all in one place. I guess I'll move to Scrivener's outliner sooner or later, but for now it looks like a really great tool to shuffle ideas and pics.