nvALT replacement?

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:08 pm Post

I tried nvUltra and I'm afraid I didn't like it. I'm sure other people will, but it was not for me.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

Le
Lewis-H
Platform: Windows

Thu May 21, 2020 3:24 pm Post

Curiota, I slowly learned, is the true replacement for nvALT; if you can live with RTF, rather than Markdown. It is a little sister of the well known Curio, mind-mapping and note taking application. I am not that much a fan of Curio. But, I find its little sister very useful. Curiota has all the things nvALT has and more. It also has a means of grouping files; unlike nvALT’s flat filing system. Like nvALT, it transparently puts the files in Dropbox folder, something I highly appreciate. It also has a global shortcut which is used for a snappy note taking. The “stay on top” feature is another little touch, still extremely useful for somebody like who takes notes all day.

su
suavito
Platform: Mac

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:26 pm Post

I had been using Curiota as a note taking app for a while and I quite liked it. Like many others here I wanted an instant-write app, and Curiota allows that. (Well, almost: For whatever reason after hitting the shortcut key the cursor is in the "optional (!) name" field instead of the note.) At some point later DEVONthink grabs the notes from Curiota's indexed folder(s) and handles them, depending on their group and their hashtags.

Then Markdown came into my focus once again. Firstly because for note taking on my iPad I use the fine Markdown editor 1Writer, the only instant-write with customizable extra keyboard row app for iOS I know besides Drafts which locks in its notes. Secondly because macOS does not support footnotes in RTF. And oh yes, thirdly it is easy to manipulate Markdown with Apple Script in DEVONthink. So I gave Markdown another try even though I am not fond of it.

I tried a number of Markdown notes apps for Mac, and the one I like most is The Archive, https://zettelkasten.de/the-archive/. A downside of it is that it is no menu bar app. So the app icon is always visible in the doc, but it can be set to autostart with a hidden (main) window in the OS settings.

I'd love to test nvUltra, though, but it is still not there.
Author’s Preface

I wrote this book in less than two hours. I think I’ve made as much of it as one could in such a short time.

Eugen Egner, Androids from Milk