New Macheist Bundle

Ve
Vermonter17032

Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:36 pm Post

Seems to me that it benefits the developers to be part of a Macheist bundle for the following two reasons:

• They get some money out of it. I don't know how much, probably a flat fee or perhaps a percent of sales. I bought this bundle, but never would have bought any of these applications otherwise, so they got something out of me, and -- who knows? -- I may decide one or two of these apps are indispensible, and therefore I may pay to upgrade in the future.
  • They get the name of their application before a huge audience. I had never heard of most of these apps... now I have.
As for over-hyping... what company isn't guilty of that to some extent (with the exception of Keith, of course)?

Ed
Eddie

Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:17 pm Post

Vermonter17032 wrote:As for over-hyping... what company isn't guilty of that to some extent (with the exception of Keith, of course)?

I think that a significant difference is that Scrivener's hype comes from knowledgeable users who keep on recommending the product. The product is great, the developer is responsive, the price is fair, etc.

With other applications such as the ones I mentioned, there's "more sizzle than steak." Often they're beta quality, mediocre, but with a lot of marketing-hype behind them.
Remember Disco? It was going to eat Toast for breakfast, but all it provided was smoke :) It has not been updated in over a year.
And iClip? The last update came in 2006.
Some applications do not need constant updates, but these 2 were unusable for my needs.
With Cha-Ching it's a similar story, although development has continued and version 2 "beta" is finally available.

I do like MacHeist since I get many freebies and a nice price if I decide to buy a bundle. I also like getting deals directly from developers, or through Macupdate, Maczot, GiveGoodFood2YourMac, etc.
GiveGoodFood2YourMac offered Merlin2, Freeway Pro, Contactizer Pro, Remote Buddy, Together, Pixelmator, Bee Docs Timeline, Aquafadas' titles, Houdah titles, etc. Less hype, less sales (unfortunately), but I so far I've preferred their approach. The quality of the software is impressive, plus the promo is done by active developers.

ma
matt

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:11 am Post

Does anybody have any experience with Espresso?

It seems to be very similar in idea to "Coda", which is a little pricey but something that has been recommended here on numerous occasions.

Does anyone know how these two compare?

Ve
Vermonter17032

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:35 pm Post

matt wrote:Does anybody have any experience with Espresso?

It seems to be very similar in idea to "Coda", which is a little pricey but something that has been recommended here on numerous occasions.

With just six days remaining, I would be surprised if sales reach the point where Espresso can be unlocked. They are still $100,000 short of the goal to unlock BoinxTV, let alone getting to whatever level they need to to unock The Hit List and Espresso. Is the Macheist bundle typically this slow, or is this a case of the economy showing?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:44 pm Post

There are usually a number of people waiting for the final days to get a better idea of what they'll get. The one that I did participate in had TextMate at the very top, and it didn't look like it would be unlocked by a long shot but in the last few days everyone that had been holding out for TextMate jumped in and it was unlocked and the goal exceeded by a wide margin once that happened. But yes this year is different. Everyone is watching their finances more closely. It will depend upon whether Espresso and Hit List have the same sort of appeal that TextMate did.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ve
Vermonter17032

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:13 pm Post

AmberV wrote:There are usually a number of people waiting for the final days to get a better idea of what they'll get. The one that I did participate in had TextMate at the very top, and it didn't look like it would be unlocked by a long shot but in the last few days everyone that had been holding out for TextMate jumped in and it was unlocked and the goal exceeded by a wide margin once that happened. But yes this year is different. Everyone is watching their finances more closely. It will depend upon whether Espresso and Hit List have the same sort of appeal that TextMate did.

Thanks for the perspective, Amber. This is the first Macheist I've participated in and I am hoping to get The Hit List... and I was getting nervous that it might not make it. It will be interesting to see what happens.

em
emoKid

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:18 pm Post

matt wrote:Does anybody have any experience with Espresso?

I prefer Espresso over Coda, but a lot of people seem to like Coda better.
I like Espresso because the jump from Smultron was easy. Plus, Espresso feels more at home and easier to understand and use for me. Coda does have a lot more features and support, but Coda is older (The first official release of Espresso was on the 23rd of March).

So it depends on your workflow and what you want for your work environment (and how much you want to pay).

re
refusion

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:54 am Post

I participated in MacHeist both last year and this year. I'm really pleased that this year they're offering more full-versions as opposed to all the 'special MacHeist' versions and 'just out of Beta' stuff from last year. Wallet by Acrylic Software was nice but too buggy and was a non-upgradeable special version. Acrylic's new offering this year was Times which is a newsreader and fantastic one at that! Now if only Acrylic accepted credit cards instead of using PayPunk. I won't be able to upgrade to version 2 since my bank doesn't allow payments through third-party services. :(

I don't care about the 'who's its' and 'what's its' behind MacHeist. I'm just happy to get so many free and discount apps from being a member. Sure, not everything is going turn out to be useful and some of the developers may go under, but even if you only use 2-3 apps out of each bundle, it's still a hell of a deal! Just my two bits...
Old Lady: 'The universe rests on the back of a turtle!'
Scientist: 'Ah, but what does the turtle rest on?'
Old Lady: 'Young man, you can't fool me! It's turtles, turtles, turtles all the way down!'