New Macheist Bundle

zikade
Platform: Mac

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:55 pm Post

There is some good stuff inside the latest Bundle at http://www.macheist.com

I just thought some might want to have a look....
There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't...

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:13 pm Post

I've become increasingly turned off by their horrific web page designs. This one takes rampant and useless AJAX usage to levels so extreme it almost feels like a parody. Really, I have to enable JavaScript, and then sit here and watch their page scroll around for eight seconds in order to read a one-paragraph summary on some application at the end of the list? What is the purpose in emulating film canister or a broken microfiche enlarger under these circumstances? The manner in which this page is coded is such that horizontal scrollbars do not even appear when necessary. There is simply no way to get at truncated right-hand content without expanding the browser to whatever width they felt was best.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

zikade

Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:16 pm Post

Oops. Did I stir up something I shouldn't have?

AmberV

Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:17 pm Post

No. :) I'm just feeling grumpy today. It is a nice bundle.
Ioa Petra'ka

KB
Site Admin

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:57 pm Post

You're feeling grumpy. At least you didn't watch the BSG finale yesterday. On your birthday. I'm grumpy. And feeling murderous. End of line (and all pretension to a plot etc etc).

And I'm allowed to go off-topic, by the way.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:52 pm Post

KB wrote:You're feeling grumpy. At least you didn't watch the BSG finale yesterday. On your birthday. I'm grumpy. And feeling murderous. End of line (and all pretension to a plot etc etc).

And I'm allowed to go off-topic, by the way.

It isn't called grumpiness it is called HANG OVER!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

KB
Site Admin

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:55 pm Post

Hmm. Partly. It's also called Ron-Moore-Couldn't-even-be-bothered-to-try-itis.

AmberV

Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:07 pm Post

KB wrote:And I'm allowed to go off-topic, by the way.

Which kind of brings us back on topic to being off topic, from that of being slightly hung over, while touching on the off-topic topic of horrible sci-fi endings---but sadly fails to address anything regarding Macintosh software bundles.

Rotated and glowing text. There's got to be a bundle application that does that. They always have one of those!
Ioa Petra'ka

ma
matt

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:41 am Post

AmberV wrote:Rotated and glowing text. There's got to be a bundle application that does that. They always have one of those!

And another one that can be set to wake up the cat at 3am so it can scratch on your door :evil:

I guess we are all having one of those days...

zikade

Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:04 am Post

Talking about BSG - Keith, do you know that this was probably the best finale ever? The entire episode's storyline looked like somebody was really desperate to tie up any loose endings - any little, probably irrelevant story which needed some background, and, in doing so, missed the big one. Well, since it is the final episode, no more of BSG, they decided to make the parting easier on everybody. I, for one thing, have already started to forget about BSG and I really think this is because of the finale.

Looking on the bright side and so on, you know...

Almost forgot the one sentence not off topic: I do wait for boinxtv in the bundle to become available.
Now, a second one: try kinemac for rotating text ;)

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:52 am Post

Well, the really good news is that their web page design is very minimalist now...all it says is:

Code: Select all

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to fetch user information.

Nice use of white space too.

Edited to add: Scratch that. It's back. Do I really need a program called "World of Goo"?

I haven't seen BSG. Should I?
J

zikade

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:04 am Post

Jot wrote:Do I really need a program called "World of Goo"?

I haven't seen BSG. Should I?

Yes, to both questions. Now if everything in life would be that easy ;)

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:10 am Post

I have to admit, I wouldn't mind Espresso - but the other programs don't "grab me", mainly cause I don't have the foggiest idea what they do.

I will take your advice on board though. Thanks!
J

Sean Coffee

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:28 pm Post

I keep hearing that Macheist is controversial, and -- despite quite a bit of reading and listening on the topic -- I still don't get why. Am I correct that all of the participants are consenting adults who were not mislead about their compensation? I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would complain about an optional marketing program. If a developer feels that Macheist is a rip off, she can choose not to participate, correct?

I've always seen Macheist as a particularly robust low-cost trial program. It allows me to pay a little bit of money for fully functioning versions of apps I had considered (and chosen not to purchase) at their full price -- and sets me up for the inevitable paid upgrade, should I find a given app useful.

I bought the Macheist bundle to get the Acorn and WireTap Studio licenses -- two well-regarded apps I've flirted with in the past. I am now fully in their fold, and -- based on just a few days of playing with each -- I imagine I'll pony up for paid upgrades when the time comes.

Can someone please explain to me why this is bad for anyone involved?

Ed
Eddie

Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:24 pm Post

Sean Coffee wrote:Can someone please explain to me why this is bad for anyone involved?

I don't know whether it is good or bad. I didn't like how they originally portrayed themselves as "helping Mac developers" or something to that effect. It seemed to be big business, although not always for the developers. There were many conversations about it back then.

Then there's the hype. There have been many over-hyped applications that were quite popular at MacHeist (e.g., Cha-Ching, Disco, even iClip). Now some of them seem to be abandonware.
There's also the use of inflated prices. For example, The Hit List is $50, not $70. It's also Beta.
There's the way they market and push sales using the "Charity" approach. For example, instead of saying that an application will be unlocked once sales $1,600,000 they say once we raise $400,000 for charity. Very smart, btw.
This brings us back to the focus on helping "Mac developers." How much money will they get? MacHeist is huge, and I doubt that they have many costs. A very intelligent business model.
I sometimes prefer to spend more directly with a developer than through MacHeist.

And then there's the bundle. This is to just a MacHeist issue, but many bundles include mediocre applications.
I preferred by far the original GiveGoodFood2YourMac. Their second promo was good too, but the discounts were smaller. Still, they gave customers the ability to customize their bundle.

Having said this, I did buy the recent MacHeist bundle. I may use WireTap Studio, and 25% went to charity. I did not buy their previous bundles.

As you said, consenting adults enter into an agreement, or decide not to enter. Perhaps there's just a different perception of fairness depending on how much MacHeist makes and how much the developers get. In just a couple of days sales are close to $1,000,000 USD...