Mac OED due out soon

to
tony

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:41 am Post

Just in case anyone else didn't know, a new 2nd edition full Oxford English Dictionary is to be released soon.

http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780199563838

I for one am saving pennies now.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:12 pm Post

I want, I want. Could you please be so kind as to post an update here when it is released? No doubt I'll forget all about it, but I would love to buy it when it's released. I've only ever browsed through the full OED in university libraries, and you can get lost in it for hours...
All the best,
Keith

Th
Thequietone

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:16 pm Post

Showing my ignorance does the OED have the etymology or source of the word ?

That for me is interesting and a great way to procrastinate. Even better than Wikipedia in a foreign language.

Paul

to
tony

Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:47 pm Post

Yes it has etymologies. It references words from their first recorded use and, supported by quotations, each shift in nuance thereafter. The current printed edition runs to 20 volumes. (I was lucky enough a few years ago to get the "Compact" version which is a huge single tome with 9 pages of the original photo-reduced onto each page. It comes with its own magnifying glass, but my eyes - not to mention my biceps - are not what they were which is why the above will be so welcome.) The Dictionary is, in my opinion, one of the wonders of the modern world. Simon Winchester's "The Meaning of Everything" tells its story.

P.S. Yes Keith, I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Hu
Hugh

Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:53 pm Post

Thanks for the heads-up, Tony.

I remember the man who read the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica and then wrote a book about it. Now the OED - that would actually be worth reading. All the meanings of "set"... :D

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:25 pm Post

I'm one of those crazy people that actually owns the paper bound volumes---they take up an entire bookshelf! And yes it has etymologies, and probably the most vast collection of usage quotations for a broad range of words that has yet to be collected by humans, in any language. They try to select a spine of evolution for each word, tracing it as far back as possible, so often the first few quotations are barely recognisable as English without a degree, then trace it all the way up to modern day publications. The definition for set is indeed amusing in that if you typeset it for ordinary paper and binding, it would probably be a definition running the size of a medium length novel. There is one drawback to the Second Edition, and that is its publication date. They have put out a few supplements since then, but if all you own is the base set, anything invented, or any words that have radically shifted, in the past thirty years is not going to be addressed. It's excellent as a literary dictionary, but I own another dictionary (Merriam-Webster 3rd Unabridged) for scientific words and so on.

If you can get access to the work-in-progress 3rd edition online, that is the ultimate dictionary.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ve
Vermonter17032

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:03 pm Post

AmberV wrote:There is one drawback to the Second Edition, and that is its publication date. They have put out a few supplements since then, but if all you own is the base set, anything invented, or any words that have radically shifted, in the past thirty years is not going to be addressed. It's excellent as a literary dictionary, but I own another dictionary (Merriam-Webster 3rd Unabridged) for scientific words and so on.

Amber,

I don't know if they've added all the new words you'd hope for, but it sounds like this addition is fairly up-to-date. Here is what they say at the web site:

The text on the CD-ROM comprises the full text of the OED 2nd Edition, plus the three Additions volumes, as well as 7,000 new entries from the OED 's continuing research.

It is scheduled for release in the U.S. in May. Amazon has it listed for $200.

Steve

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:18 pm Post

Happily, my institution ponies up to give me access to the OED on-line. It is a thing of wonder. The use of quotations is brilliant. It lends rare authority to the definitions and gives one a quick and keen sense of the history and meaning(s) of a word in an entirely natural way.

I have the unerring sense of really owning a word after examining it in the OED.

The only downside is that it frequently leaves me with a perverse desire to use words in obscure and obsolete ways. But I guess its better than talking like a pirate.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:44 pm Post

Aye.

Th
Thequietone

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:40 pm Post

The good thing about acting like a pirate is you can over act and gurn away (pull faces) in shops and pubs as you get served quickly.
The bad thing about acting like a pirate is you' don't get very far in job interviews.

Paul
Aye lad, thems a -gurning in the hills. Aaargghh.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:38 pm Post

And pirate actors may be mistaken for vic-k...
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

KB
Site Admin

Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:24 pm Post

Oh no, please don't let it be me who takes this thread off-topic and onto pirates... It would be hugely embarrassing if I had to split this thread starting with my post. I'll have to blame Greg, of course...

To go back on topic, I really am looking forward to this coming out. I've coveted my own copy of the OED for some time, but the idea of having a whole shelf dedicated to it as Amber does is a little much - we already need a delivery team just for books every time we move house as it is.

All the best,
Keith

Jaysen

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:11 pm Post

KB wrote:Oh no, please don't let it be me who takes this thread off-topic and onto pirates... It would be hugely embarrassing if I had to split this thread starting with my post. I'll have to blame Greg, of course...

But only you and Mr Shadow are authorized to use the yanginer (I offer this as a title for the icon). So you could blame Greg, but we will know.

On the other hand if you considered vic-k or an other member of the +3 you would have no difficulty overcoming the preponderance of evidence. In fact, you might just offer "it was the +3" as an explanation for all issues, even the random project disappearance, and few would question that answer.

Just a thought for you.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:57 pm Post

As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:27 pm Post

vic-k wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkNsEH1GD7Q :(

I highly doubt it.
Jaysen

ImageImage