Experiences: Is Leopard worth it?

What describes your MAC OS X situation best?

I am still on Tiger and have decided not to upgrade.
3%
I am still on Tiger, thinking about going on Leopard one day.
8%
I am new on Leopard, can't say much.
5%
I am on Leopard for a while and I am happy with it.
35%
I am on Leopard for a while and I am extremely happy with it.
46%
I am on Leopard for a while, but I regret the step.
3%
I was on Leopard, but now I am back on Tiger.
No votes
I use neither Tiger nor Leopard.
No votes

Total votes: 37
dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:15 pm Post

I've used Leopard since day one of its release and found it a big improvement over Tiger. I don't use Time Machine or Spaces, but Quick Look is outstanding and so are Airport, Mail, Safari, and Spotlight. In my view, Spotlight alone is worth the price of admission. To find an old file: Cmd-F, and up comes a window, Searching. Choose This Mac or your root folder for Contents or File Name. A file list appears, sortable by Name, Kind, or Last Opened. Refine the search by adding other parameters, or save the search. Select a file, press spacebar, and you see a Quick Look image. Make a copy or alias of the file, or drag it to the Desktop; you have as much control over it as in the Finder. This kind of search capability turns my file system into a cloud, where I find what I want quickly. (The menu bar version of Spotlight is also good, but I like the Cmd-F searching better.)

For a list of the new features, see http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html

Ed
Eddie

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:56 pm Post

If you use Spotlight regularly, check out Houdah Spot:
http://www.houdah.com/houdahSpot/

Other options:
I gave Foxtrot Search a try but support is awful and searches are not always accurate. Speed is impressive. For certain files I use Devon Think Pro Office with great results.

valente.mac
Platform: Mac

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:34 pm Post

A agree with Eddie: until 10.5.4 Leopard wasn't that great.Nowadays I'd say that if you have an Intel machine Leopard is worth it. If not, don't bother.

Things I like: :D
- QuickLook (the best)
- Finder window
- Speedier Spotlight (although for serious searches I use LaunchBar and HoudahSpot)
- Screensharing (when it works)

So-so things: :|
- Mail (overcrowded: to-dos? Rss?...)
- Time Machine (I suppose it's useful, but I don't use it)

Bads: :(
- Damn Help window always in front (no way to send it to back)
- iCal
- Still more bugs than the last releases of Tiger