Scribbler™ for iPhone -- Early Look

Wi
Wizlord

Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:58 pm Post

Ok, I've posted another set updates that show the export from the iPhone via email and import into Scrivener functionality. Additionally, I've settled on a final app icon, and a lot of the screens have been polished up and are looking more commercial/professional. I'm at the point now where I'm actually getting things to work, and tying thing together, rather than just creating new screens. I still need to add more screens, of course (mostly Chapter specific version), but the core of the first version is done.

The last major thing I need to work on right now is implementing the timeline. Then, I need it all to work without crashing ;)

http://www.visualnewt.com/Products/scribbler/

Wi
Wizlord

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:00 pm Post

Apart from:

Author Name
Title
Date
Copyright

What other sort of information (metadata) would you like to track for a given novel. This should be something generic, not specific (number of pages, word count, etc.--which is handled differently).

Let me know!
Thanks.

ma
machoflaco

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:50 pm Post

I can't think of anything else you would need.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:18 pm Post

Revision number (or general label) maybe.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

toralfsan
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:02 am Post

@Wizlord:

This looks really promising, I would definitely use it in my pocket when it's ready.

One comment, though:

One of the nice things with Scrivener, is that it's a general authoring tool, not only for fiction. I think many of us would prefer that Scribbler was "neutral" to fiction/non-fiction, so that i.e. the "Novel" designator could be named "Project" or similar instead?

Not that it would stop me from using it, but Scribbler might appeal even better to all users of Scrivener if we were not supposed to be fiction writers ;-)

Toralf (using Scrivener for my book on photography).

Wi
Wizlord

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:14 pm Post

Thanks for the feedback. I can certainly change "Novel" to project, but then I would have to change "Chapter". Which is OK, but then what do I change it to? I'm not trying to recreate Scrivener on the iPhone. That's something I'll leave to the Scrivener team to do if they want. There are also other more generic writing apps available for the iPhone. I want it to be more novel / short-story /creative writing focused. I don't want it to be so generic that I have to worry about script-writers and scripting structure, formatting, publishing, etc. One of the tenants from Apple for iPhone development is that an app should be focused on doing one thing, and doing it well.

Having said that, I guess I could allow you to set your own labels for "Novel", "Chapter", etc. I think that would be a good solution.

And before anyone asks, no I don't have any plans for a scene level below chapters. The chapter will be the finest level of granularity. Going any deeper would add too much complexity and increase the code size, without adding much to the usability.

toralfsan

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:24 pm Post

Wizlord wrote:Having said that, I guess I could allow you to set your own labels for "Novel", "Chapter", etc. I think that would be a good solution.

I think that would be a very good option. Anyone could suit his/hers own needs.

Wi
Wizlord

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:04 am Post

I've set up a page for comments, suggestions, and feature requests for Scribbler™ . You can get to it from the main Scribbler™ page, or just scroll to the bottom.

http://www.visualnewt.com/Products/scribbler/

ma
mary

Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:56 am Post

I just wanted to let you know this looks really neat. I especially liked the chapters and the timeline function, and, since you can email stuff back to yourself, I think I would buy it when you finish development.

Wi
Wizlord

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:41 pm Post

I've been busy with real work. However, there have been a bunch of changes if you haven't visited the site lately. Most significantly, the metadata view now pretty much works, and full-screen editing works. The metadata screen is integrated into the iPhone's address book so you can select your information, and your agent's information for example.

There are screen images under the "Chapter Screens" section of both normal, landscape and full-screen editing views. You switch between normal and full by shaking the iPhone. Landscape view is always in full-screen mode since landscape mode shows a lot fewer lines because of the orientation.

If you check the screen flow section, you'll see that I'm almost done coding the screens and main screen flow. Once that's done, it's on to debugging and making sure everything works.

Just an FYI, preferences/settings will allow you to relabel the Novel/Chapter words to something else (Act/Scene, or whatever you choose). You will also be able to specify the background and text colors for the text editing screen.

hamishmacdonald
Platform: Windows

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:17 am Post

I have an agent? Yay!

Oh. I see.

Well, I'm still anxiously looking forward to this being released in some usable form, and would happily pay for it.
- Hamish MacDonald
http://www.hamishmacdonald.com

Wi
Wizlord

Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:07 am Post

Ok lots done! Scribbler™ is pretty much done from a screen/flow/user-interface point of view. Now it's a matter of debugging everything and making sure things work the way they should.

Phase I complete.
Phase II starts.

Once everything is debugged and working to my satistfaction, I'll release it. I'm thinking probably April timeframe--again contingent on my real work and free time.

chefpogo

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:01 am Post

This is just REALLY cool - I can't wait to try it out!

Keep up the good work!

hamishmacdonald
Platform: Windows

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:43 pm Post

It's a silly, superficial thing, but I think the icon still looks a bit raw.

If you'd like something quill-like, might I suggest one of the 'Buuf' icons? The designer's work has a lovely pastel-ish appearance, and I believe he only charges $10 for the commercial use of an icon.

Here's a grid of some of his icons, including some pen, ink, and feather ones that might be appropriate:
http://www.iconarchive.com/category/application/buuf-icons-by-mattahan.html
Last edited by hamishmacdonald on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Hamish MacDonald
http://www.hamishmacdonald.com

Wi
Wizlord

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:56 pm Post

hm actually his look too cartoonish. Mac icons are supposed to be a bit more realistic. I agree mine is a bit "raw" but it feels a bit more realistic than his do on the iPhone. The Buuf ones look more like Windows / AIM icons to me. Sorry--jagged and rough. I'll try to do something more "real" but its low on the priority list right now. Mine actually looks decent when next to the Home page icons on the iPhone.