Scribbler™ for iPhone -- Early Look

hamishmacdonald
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:50 pm Post

Yeah, forget what I said. I mean, when it comes time to sell the program and have people regard it as a polished product the packaging will matter -- especially on an iPhone, where aesthetics are an important part of how and why people use the product.

But looking back over the screenshots you've posted, I can't wait for this app and don't want to take any wind out of your sails. I'm grateful that you're putting in the work to make this happen.
- Hamish MacDonald
http://www.hamishmacdonald.com

Wi
Wizlord

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:32 am Post

I'm making progress debugging the app and getting the functionality stable.

I've also added an RSS feed for Scribbler™ if you want to get informed about updates/changes/progress as it occurs.

You can subscribe to the RSS feed on the main Scribbler™ page: http://www.VisualNewt.com/Products/scribbler

or directly here:
http://www.visualnewt.com/Products/scribbler/index.xml

werebear

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:11 am Post

Just signed up for your RSS feed. I just got an iPod Touch Thursday.

And I've gotten less than my proper allotment of sleep, too.

This app sounds like a dream come true. I am sooo interested!
WereBear

A work in progress...

http://wayofcats.com/blog

Wi
Wizlord

Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:27 pm Post

Hi all,
Yes I've made progress in debugging as you can see from the flow diagram on my site. My real job is keeping me busy so progress is slow though consistent.

I guess everyone has heard that Apple announced iPhone OS 3.0 which will be released this summer. I've started going through the developer kit, and there is a lot of new stuff. The main thing that will be of interest to writers is the ability to cut/copy/paste and note synchronization. My current plan is to wait until the OS is officially released by Apple this summer before changing the app to handle new features. There are several reasons:
1 - It will allow me to release Scribbler™ earlier (still on target for probably late April--maybe May depending on work.) If I added 3.0 features I would have to wait for summer to release.
2 - I would have to get a 2nd iPhone to test the new operating system on (I don't want to destroy the only iPhone I have developing using beta tools).
3 - Even after 3.0 is released there will probably be a period of quick updates from Apple that may break things people build.

On the other hand, there are definitely features that I want to incorporate in the 2nd release that become a lot easier if I wait for 3.0. Namely map research notes, voice notes, etc.

That's the latest update on Scribbler™. As always there is more info on the website.

Wi
Wizlord

Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:20 pm Post

Work has been chewing up most of my free time. However, I've been able to move the debugging of the code forward. It's a somewhat slow process, but I'm seeing more stability and usability on my phone. That's the good news. The bad news is that I won't be releasing it in April. Given my schedule Scribbler™ will be out May or June timeframe. I'd rather take my time and release something that works and doesn't lose data and is useful than rush and put out something that is unstable and loses your writing.

As always the map of where I am in the process along with the latest status is on the website. One thing that keeps me going is that I actually see myself using this to actually write stuff on the iPhone. It's something I'd want to use, and hopefully others will share that opinion.

Ur
Ursula

Mon May 04, 2009 5:31 am Post

I got an iPod touch some weeks ago and try to wait patiently the release of Scribbler.
Any news, Wizlord? Maybe a public beta, if something like this is possible on the iPhone/iPod touch?

Yes, I had a look at your website, Scribbler looks very promising, I would love to spend some money for it. Keep up the good work!

na
nadinbrzezinski
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:26 pm Post

looks promising, indeed
The past if prologue...

Wi
Wizlord

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:44 pm Post

Ok.

I haven't been posting lately because I've been busy with my real job and vacation and summer and yardwork and lots of other stuff. So here is the latest. I'm nearing the end of debugging. Even though I haven't been posting here, I've been updating the early-look website. Nearly all the bugs I've caused and run across have been fixed. I still need to rework the full-screen switching logic since shaking is now used to Undo in the standard 3.0 software. Also, I've upgraded to a 3gs and am looking at all the cool features of the 3.0 software. Lots of goodies I can incorporate in future releases. So your big questions probably is: when?

My gut feel is probably late Aug/early Sept. It's actually usable now and very stable, but there are a few inconsistencies in my UI design I want to smooth out. I've frozen the feature set for this release and am now just making sure it's something people can use and not lose data using.

I also need to come up with a new name. Scribbler is already in the iPhone app store--but it's not my app.

Next post here should be a note informing you that I've submitted to Apple for approval. Stay tuned.

Wi
Wizlord

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:05 pm Post

Lots happening the last few days.

The good news:
1 - All major bugs have been squashed.
2 - I have come up with a new name for Scribbler! The reason for the change is that Scribbler was already being used by an iPhone app (not mine).
3 - I have registered a domain and website for the app. This will be used for support, documentation, forums, and the like. I'm still updating the "early look" site with status updates.

The bad news:
1 - I still have a bunch of minor bugs and a few tweaks to complete.
2 - I'll release the new app with the new name and website at the same time.
3 - I have to spend time building a website.
4 - Before release, the app has to be approved by Apple.

The bottom line: I'm planning to submit it to Apple "fairly soon". I'll be pricing it at $5.99. I've been using it to test it, and I think it's worth a bit more than that.

Stay tuned.

Ke
Kendric

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:23 am Post

Wizlord wrote:2 - I have come up with a new name for Scribbler! The reason for the change is that Scribbler was already being used by an iPhone app (not mine).

No good. No good at all. "The reason for the change is that Scribbler was already being used by an iPhone app (not mine)" is way too long for a program name. You've got to come up with something a lot shorter than that if you want it to roll off the tongue and become a household name.

;)

(That was my pain-in-the-butt way of asking what the new name is, BTW.)

Wi
Wizlord

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:28 am Post

Sorry, I know people are curious about the new name, but I want to make sure I protect it better than "Scribbler" posting.php?mode=reply&f=15&t=5091#

Needless to say, the new name is unique, indicative, and (I think) pretty cool.

And even though the new website is registered, there won't be anything there until the app is released. The "early look" site is the place to go for the latest news.

Wi
Wizlord

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:02 pm Post

Just a quick update. I'm squashing some minor bugs and tweaking the UI a bit. I uncovered a fairly major bug which I have to work through as well. I've started working on the new website and the new documentation. I'm getting close to submitting to Apple. It really depends to a certain extent on when Apple will release the next version of the iPhone OS and when I can get the new site up and running.

I think the wait will be worth it.

Wi
Wizlord

Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:24 pm Post

Hi all,
Just a quick update on where things stand.
-The new website is almost done.
-The documentation is almost done.
-I'm still debugging and tweaking. This will continue until release.
-I am waiting for Apple to release the iPhone 3.1 OS SDK as official. I can't debug on the actual iPhone until they do. This is currently the biggest bottleneck. There are things that can only be tested on the iPhone itself.
--What happens when you get a real phone call.
--What happens when it crashes on a real phone (hopefully it never will, but I still need to test it to make sure data isn't lost.)
-Still need to submit the app to Apple for approval. (This is dependent on the device testing to be completed.)

It seems like a lot (and it is) but I think people who have been interested in an iPhone writing app, will be pleased.

Wi
Wizlord

Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:51 am Post

Hi all,
Big news as you probably heard. Apple released iPhone OS 3.1 and the 3.1 development tools. "Scribbler" will require 3.1. I'm back to debugging and testing on my iPhone, and uncovering a few things which weren't obvious on the iPhone development simulator.

Once these bugs are cleaned up, I'll submit the app to the Apple app store for approval...

The website has undergone a cleanup/streamlining in preparation...

http://www.visualnewt.com/

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:18 am Post

I'm very much looking forward to Scribbler's debut. Thanks for the updates.
J