Taking stock

ma
matt

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:36 am Post

Scrivener
Microsoft Word (it came with the computer and I don't use it)
Mellel (but it came in a bundle and I have never used it)
Bean (it is free)

So Scrivener is the only one I have deliberately spent money on.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:22 pm Post

My Lord, there is some mistake, You are fatigued Sire. Take rest and refreshment, then repost.
You`ve mistakenly posted 1986 instead of 2006. A minor detail My Lord, but one that leads to misunderstandings and false impressions.
Your servant Sire.
Vic
Attachments
mitsubishi_pajero_2868770.jpg
mitsubishi_pajero_2868770.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 831 times
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Ve
Vermonter17032

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:40 pm Post

I have only been a Mac user for about seven months and already I've amassed a frightening number of writing applications:

Scrivener
Mellel
StoryMill
SuperNoteCard
Journler
MacJournal (which I picked up before I discovered Journler)
Pages 08
Bean (because it is free)

Then there are these "auxillary" applications:

OmniOutliner
Circus Ponies Notebook
Curio 5.0 (perhaps the single best application I've seen on any platform)
DevonThink (I got this early on, but I've been fairly disenchanted so far -- hoping 2.0 will win me over, and not be too expensive an upgrade)
VoodooPad (I love the idea of a desktop wiki, but I never actually seem to use it)
Yojimbo

I know that I'm a basket case when it comes to these applications. Someone help me!

If I had to reduce this list to three applications they would be Scrivener, Curio 5.0 and Journler.

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:40 pm Post

Vermonter17032 wrote:Curio 5.0 (perhaps the single best application I've seen on any platform)

I haven't got Curio. Last time I looked at it, it was basically a mind map app (as far as I can remember), and since I already own NovaMind and never make mind maps, Curio has never been on my wish list. But after reading Vermonter's eulogy, I had to have another look. Naughty, bad Vermonter, writing things like that in a thread like this. Shame on you. :)

And the latest version does indeed look very attractive, with lots of shiny new functionality unrelated to mind maps, and I can see all sorts of uses for it, and I want it, and my credit card is itching for an outing -- but the Curio web site says: "Mac OS X v10.4 (Tiger) is no longer supported!". Wah! Not fair!
Literature & Latte support team

Ve
Vermonter17032

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:26 pm Post

Siren wrote:
Vermonter17032 wrote:Curio 5.0 (perhaps the single best application I've seen on any platform)

I haven't got Curio. Last time I looked at it, it was basically a mind map app (as far as I can remember), and since I already own NovaMind and never make mind maps, Curio has never been on my wish list. But after reading Vermonter's eulogy, I had to have another look. Naughty, bad Vermonter, writing things like that in a thread like this. Shame on you. :)

And the latest version does indeed look very attractive, with lots of shiny new functionality unrelated to mind maps, and I can see all sorts of uses for it, and I want it, and my credit card is itching for an outing -- but the Curio web site says: "Mac OS X v10.4 (Tiger) is no longer supported!". Wah! Not fair!

I am sorry for bringing up Curio 5.0. I understand the affliction, but Curio 5.0 is, indeed, a remarkably flexible and deep application, so I HAD to mention it.

While Curio has significant mind-mapping capability, it isn't as powerful in that area as a dedicated mind mapper. But add in all the other functions and Curio really shines. I use it for sketching out a plan at the beginning of a project. I find it useful for capturing related information in various formats and keeping it all together in one page. I've also used Curio to build a photo album. And, of course, it is filled with project management features -- though I don't use these.

It isn't inexpensive, but since Curio can take the place of several other applications, it is probably worth it -- unless you've already paid for those other applications.

So
Sonny Bovril

Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:27 am Post

I bought a MacBook Pro just for Scrivener.
And that's all I use it for.
I have Airport disabled by default, and I treat the computer like my old Royal typewriter. One machine, one purpose.
(ok, I have installed a printer driver too)

On my everyday Windows box, I use a great app called The Journal for dumping and organizing all the bits. It exports entries as rtf files and I then transfer those to the Mac by flash drive.
Why a Pro model? For the beefier video card to drive a 20" monitor. I also use a cordless logitech mouse and one of those newish little cordless keyboards that Apple makes.

There now.