question about TotallyWrite

p a t r i c k

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:21 pm Post

druid wrote:My only question about your process is why you need OmniOutliner.
You can start a Scriv project and place all of your early notes in the Research folder.
They're in an outline form and you may copy a set for developing in the Draft folder.
I know, to each his own, but the use of OO strikes me as a little redundant.

Hi

I don't think the notes themselves are in the outline but rather the title and synopsis. I think that is absolutely fine but personally I like to sketch out the thing in Omni Outliner Pro first because any text that is there is more readily viewable.

I think the outlining function of Scrivener is great when you are re-organising later in the project, but for me not so good for skecthing the thing out initially.

p a t r i c k

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:36 pm Post

AndreasE wrote:Why "Pro"? I am still wondering what "Pro" adds useful to OmniOutliner.

Hi

Here's the feature comparison at Omni Group website:

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnioutliner/stdvspro/

Okay, I know you might say: well what is there of any use?

The only thing I haven't used yet is Export Plug-Ins and I'm going to investigate this one soon and cook something up :)

I use Folded Editing, Sections, Named Styles, Multiple Saved Templates all the time with OO.

I have found the Clipping Service to be of great use on occasion.

Omni Outliner Pro is probably my most used application.

Sean Coffee

Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:16 pm Post

druid wrote:My only question about your process is why you need OmniOutliner.
You can start a Scriv project and place all of your early notes in the Research folder.
They're in an outline form and you may copy a set for developing in the Draft folder.
I know, to each his own, but the use of OO strikes me as a little redundant.

Scriv's outlining is great if you have no need to share it with anyone else. That's not always the case with my work. So I outline in OO, which prints and saves as a PDF etc. in a much more presentable form.

There's also something to be said for the tedious process of re-copying an outline. I don't know about you, but nothing bogs my writing down more than not knowing the story cold. I'm all for happy accidents and letting my characters "find their own way", but I've found that rarely happens when I don't have a workable version of the story down pat first. As they say, the harder I work, the luckier I get. Re-copying the outline into scriv tends to root the thing in my brain.

AndreasE wrote:
Why "Pro"? I am still wondering what "Pro" adds useful to OmniOutliner. (What I miss in OO, BTW, and would pay for is a filtering function - "show only lines with XXX in column YYY")

If you ask my wife this question, she'll tell you it's because I spend money like a drunken sailor. She's wrong. I don't sail.