Poll: What is your favorite website creation tool?

What are your favorite web site creation tools?

DreamWeaver
12%
Freeway Express or Pro
5%
RapidWeaver
24%
Sandvox
12%
iWeb
12%
Goldfish
2%
ShutterBug
No votes
Flux
No votes
Coda
12%
Something else
21%

Total votes: 42
George the Flea
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:43 pm Post

Hi, Sascha!

nggalai wrote:How do you deal with it? Are you single-window people? Multi window people? With Scrivener and StoryMill, I don’t mind the (mostly) single-windowdness of the applications. I work in full screen mode 95% anyway. But with web development? Visuals and whatnot? Hmm.

I work with single windows per-program per-project. So in my standard setup, I'll have my root project folder open in Textmate, with a CSSEdit window that has all the stylesheets and a preview in tabs (and Photoshop in the background, if I'm in the early stages).

I never maximize windows (that little green button is anathema to me). Even my browser window has space above and below it. This allows me to stack any projects or reference materials vertically. So for instance if I'm referring to a file from a past project in Textmate, I'll have the current project's window lower on the screen so I can quickly switch back and forth (if I need to reference them simultaneously I'll usually resize them and put them side-by-side).

I find that having everything for a project gathered within a given program is helpful for keeping track of the files I'm working with, which keeps me on task and efficient. The main exception to this is for some projects where the files I'm editing are alternately at the very top of the directory structure, and buried extremely deep (was the case for a static HTML site plus shopping cart I did recently). Then I'll sometimes have multiple Textmate projects open so I don't have to go digging through sub-directories constantly.
Find me online at Beckism.com

Typo

Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:34 am Post

A year ago I wanted to update my site that still had the feeling of Netscape Composer 4.x. I was looking for something that's as easy to use as possibly, offers WYSIWYG and has simple blogging functionality. In the end I chose Sandvox and I'm still very pleased with the app.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:17 pm Post

After years of using DreamWeaver, I tried iWeb, then RapidWeaver, and now have settled with SandVox. Over the past weekend, I used it to refresh two sites and build a new one. With each effort I learn more and find it easier to use. Publishing is tricky: at my university site, the public_html folder is an alias, and SV can't reach that. So I have to publish to a temp file and then move the updates via FTP. The so-called Rich Text pages are quite limited: haven't learned yet how to make lists. At first the templates seemed too rigid, until I learned to turn on the Inspector and make all kinds of adjustments. The company offers a 1/3rd discount to educators, dropping the price for SandVox Pro to $53 US. They have been very responsive to my queries and the forum is helpful, too. If you want a good web site editor that accepts both code and wysiwyg input, I highly recommend SandVox.

Tr
Tripper

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:10 am Post

druid wrote:The so-called Rich Text pages are quite limited: haven't learned yet how to make lists. At first the templates seemed too rigid, until I learned to turn on the Inspector and make all kinds of adjustments.

You can also download a design tweaker which allows you to use your own graphics.

http://www.ttpsoftware.com/Products/svdesignminer.html
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

pa
pandigital

Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:11 am Post

I haven't done much html web publishing for a while opting for a simple CMS instead but a while back I picked up a copy of RAGE Webdesign
http://www.ragesw.com/products/webdesign.html

Thought I'd mention it as no one else has. Its not a WYSIWYG but allows pretty simple editing of code and previewing.

MarcustheBlacksmith

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:52 am Post

I do all of my web development these days in Aptana Studio (the Eclipse plugin). Eclipse is a platform of its own (i.e. it's cross-platform, but doesn't integrate like native Mac apps), but the truth is that once you've had real code analysis, you can't ever go back.
sincères amitiés,
Monsieur Clangy Bangy

But t'weren't the Almighty that lifted her nighty...'twas Roger the lodger, the dodger!

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:39 pm Post

For code editing I use Dreamweaver because it uses (in coding mode) an updated version of the excellent Allaire Homesite. Having said that, I couldn't agree more with whoever mentioned the "layers' thing in DW. It's so wrong there are no words, but it's there for those who like style over substance. I tried RapidWeaver and found it...rinky-dink and limiting.

As far as Joomla being a "big" CMS, it certainly doesn't have to be. I have lots (10-20) of Joomla sites ranging from 2 to 200+ pages. It's as big or as small as you need it to be.

For those who want a simple and easy to manage CMS, but get freaked out by Joomla, I'd recommend WordPress. It's so much than a blogging CMS (although it's good for that too). It's much more versatile than it gets credit for.

Oops. I got carried away and forgot to vote.
J

jb
jb

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:33 pm Post

RE: Sandvox
druid wrote:The company offers a 1/3rd discount to educators, dropping the price for SandVox Pro to $53 US.

I don't see the educational discount on their website. How did you learn this?

Thanks,
jb

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:52 pm Post

Here's what the Karelia rep told me:

We do offer educational (student/faculty) and non-profit 510(c)(3) discounts, a discount of 33% for a single-user license to Sandvox or Sandvox Pro. (We can also set up site licenses; contact us for more information.)

We ask you send us your name, title, name of organization, type of organization (e.g., church or religious organization, charity, school, university), mailing address, whether the organization is a registered 501(c)(3) and whether you're buying it for yourself or a third party. To make it easier for us to verify your status, we encourage you to send your information from an email address at the domain name associated with that organization.

After we check that you qualify, we can send you a coupon code to be used on our online store.

Address: support@karelia.com

jb
jb

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:52 pm Post

Thanks, druid.
I'll look into it.

Gareth

Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:52 am Post

I used Freeway Pro to do the Limestone Hills a few years ago (shudder: there are still "pages in preparation"), and I would recommend it as tool for anyone coming from graphic design programmes like Quark Xpress or Indesign. Uses the same techniques to build the pages, and is very flexible. However...

I also run two blogs. One, On The Farm, started out as a Tinderbox/Flint effort, but is now migrating (slowly) over to Wordpress. The other, Hot Topic, a blog supporting my last book, is what got me started on Wordpress in the first place. I am now thinking about using Wordpress for the main Limestone Hills site, using a forthcoming theme from the designer of the two themes I currently use (Chris Pearson). There are so many plug-ins for Wordpress, and such a large developer community, that I reckon I can do almost anything I want. It's far more than just a blog tool...

Pip pip!
Now available: The Aviator - a speculative fiction involving airships, AIs, and the elixir of life (which is cheese), set in a world being hammered by climate change - The Burning World. "Brilliant and wickedly satirical" - Sonny Whitelaw.

Wock

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:08 pm Post

I use Adobe Creative Suite 4.

The features that tie the programs together make all the difference in the world.
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

p a t r i c k

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:46 pm Post

I'd like to vote for BBEdit.

The other two I've tried recently were Coda by Panic and TextMate.

For me BBEdit is a clear winner.

Coda is very neat but the implementation of RegEx in the Find/Replace was imho very poor and so to do most things I would open the file in BBEdit.

TextMate is very ingenious and likeable, but not scriptable with AppleScript and built very much for those that use keyboard short-cuts exclusively.

I'm not very good with keyboard short-cuts, I forget them all the time, so with BBEdit I like the palettes. It is so easily customisable using Text factories, clippings and scripts and each of these has very well designed palette.

Like so many good things there is so much to BBEdit that I could only scratch the surface here.