Best word processor for tables and for links in PDFs?

ex
exegete77
Platform: Mac

Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:45 pm Post

Thanks for the Papyrus forum link.

Does this mean I have to dust off my German? :D

Ti
Timotheus

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:29 pm Post

Thank you, Andreas, good to know!

I bought Papyrus two years ago, and then got very soon very frustrated, because the developers didn't reply to the questions I asked them by email, and there was no forum to turn to. That's why, after two months of experimenting, I gave up working with Papyrus.

But now I see that in january 2008 Papyrus finally decided to open a user forum in German. No need to say that it would be very convenient if there were an English user forum too, but at least now there's one in German.

Papyrus definitely has potential. My impression is that, with better marketing among English speaking people (which should begin with a better and clearer website!), it could become a very popular application outside the German speaking countries too.
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

ni
nib

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:19 pm Post

Before I switched to the Mac, I tried Papyrus and got a typically Teutonic response to my query about automatic capitalization. “They” knew what was best for me and shame on me for being so lazy and unappreciative of their efforts. I’d hate to be seriously injured and need a respirator in Germany...
“Breathe, breathe, you indolent sloth! If we provide you a machine to help you, you’ll just become so lazy that you’ll soon forget how to breathe for yourself.”

Below is my email to Papyrus and their reply.

To: Customer Service

I downloaded the Papyrus Demo for Windows today and can find no provision for automatic capitalization of the first word of sentences as I type. Is this possible?

I've gotten so used to this that I find it hard to return to the old Shift key to capitalize. I'm hoping that I just missed the reference in the help files.

Their reply to my "Q" is below:

Greetings:

Sorry: No. Read below for the reason.

This is why we don't put in such "helpers", because they tend to take revenge.
One tends to "finger-forget" correct typo - bad idea.

Same with automatic typo-error-correction ("nad" instead of "and" - if the program auto-corrects this, you will "learn" to type "nad" to get an "and").

Cordially,

Mit freundlichen Gr¸flen / Regards

Ulli Ramps

(papyrus Support + GF)
R.O.M. logicware GmbH, Berlin
---------------------------------
http://www.papyrus.de (Adr., Tel., FAX)
-----------------------------------------------
*** Bitte nicht unzitiert auf alte Mails beziehen ***
My tropical fish stayed the same size for years in a 20 gallon tank: I put them in a new 50 gallon tank and they grew huge. And that’s why I refuse to buy bigger pants.

da
dafu

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:17 am Post

got a typically Teutonic response to my query about automatic capitalization.

Hoo hoo ha ha! Indeed, indeed! They're right, of course, "helpers" like this do start encouraging bad habits or, as Clippy clearly shows, can also encourage hair-pulling bouts of spittle-spraying rage. You're right, too, of course, it's very useful and a preference to turn it on and off is all that's needed.

A very funny exchange.

Dave

su
suavito

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:42 pm Post

Really funny reply from the Papyrus folks.

I hope you mailed them again and pointed them to the fact that a writing program for a computer thingie already is grossly encouraging finger laziness and that in particular a product called Papyrus should be nothing more than a rolled piece of paper.

(Actually one of the first things I switch off in a new writing app is automatic capitalization of the first word of sentences. Because it never works like it should, e. g. abbreviations cause a capital first letter of the following word. I found it way easier to use shift at the beginning of every sentence than to check for letters replaced mistakenly and secretly behind my back. But I believe in options, little boxes to tick or not. I hope this keeps me from being Teutonic.)
Author’s Preface

I wrote this book in less than two hours. I think I’ve made as much of it as one could in such a short time.

Eugen Egner, Androids from Milk

ex
exegete77

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:32 pm Post

So, I registered for the Papyrus forum, and they still won't let me post. :|

I think I can take a hint. :twisted: :cry: :mrgreen:

jn
jnailen

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:52 am Post

What do you mean they won't let you post? They deny you access to the forum?

J
Cheers,
Jeff Nailen

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:09 am Post

Imagine what they would do to our favorite 3 legged, 1 eyed, pirate dog if he tried to register there! I bet He would no longer be a he when they were done with him.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

ex
exegete77

Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:22 am Post

Jaysen wrote:Imagine what they would do to our favorite 3 legged, 1 eyed, pirate dog if he tried to register there! I bet He would no longer be a he when they were done with him.

Wow, my imagination is running away... and for an old codger that is quite a feat!!! :mrgreen:

jnailen wrote:What do you mean they won't let you post? They deny you access to the forum?

J

Well, I can access the forums. But when I try to post, it states something about not being approved by the Administrator. I had clicked the link in the email to verify my email account, and still nothing.

Oh well, I will be traveling for 3 weeks. Maybe it will be resolved when I get back.

ex
exegete77

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:29 am Post

jnailen wrote:What do you mean they won't let you post? They deny you access to the forum?

J

Here is what I receive when I try to post.

Der Administrator hat beschlossen, alle Konten vor der Aktivierung persönlich durchzugehen. Daher werden Sie nicht im vollen Umfang vom Konto Gebrauch machen können, solange dieses nicht vom Administrator bestätigt worden ist.

Ti
Timotheus

Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:40 pm Post

Just to know: on the Papyrus forum, which until now used to be 'German only', there has just been added a section for English speaking users: see here .
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain