Looking to organise

su
suavito
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:49 pm Post

Rebecca, you are absolutely right.

Yesterday evening I learned from Steve – Together's programmer, very good support too – that I not only had to disable MobileMe syncing in the OS preferences but also in Together's library manager.

Since I did that the app does behave totally different, no weird actions whatsoever! I am SO happy about this. An app that crashes when you click a certain menu item or anything like that is bad already, but an app deleting randomly content is hell. WAS hell!

So forget my previous post and get the trial of Together now! Particularly take notice of how smooth drag & drop from Together to Scrivener works and have a look at the library folder wherein you will find all library items as single files with their distinct names. As opposed to database programs like DevonThink. Which on the other hand have a faster search function.
Author’s Preface

I wrote this book in less than two hours. I think I’ve made as much of it as one could in such a short time.

Eugen Egner, Androids from Milk

Ti
Timotheus

Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:25 am Post

It's true that the present version of DT Pro is somewhat 'old'. But I've been working with it for more than two years now, and in the meantime also tried other similar applications. This has brought me to the conclusion that especially for very large databases DT Pro is still clearly the best application on the market.

And before the end of this year, in other words within three or four months, a completely new, far more powerful and flexible version should be out: see here .
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

Tu
Tullio

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:09 pm Post

Ur
Ursula

Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 am Post

DevonThink Pro is available today as MacUpdate Promo offer, 50% off.

http://www.mupromo.com/deal/617/devonthink-pro

ptram

Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:38 am Post

CircusPonies' NoteBook 3.0 is out. Looks fantastic to me.
http://www.circusponies.com/

Paolo

th
thewolfgang

Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:48 pm Post

Paolo,

Could you discuss briefly the new features in NB 3.0 you think are most important.

Many thanks,

Laurence

ptram

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:25 pm Post

Laurence,

There are a lot of new, useful small things here and there. Two of my preferred are the two-page view, where you can open a second window on the same file, and the various stickies that can be attached to a page or a single action/topic. I especially like the fact stickies can still be visible when you turn page, as you would with real stickies you put as a bookmark in a paper notebook.

You can even use stickies as free-moving index cards on a blank page, and this might be really fine when planning a story or a project.

I like the new diagramming features, even if they cannot still replace OmniGraffle for pure diagramming. But I guess they will find full use when a tablet Mac is available, and then make NB a really complete scrapbook tool, complete with handwriting recognition. Since I use diagrams a lot when planning, this is a very welcome feature to me.

Also, annotating imported PDF files could be useful, even if I don't plan to make great use of this feature. But I see its potential for other users, for whom NB is a repository of research materials more than text snippets.

Paolo

th
thewolfgang

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:55 pm Post

Thanks Paolo - I value your thoughts very highly. And your DayBooks are quite extraordinary. I'll see if I can make NB work for me. In fact, I used NB to run a large monthly newspaper for a few years between 2002 and 2004. It just requires too much thought.

I guess I'm still waiting for a program that on facing pages has a daily list of time slots for appointments and blocking out time for projects and writing, and on the other page a notes page. There's probably something like that at diyplanner.com but it would not be dynamic.

It's interesting how the computer paradigm has evolved into a one-page environment (if that's the correct way of putting it). You can get some idea of this if you try writing in Keith's MyColumn for a while, although in the end it's not really practical. (Still, when I am really on deadline, it's the fastest way I know to write and keep my entire article or review in front of me - without having to read very small type or very wide lines!)

Laurence

ptram

Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:40 pm Post

Laurence,

I'm still waiting for a program that on facing pages has a daily list of time slots for appointments and blocking out time for projects and writing, and on the other page a notes page.

I wonder if iCal is not already doing this, and can fit your needs.

Paolo

jc
jcscrib

Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:31 pm Post

Sounds like a job for OmniOutliner.

su
suavito

Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:42 pm Post

Sorry to come up with the same name over and over again—but you definitely should take a look at the new 2.2 version of Together: http://reinventedsoftware.com/together/.

Lots of new features including the long demanded nested groups.

At least until DevonThink goes public beta you can play around a little with Together.
Author’s Preface

I wrote this book in less than two hours. I think I’ve made as much of it as one could in such a short time.

Eugen Egner, Androids from Milk

JR
JRP

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:11 pm Post

I'm also a Together fan and early adopter and, believe me, for us the nested smart folder capacity is "showing us the love" by the developer and even more reason to try this great app. But I also use DT Pro extensively and like many aspects of the program and anxiously await 2.0. I will likely continue to use both apps as I do now: DT Pro for larger, more content intensive, databases where the AI is invaluable and Together as a mid-range, sometimes stop-gap database, because of the ease in which it handles quick notes, drag-and-drop Shelf, and the simple way it handles files. But it may well come down to what type of a package DT Pro 2 ends up being.

bo
bodsham

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:28 am Post

I have been round and round the houses on this one and have every bought every piece of software mentioned here. Together is excellent as a database. However for my current project I'm using Journler. It is very similar in many ways but feels more like a notepad than a database. I have a folder and sub folders for the project (a novel). The sub folders cover characters, locations, notes, scenes etc, and contain the reference material.

I am also doing something I've been promising myself for ages, namely keeping running notes on the project as it progresses, detailing my thoughts, concerns and possibilities for the future. I've tried doing this before in MacJournal but it got awkward and Together doesn't feel right either. Journler very definitely does. The other plus is that in order to sync Journler between my desktop and MacBook all I have to do is drag over the folder in documents. The syncing of Together through MobileMe was problematic to say the least - because of MobileMe, not Together. I got a lot of problems there and some lost or confused material.

The other really useful thing, which I am sure could be achieved through any of these, is to use tags for possibilities and 'must use' items which are then collected in a folder so I can remember stuff I once thought was important and would otherwise have let slip.

JR
JRP

Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:47 am Post

@bodsham: We must hold many of the same software licenses and logged the same number of bank withdrawals. I, took, tried and liked many of Journier's features. One thing I found that I miss in Together is the ability to record and audio note. I often did that when something bothered me about a scene and I wanted to talk through it a bit and get thoughts down. I also liked the developer quite a bit; found him to be cordial and responsive on the few occasions I had a question. This during a time when the application carried no price tag per se though a donation did not go amiss.

bo
bodsham

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:47 am Post

Together is very good but I think it's more of a database, like Yojimbo, than a note and thought taking application like Journler. I am NOT buying any more of these things!