My Macbook has died

Se
Sebbi

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:33 pm Post

It's sitting in it's bag waiting to go off to the Apple shop.
Sigh.

When I press the on button: nothing happens.
Literally, nothing at all.

I have tried resetting the Power Manager. I have tried cleaning the the bit that connects the battery to the rest of it.

Nothing.
Nothing at all.

If anyone knows why this has happened and how to fix it, let me know - otherwise it'll be in the hands of the Apple people.
This could work in my favour - the LEA are giving me a Macbook Pro in September, so if I get a refund, rather than a replacement, then I don't have to worry about selling my Macbook.

*Sigh*
Everything my heart desires, may you achieve and be my accomplice

Se
Sebbi

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:38 pm Post

In other news, I've started Yoga

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:36 pm Post

Could be that the book was mad at you for constantly ignoring it for extended periods of time...

OK, all seriousness aside, these systems have FEELINGS. It isn't like they are mechanized automatons that that break down for purely physical conditions. You ignore, harass, irritate, malign or in other ways cause them discomfort and they will SEEK REVENGE in a way that will make you wish that they were just a teenage girl accusing you of cheating with her sister (a better looking and less annoying sister)(BTW marring the sister who you were not cheating with can turn out to be a good idea in the long run, worked for me anyway). So consider a new peripheral or two. Something new and shinny with a lot of blinking LEDs. Or maybe a new fluffy piece of software.

Sorry. On to reality (which of course SUCKS). Things happen. Probably a bad component on the logic board. If you are under warrantee Apple (or apple care) is pretty good about taking care of things like this. If you aren't then you might be a bit disappointed. Let us know how things turn out. If you get in a jamb there may be options that we can point you towards.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:16 am Post

These may be totally silly suggestions, but given my experience, I'll give them anyway:

1) Have you tried removing the battery, connecting it to the mains and trying to boot it like that? Just in case it's actually the battery that is the problem ...

2) Do you carry it and the mains power thingy round with you very much? When you connect it to the mains, does the little orange/green LED on the magnetic connector come on? I had to buy a new power pack, because with all the carrying around, the very fine wires in the lead to the MBP had got broken where they leave the power pack with continual wriggling and twisting while being packed up/carried around in the backpack.

Hope it's sorted quickly.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Se
Sebbi

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:19 am Post

I have tried booting it with and without Batteries and Mains power in every combination I can - including neither (which is meant to reset the power manager).

And neither work. I'm not under Apple care any more, my warranty is a year long warranty and I got it in April 2007, so I have a bad feeling about this. I hope it doesn't become as useful to me as a shiny white tray - I would expect other manufacturers to have their products break just after the warranty expires, but not from Apple.

peterdcox

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:58 am Post

Go to your Apple Sore (if it has re-opened after the iPhone debacle ....) Book online to see a Genius (booking opens 48hrs before the time slot so if you want a specific time get online the minute booking opens).
I recently had two problems with my MacBook out of warranty (chipped case top and busted charger connector) that I expected big row or payment for as the Computer Warehouse warranty I thought I had wasn't worth the paper it was printed on!! I took my machine into Birmingham - was seen on the dot of 2pm and my revived MacBook was ready for me at 4pm. Exemplary I think.
So, throw your self at a Genius....
Peter D Cox
Management and development consultant, Mac advocate, Welsh learner, and long-time but intermittent blogger. Broadcaster and author of stuff http://www.pdconair.com

alexwein

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:15 pm Post

How terribly sad about your Mac. However, I think it quite wonderful that now you will have lots of time to work on your yoga practice. I mean, let's keep priorities straight, here! :)
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

Ju
Just Write

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:45 pm Post

So sorry to hear this! Any update?

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have purchased the Apple Care with my MacBook Pro. In hindsight, do you think it is worth it?

Jaysen

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:51 pm Post

Just Write wrote:So sorry to hear this! Any update?

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have purchased the Apple Care with my MacBook Pro. In hindsight, do you think it is worth it?

YES!!!!!! GO GET IT NOW!!!!!

My warrantee expired before I purchased mine. The LCD (which has been replaced 4 items) is acting up. Apple is leaving me to pay for it myself. Buy the care plan just to save yourself this frustration.

For the record this is the only beef I have with apple. They should let us "recertify" a machine that is out of warrantee. i would even pay a fee for the bench time required. Apple is the only vendor I deal with that will not budge on this front.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Wock

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:17 pm Post

I bet it is a defective power brick (The actual cable). These things are a little sensitive to "dirty" electricity and tend to burn up. Especially this is frequent for people who are college students and live in Dorms or Apartments, People who live in Townhouses, or people who travel a lot and tend to stay at Hotels or use random outlets (like at airports, coffee shops, etc).

Simple test is find someone who has a Mac with the same adapter and try their adapter to see if you get power.

PS: Apple Care is a MUST on all Apple Laptops. That is unless you have tons of money and are the risk taker sort :-)
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Ju
Just Write

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:29 pm Post

Okay - duly noted. I'll purchase the warranty. I'm well past the MacBook Pro's sticker shock, so why not? hard to believe I've had it almost four months. Harder to believe that I've actually become so fond of the darn thing.

Wock - seems you are a huge brain when it comes to Macs. I've found value in a lot of your Mac posts. Thanks. Hope this helps Sebbi.

Jaysen

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 pm Post

OH God, JW do NOT pet the bird. Ruffle his feathers all you want, jsut don't get him feeling all high and mighty.

I have had my MBP17 for over a year now. Best $$ I ever spent. Right next to the wedding ring anyway.
Jaysen

ImageImage

Wock

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:39 pm Post

The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

xiamenese

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:39 am Post

Wock wrote:I bet it is a defective power brick (The actual cable). These things are a little sensitive to "dirty" electricity and tend to burn up. Especially this is frequent for people who are college students and live in Dorms or Apartments, People who live in Townhouses, or people who travel a lot and tend to stay at Hotels or use random outlets (like at airports, coffee shops, etc).

Simple test is find someone who has a Mac with the same adapter and try their adapter to see if you get power.

Yep ... as I said, it could well be that the copper filaments in the wire from the power-brick to the 'puter have got broken just at the point of entry to the power-brick through repeated twisting. It happened to me. But easier to find someone with the same adapter in London than here in Xiamen!

Mark

xiamenese

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:47 am Post

Jaysen wrote:I have had my MBP17 for over a year now. Best $$ I ever spent. Right next to the wedding ring anyway.

I concur ... though I've had the MBP17 for coming up to 2 years and love it. I also love my new MBA as I'm not having to carry such a heavy load around with me all the time now and it's really great, but the keyboard on the MBP wins hands down for me.

As for wedding rings, yeah ... £13 for hers and £9 for mine over 38 years ago. Mind you, she stopped actually wearing hers some time ago and I had to have mine cut off about 4 years ago — it literally hadn't left my finger for 17 years — a result of digital expansion, for both of us. You can still see where mine was ... just!
:)

Mark