One Larger or Two Smaller...

Bo
Boys of Summer

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:02 pm Post

I am in possession of a MacBook Pro and a 20 inch monitor.

I am thinking of going larger, like to a 23 or a 24 inch display OR...getting another 20 inch monitor side by side.

I was wondering if most are fans of 1 larger monitor or 2 side by side.

Any input?

Has anyone ever put to monitors together and not been able to "get used" to having two separate monitors. Two monitors does appeal to the schizo side of me that I hide but one larger one seems like less of a value.

H
"She watched him turn and walk out of the park, and she wondered about him all of the rest of the day, this strange man with the intense look, who stood in the middle of the park, in love with it."

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:30 pm Post

Generally speaking, the best solution is usually the one that gives you the largest total area (desk space permitting). In this case, that would be the two 20-inch screens.

Two screens is also likely to be more economical, since cost per square inch tends to go up as screen size increases. That may not be an issue at these dimensions, though.

Provided each monitor is large enough to hold a full window, having two side by side shouldn't be distracting. The dead space at the screen edge just becomes empty desktop space. That's especially true when both monitors are the same size.

Hope this helps,

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Bo
Boys of Summer

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:46 pm Post

Katherine:

You are wonderful!

Thanks again!
"She watched him turn and walk out of the park, and she wondered about him all of the rest of the day, this strange man with the intense look, who stood in the middle of the park, in love with it."

sa
sampsa

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:48 pm Post

Have you found a way to connect two monitors to a MacBook Pro? As far as I know, it can only do one external monitor.

Why not use your laptop monitor and an external monitor? Put your laptop on a stand next to your external monitor, like this http://flickr.com/photos/jakecaptive/151915768/ (random Flickr page that shows what I mean, no connection to the person).

Bo
Boys of Summer

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:59 pm Post

Sampsa...

You are right!

There probably is now way to connect two monitors.

Well, that might just solve the problem but I do love your idea!

H

MarcustheBlacksmith

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:46 am Post

I've seen a couple of products for powering multi-head configurations from MacBook Pros. They tend to be big, clunky boxes and not be super-cheap, but they exist.

I can't for the life of me remember which Apple feed I saw one reviewed on...anyway, Google should turn up gold.
sincères amitiés,
Monsieur Clangy Bangy

But t'weren't the Almighty that lifted her nighty...'twas Roger the lodger, the dodger!

Bo
Boys of Summer

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:58 pm Post

Wonderful Marcus!

Thanks so much!..