Safari or Firefox

Bo
Boys of Summer

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:20 am Post

Hi all:

I was wondering if any of you have switched from Safari (default on new Macs) to Firefox.

I have just switched and was wondering if anyone else is not happy with Safari. For one thing, the text can be off just enough to be annoying. Any thoughts?

Howard
"She watched him turn and walk out of the park, and she wondered about him all of the rest of the day, this strange man with the intense look, who stood in the middle of the park, in love with it."

Radish
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:10 am Post

Having just converted [cold turkey!] from a PC+Word to a Mac+Scrivener, I figure I've already got enough adapting to do, so I'm sticking with Firefox,... for the time, at least.
what was that middle part again?

MarcustheBlacksmith

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:32 am Post

I used Firefox exclusively for 6 months after I switched to Mac - my experiences with Safari 2 was less than stellar.

Then...Safari 3 came out in beta and I was blown away by it - all of the speed and smooth usability of Safari without most of the not-so-great rendering issues of Safari 2. And, tabs were on by default and handled better, more like Firefox.

I use Safari as my primary browser now, but I still have Firefox (and Opera, and Camino, and Shiira, and OmniWeb...I develop websites, so that's a must. Got IE7 in a VM, too) around. It's useful for the few sites now that Safari still renders incorrectly. I can't get over how easily Safari renders really complicated, javascript-heavy websites.

bl
bluloo

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:37 am Post

I tend to go back and forth. Safari is not nearly as useful as FF to me without the 3rd party plugins. Unfortunately, they often cause stability issues.
Safari is much nicer looking, renders better (IMO) and is more Mac like (of course) but it will stop loading pages and has strange UI glitches after a few hours of use. Clearing cache doesn't help. Uninstalling the input managers would likely fix my problems, but removing features presents others.

Ah choices. :)

For now I'm back on FF with Safari as my secondary browser. FF3 will likely reign supreme if the UI is better and all of my plugins are ported.

ChrisRosser
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:45 am Post

For everyday browsing, Safari is great. But for web development, Firefox is much better.
Mild-mannered Technical Writer by day, closet fantasist by night
I run Scrivener on macOS and iOS :mrgreen:

Website | Scrivener Articles
Amazon | Twitter | Facebook

AndreasE

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:15 am Post

I like Safari, and I didn't like Firefox when I still was on PC; I then prefered indeed MS-Internet Explorer. Sometimes I used Opera: When someone tried to keep me with some javascript tricks from copying something from his website...

The main advantage of IE was that it stored saved websites in a reasonable manner. Firefox (besides being sloooow and clumsy) and Opera stored all the files a website consists of side by side, which makes it almost impossible to move the download to another place of your folder structure. IE keeps all secondary files (images etc.) in a dedicated sub-folder. (I don't know whether this is still the case today.)

Safaris webarchives are, of course, far better than that. So, I am happy with it.

This is, I admit, the viewpoint of a writer who uses his browser mainly for research. Website development is not of big importance for me.

valente.mac

Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:26 am Post

I like OmniWeb... tryed several times to get back to Safari, but I just love the sidetabs and the general behaviour of OmniWeb.

On the other hand, I installed recently Firefox 3beta and love it. I'm using it as my secondary browser now. May even consider it as my main one after being official released.

ex
exegete77

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:59 pm Post

My usage:

75% - Safari 3
20% - Camino
05% - Firefox

Overall, Safari does just about everything I want, but I like to keep up with FF/Camino development.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:50 pm Post

I prefer Safari, but have issues using it in a few places.

1) Javascript is broken on 3 when using a proxy server. Apple doesn't seem to care and is ignoring the tickets I have opened.

2) Some sites are just M$ centric. FF on Mac can at least display the sites. I hate doing business with these folks but I have no real choice.

3) Extension of #2 is the active-x component of one specific site I visit. It simply won't work on anything other than a windows VM. The admins claim support of OSX/Linux, but they are clearly clueless (I provided them the details on how to fix it, but hey, they know more than I do)

So much for "word wide" web. It seems to me that the only place that discrimination based on profile is really legal is the net. Heck, I can't join a "white man's gym" (not saying I would just making a point) but I can refuse to allow diversity on my web site.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:16 pm Post

I discovered FF while still on Windows, and carried it with me to Mac. Then Safari 3 came out, and I started using it as primary browser, for all the noted reasons. But I'm a writer/researcher; if I were a web developer, I'd have stayed with FF, or looked into others.

I keep Camino and Opera on hand, but seldom use them.

Phil
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

Wock

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:36 pm Post

Safari is based on Webkit
http://www.webkit.org

The new Safari 3.1 is expected soon.

Download the current webkit beta and take it for a test drive.

For use as internet browser webkit/safari hands down. (Because it is noticeably faster)

but if you use a browser for more than just viewing pages of interest then it is firefox.

I use both for different needs and purposes.

But I really like Webkit (daily updated safari build)
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

bl
bluloo

Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:22 pm Post

AndreasE wrote:
Safaris webarchives are, of course, far better than that. So, I am happy with it.

I should note that I can only use FF because of webarchive capture via Yojombo. Otherwise FF's native capture mode is terrible and pdf printing yields strange formatting atrifacts.

YMMV

alexwein

Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:30 pm Post

My usage:

Safari: 98%
Firefox: 2%

Have no complaints about Safari, like it in fact, and it's more integrated Mac OS X-wise. Looking forward to trying out the new version.
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

arashi

Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:18 pm Post

Safari makes downloading some flash clips easier. Otherwise, I use Firefox as my default.

I might use Safari more if I could figure a way to display my bookmarks in a column pane to the left of the main browser window. I must be missing something with Safari because I can't imagine Apple thinks it's OK to leave the browser window to sift through the bookmarks. I use the drop down menus along the top of the browser window as well as the bookmarks pane down the left side.

arashi
Everybody is in his own dream. The discrepancies that exist between the dreams are the problem. — Kodo Sawaki

ka
kastorff

Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:01 am Post

arashi wrote:I might use Safari more if I could figure a way to display my bookmarks in a column pane to the left of the main browser window.

Take a look at Saft. It's a Safari plug-in that adds a customizable sidebar. Saft also adds the ability to reopen pages/tabs that were open when you quit Safari, as well as much more advanced "blocking" capabilities.
Keith Kastorff