On Scrivener, Storymill and the value of Timelines

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:16 pm Post

Matt --

Actually, I thought of both North and South.

I don't think the Temporis icon is a sundial. (The whole circle is divided into twelve equal parts -- I suppose it might work at the poles.)

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:53 pm Post

Karen, Luv.
When this gang have finished with it, it will probably, ‘be’, a trigger. It`ll embody so much occult symbolism, you`ll be able to use it in various, ‘Satanic Noviciate Initiation Rituals’.

I`d give it a wide if I were you. In fact, you should only be posting to this thread, if you`re weighed down with crucifixes and have a Pentangle, chalked around the couch!

Take Care
Loads‘o’Luv
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ma
matt

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:08 am Post

PJS wrote:Matt --

Actually, I thought of both North and South.

I don't think the Temporis icon is a sundial. (The whole circle is divided into twelve equal parts -- I suppose it might work at the poles.)

ps

I stand defeated :oops:

Matt

ma
matt

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:10 am Post

karen wrote:Matt,

I'd like to try a beta version of your software. I am curious to see if I can use it to help me identify triggers for flares of my ME/CFS symptoms.

- karen

I will hopefully be releasing it in the next 2 weeks. I would be very interested to see what other uses people can find for it, and if there are ways it can be enhanced for different uses without impacting on the original design goal.

ma
matt

Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:24 am Post

Eek... 2 weeks is up already!

Logo is almost done. We have been throwing it back and forth for a while making various changes.

Matt

Redfox
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:42 pm Post

Just found this thread, and I'm really liking the idea of the app, since I write historical fantasy - any news on the beta? I'm running Tiger (on a MacBook) and would be happy to join in the beta test...

TIA!
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

ma
matt

Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:13 pm Post

I am in Cambridge for a work trip at the moment.
Logo is finally complete (or will be when I get back)...

I will be jetlagged this weekend, but next weekend it will be out for certain.

I want it done in October, so that I can do NaNoWriMo in November.

Matt

Redfox

Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:30 pm Post

* Waves to Matt from sunny Hinxton, South Cambs *

Where are you in Cambridge? Or is that top secret? :)

Good luck with NaNoWriMo - I'm giving it a miss this year, as me and Scriv are going to be way busy revising my NaNo '06 mess...
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

ma
matt

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:48 am Post

Currently awake at 4am in the Arundel Hotel.
But in a few hours, I will be on a plane at Heathrow.

Matt

Redfox

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:22 am Post

Ah, I know the Arundel - we once had a work Christmas lunch there. Nice views over Jesus Green :)

Bon voyage, and I hope the jetlag isn't too severe!

ma
matt

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:01 am Post

Not the final version of the icon, but it is getting pretty close:

aeon_test6_128.png
aeon_test6_128.png (20.43 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

The placement of the various 'life stages' around the timeline came to me when we were tossing up between numbers and roman numerals.

Positive comments only, I can't afford to pay more to change it ;)
Alright, I will accept friendly suggestions of potential improvement as well, if anyone can see anything glaringly obvious.

First beta will be released pretty soon, hopefully over the weekend. Obviously it is a long way from a finished application, but will be good to get some feedback, and it should be at a stage where it is usable and useful.

I have to make a decision on file extension - it can either be .aeon or .atl (aeon timeline) - preferences? I can't find a clash for atl except for some really obscure hardware stuff.

By the way, you will notice that the icon has nothing to do with the name Aeon Timeline - so those of you who hate 'Aeon' coz it sounds too 'bad sci-fi' still have a chance to swing it to something else with a really good suggestion (I still like Themis from before, but it is as taken as ever, and distinguishing it as Themis Timeline doesn't sound good).

Matt

Tr
Tripper
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:20 am Post

What happened to StoryTime?
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

Siren

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:00 am Post

Looks good! The only thing I would suggest is (in preparation for your massive global expansion) that the use of a crucifix on the "death" symbol could be seen as culturally specific. I would be tempted to change the inscription to "RIP", or to change the gravestone symbol to something less tied to a particular funerary ritual (a skull, maybe, or is that too gruesome?). If you felt like getting carried away with enthusiasm (as I obviously am), there is also room on the dial to add a wheel between the tombstone and the baby, to symbolise reincarnation or the never-ending cycle of life. And if you do decide on "Aeon" as a name, you could cut holes in the gnomon (parallel to its existing lines) to turn it into a stylised A -- although I should stress that I like the gnomon just the way it is, so this is mere thinking aloud.

Well done. Can't wait to try the beta when you're ready.
Literature & Latte support team

ni
nicolinux

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:14 am Post

I like this icon too...

For the file extension, I would say the smaller the better but it doesn't really matter for the user, so you can pick whatever you want... ;)

Can't wait to try the beta version !

ma
matt

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:22 am Post

Yes, we did have those concerns about the cross on the tombstone. It actually started with RIP, but I didn't like having the writing there either. I am not sure that is any more universal.

Perhaps we will get rid of it altogether. Skull or skull&crossbones probably don't get drawn on too many tombstones I think...

Do you think the shape alone will be enough to give the meaning?

[Edited to add: the gap between the baby and grave is left deliberately, based on the position of where symbols would lie on an actual sundial - they don't get placed where the sun won't shine.

We thought about playing around putting an 'A' onto it one way or another, but it usually just looked too forced, and we probably had enough going on with the arrow anyway.]

Matt
Last edited by matt on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.