What happened to Circus Ponies?

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:33 pm Post

Hugh wrote: and Curio's mind-mapping capability is good for most purposes.)

Can it map Vic-k's mind?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Ga
Gabbe
Platform: Mac

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:06 pm Post

Of course you are right Hugh, but the information is for people coming from places where cost information is relevant information :D

vi
vivian

Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:37 am Post

Hugh wrote:
vivian wrote:Has anyone identified another notebook app that can handle the work load of cpn? I am absolutely grief stricken. I didn't see this coming. I have a very large notebook of research, and am now trying to find someplace to relocate it. It would be too cumbersome for omnioutliner and scrivnr. If bento was still around... It looks like aquaminds notetaker hasn't been updated in 3 years, so I am worried that spending time and energy to put it there will be a waste of time. Suggestions please!!

http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/6249/0/an-alternative-to-circus-ponies-notebook

Thank you! I have been in contact with Aquaminds today and have been working on transferring everything over. This sounds awful--I would pay anything at this point, so I am going to give Curio a look. I need a stable program, that can get me to finish the research for a major writing project. For future projects, I am planning on using scrivner period, and not just for the writing. I was really inspired by this post to give it a try. https://earlyamericanists.com/2013/06/1 ... istorians/ [If other historians are using scrivnr in this manner, I would love to hear/see more about your workflow!] This project is too far along and too complex for me to make sense of it using Scrivner.

I religiously use devonthinkpro as well as omnioutliner for all sorts of projects, but couldn't see them as replacements for CPN because my usage patterns. I will be curious to see how other people are using them to transition from CPN.

fg
fgrieser
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:06 pm Post

Vivian.

Just curious: Why don't you continue to use CP till the end of your project? If I am not mistaken the software does not stop working right now.

Franz

vi
vivian

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:25 am Post

Thank you Hugh. I am most likely going to switch everything over to Aquaminds notetaker. The index function is not as capable as CPN, but there seems to be no alternative. I wish everyone the best of luck finding a replacement program!

http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/6249/0/an-alternative-to-circus-ponies-notebook[/quote]

Hu
Hugh

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:07 pm Post

You're welcome.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

ptram

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:54 am Post

During the latest years, I've limited my use of CP NoteBook to be my GTD manager. Its SuperFind page, with all the due actions sorted by category, and its ease of syncronization with Apple Calendar, is great for this, and I can't see any replacement that I can like.

I will probably continue using it until it works. I'm still on Yosemite, and it seems to work great on El Capitan. Since Jayson was an excellent software engineer, I bet it will work fine with at least a few subsequent OS releases. And there is a ton of export options available, to move your data to some other software when you have to.

For organizing and storing notes, and organizing study materials, I'm continuing to use DevonThink Pro Office. During the latest years I've let it only work on aliases, since with Spotlight being so effective I prefer to keep my original and annotated PDFs in the Finder. DTPO will jump in when I need OCR and deep searching inside the concepts and ideas.

For quick notetaking, I'm using Apple Notes. The older one, since I'm on Yosemite. It just works. The newer (El Capitan) one is even better. It's enough for me.

I've used CP NoteBook as a presentation tool more than once. The web-based organization of materials suits me much better than slides. I guess I'll have to find some alternative way of doing the same, sooner or later.

Paolo

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:06 pm Post

I have just discovered Notability. Works perfectly with the iPad Pro and Pencil.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:58 pm Post

lunk wrote:I have just discovered Notability. Works perfectly with the iPad Pro and Pencil.

Zoot for Windows is also a pretty good replacement. ;)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:53 pm Post

... on a Mac? :roll:
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

th
thewolfgang

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:01 pm Post

I've just gone quickly through the cycle of available replacements for CPN and agree with ptram above there is none - it is an astounding circumstance, and what I've rediscovered just writing one short review is how much a writer's app CPN is/was - the whole notion of paper styles, which is always summarily dismissed, is a key to finding a comfort zone to create in - none of the markdown environments resemble it in any way - a relic like Grandview or XyWrite