how to sync files between two computers

St
Studio717

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:31 pm Post

I'm more paranoid than most (when it comes to computer issues), so I have a .mac account (set up to sync regularly), Chronosync (ditto), and I will often email a file to myself for an off-site back up in addition to the .mac one.

But that's all for backup, not really syncing my .scriv projects. I think if you use both snapshot and backup to... from within Scrivener, then even if you do get confused a time or two, you'll still have the work.

Once Scrivener can handle Applescript, of course, things will probably get a lot easier. Until then, whatever process you choose, my advice is to:

1) Keep it fairly simple so you won't put off doing it when you're rushed or stressed out.

2) Keep consistent about using it.

One problem people run into is that they save to USB sticks one week, then change and back up to .mac the next, then try a third process the following week, so they never really know where they are.

Not sure if Automator would help this process or not. Might be worth looking into (but it's something I keep putting off so I can't help you there).

:)

Wock

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:22 pm Post

Another option is to set the "faster" of the two cpus as a "server" and network the two together. Work of the "networked drive" (Faster CPU's HD) and you have only one copy to worry about.

Or you can use Apple's .Mac account and use their iSync to sync the two computers, or use

Back To My Mac
http://www.apple.com/dotmac/backtomymac.html

Many methods to this problem, the biggest probelm is finding what method best works for your scenario.

Myself I don't like "auto backups/syncs" that much unless I am doing daily backups of a server. The reason is if it is a file or a folder that is critical to my work I would rather manually back it up and verify the backup manually to ensure no data loss or corruption has occured.
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

St
Studio717

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:48 pm Post

Wock wrote:

Back To My Mac
http://www.apple.com/dotmac/backtomymac.html

That is definitely on my list to try once I have two machines with Leopard on them. I still haven't upgraded my Powerbook to Leopard (and may not). But I am looking at a Macbook at some point, then I could try this. It sounds wonderful.

Anyone actually using it?

re
rebecca

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:31 pm Post

Prion--

It's a fat file.

Thank you--and everyone who has posted--for your generous help.

Rebecca

re
rebecca

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:35 pm Post

Prion--

I just had the strangest thing happen. I posted what I thought was a reply to your question, and it went to another question on this forum altogether. I have no idea how I did that, but it kind of shows what a tech feeb I am.

Anyway, the little hard drive is a fat file.

Also, it's not a Memorex. I got the name mixed up with one of the thumb drives, which is a Memorex. This little hard drive is a Maxtor Mini iii. I don't know if that matters.

Thank you,

Rebecca

Pr
Prion

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:15 pm Post

rebecca wrote:Prion--

It's a fat file.

Rebecca

Ok, so the external harddrive is using the FAT file system (it is not a file per se but it does not matter too much). This will give you time to check out if you like Chronosync until daylight saving hours are back. Nothing important just something to keep in mind for later.

What I suggest you do is identify one directory (or folder) on your computers harddrive that contains data files (Scrivenes, plain text files, pictures, whatever) you are interested in.

Press Command-D on your keyboard (Apple key and D) . This will duplicate this folder.

Manually drag the newly created duplicate to the external harddrive.

This will leave two identical instances of the folder you have chosen on your computers harddrive and one on the external harddrive, all of which should be identical. We did this because now you can play around without messing up your novel...

Perhaps you might want to mark the duplicate folder as such more conspicuously. Right click (or control click) the duplicate folder and choose a colour label that you dislike the most.

Download the Chronosync demo and install it. I'll talk you through setting up everything in CS later.

Prion

re
rebecca

Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:58 pm Post

Prion--

I've followed your instructions and am ready for the next step.

Thanks,

Rebecca