Things

Bo
Boys of Summer

Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:03 am Post

Rock on?

Goodness me...
"She watched him turn and walk out of the park, and she wondered about him all of the rest of the day, this strange man with the intense look, who stood in the middle of the park, in love with it."

antony

Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:09 pm Post

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:45 pm Post

...come on antony...
Last edited by vic-k on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

vic-k

...that`s just...
Last edited by vic-k on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

vic-k

...taking the piss...!!

Bo
Boys of Summer

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:06 pm Post

I suspect "taking the piss" s a UK expression?

Love to get a translation?

H
"She watched him turn and walk out of the park, and she wondered about him all of the rest of the day, this strange man with the intense look, who stood in the middle of the park, in love with it."

vic-k

Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:11 pm Post

Howard,
A more appropriate reaction to antony`s army of thingies would be ..."That`s a bit OTT(over the top)."
To inflict what looks remarkably like a gang of my inlaws having a go at me, on to Scriv`s crew of innocents, is a bit much. Hence `taking the piss`, or `you can`t be serious`.
see:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-tak2.htm

take care
vic

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:04 am Post

I don't know what Antony has done, but he seems to have got up the nose of the authorities here ... all his images and his avatar turn up blank no matter which browser I use, OmniWeb, Opera, the latest Safari ...

Blocked by the Chinese government ... there's glory for you! :lol:

Mark

(Actually, to be more realistic, I guess all his image files are stored on flickr farm1 or farm2, as they are blocked.)
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

ma
matt

Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:26 am Post

Boys of Summer wrote:I suspect "taking the piss" s a UK expression?

Love to get a translation?

H

Interesting you mention that.

Here in Australia, "taking the piss" (usually used as "take the piss out of X") basically means making fun of someone. But it has a subtlety to it. It is usually done almost as a satire, but generally shouldn't come across in a mean way. If you take the piss out of X, X should be able to laugh at it too.

There is a very definite distinction between "taking the piss out of someone" and "putting shit on someone", the latter usually being cheap and mean insults, and usually less clever.

Matt

Bo
Boys of Summer

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:49 am Post

I thank you all for your explanations as it relates to "pissing off" and other areas of interest.

It has always been my hope to insult, slander, and generally malign not only those I see daily in the states but internationally as well.

I am one step closer to attaining that goal.

All the best,

H

ma
matt

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:52 am Post

Boys of Summer wrote:I thank you all for your explanations as it relates to "pissing off" and other areas of interest.

Is that (a) "pissing off" as in "I am pissing off now" as in "I am leaving"... which is what you would do if someone much larger than you told you to "piss off"?

Or is it (b) "pissing off" as in "you are pissing me off", as in "you are making me very angry"... the end result being that you would be "pissed off" by something, or "pissed" for short?

Which incidentally is also a term for being drunk, as in (c) "you're pissed", most likely as a result of being "on the piss" too long at a recent "piss up"?

By now you're probably pissed at me taking the piss - as opposed to vic-k, who is no doubt just pissed - so I think it best if I just piss off.

antony

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:26 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:(Actually, to be more realistic, I guess all his image files are stored on flickr farm1 or farm2, as they are blocked.)

Flickr, blocked? What on earth for?!

(And yes, that's where I store my images...)
Last edited by antony on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

vic-k

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:34 pm Post

matt wrote:s that (a) "pissing off" as in "I am pissing off now...... as opposed to vic-k, who is no doubt just pissed - so I think it best if I just piss off.

Got yer money`s worth out of that one...eh! Ned: :wink:

Ti
Timotheus

Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:48 pm Post

My threefold GTD-strategy:

1. Taskpaper: simple list of (often generic, and not terribly important) things to be done which are not tied to an exact moment in time (buy pencils, clean bathroom, call Mum).
2. iCal with alarms, for important things tied to an exact moment which I might forget (dentist, important meeting with colleague, interesting TV-program).
3. Scrivener! All my Scrivener projects have a document called "Done", in which I describe (often in detail) all serious things done in relation to that project, and another document called "To Be Done", which speaks for itself. And the first is no less important than the second: for I'm working on various documents contemporaneously, and if I don't write down exactly what I did relating to a certain project, after a month or so spent working on another project, I don't remember anymore what I effectively did relating to the first project, and what I planned to do but didn't do.

To some this may seem rather strange and / or complicated, but in my case it works well.
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7 (13.3)

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

xiamenese

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:35 pm Post

antony wrote:
xiamenese wrote:(Actually, to be more realistic, I guess all his image files are stored on flickr farm1 or farm2, as they are blocked.)

Flickr, blocked? What on earth for?!

(And yes, that's where I store my images...)

Some bright spark thought he would strike a blow for freedom of thought and communication, and perhaps cause a tidal wave of change in the Chinese government's attitude to these things, and posted a photo of the Tian'anmen incident on Flickr. The simple result was that the powers that be here promptly blocked access to Flickr -- farm3 has come on line since then so is not blocked -- and so no one here can access Flickr farm1 or farm2. BBC news has been blocked for ever as has Wickepedia, as well as many bizarre things like http://www.Qdea.org, the download server for updates of Synchronize! Pro X ...

I am told that currently ask.com and YouTube have been blocked here since the events in Tibet, but I haven't tried them.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …