Things

Ro
RobertB
Platform: Mac

Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:56 pm Post

Well, as if choosing a to do app. wasn't already difficult, now there is The Hit List. It's actually pretty slick but still missing a few key features in the current beta.

http://www.potionfactory.com/blog/2009/ ... ic-preview

In
InAccuFacts

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 pm Post

I'm amused at how long this thread has been going!

Lifehacker did an article on Mark Forster's AutoFocus system. I've been trying it (after Things and OmniFocus), and, for me, it's been the only one I've stuck with and actually got me DOING things, instead of just planning the things I might do.
Link: http://lifehacker.com/5151111/autofocus-is-a-single-paper+based-list-organization-system

Oh, and even though the headline says "paper based," I'm actually using the system within TaskPaper--it's a great combo.

AndreasE

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:22 pm Post

InAccuFacts wrote:Mark Forster's AutoFocus system

:shock:

Now, that looks interesting! Thank you for the hint, I'll have to test-drive it.

Ve
Vermonter17032

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm Post

I was impressed looking at this simple, elegant new task management tool, ZenTask. Here's the URL:

http://www.zentaskapp.com/

Steve

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:29 pm Post

Oh dear, I think there is something wrong with me! Is there a name for a compulsive disorder which makes you pathologically incapable of resisting playing with new variations on the task management theme? :)

I downloaded The Hit List earlier today, and have just got all my complicated repeating tasks set up -- and I think I like this app better than the others. It's buggy, of course, being a beta, but so far it seems the best match for what I want a task management app to do. I have got a bit fed up waiting for OmniFocus (which I bought) and Things (which I didn't buy) to implement features I want which they say are in the pipeline. The Hit List doesn't have everything on the list, but it comes closer than the others.
Literature & Latte support team

Ro
RobertB

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 am Post

Yeah, The Hit List is very nice. I'm still using Things but have been trying out THL. It is very much in beta but it seems to combine the best of OmniFocus and Things. I like the minimal design of THL. Like when entering a date you are just presented with a text box and you type "every other saturday" and a recurring task is set up. It's the little touches...

Ti
Timotheus

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:10 am Post

True, The Hit List is very nice. Very elegant design, well thought out, flexible, very simple to use. But the price is high: $ 50 for now, $ 70 after the launch of version 1.0.
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7 (13.3)

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

ma
matt

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:40 pm Post

I suspect a lot of people just got the hit list in the latest macheist bundle. Which would mean that for many, cost isn't an issue.

I ran into some bugs when I started using it which caused constant annoying popup error messages, and a loss of all the data I had entered. But since I own a licence, and kept baulking at the cost of Things, I will probably use it once it switches out of beta.

In
InAccuFacts

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:07 pm Post

For those of you using these programs--Things, Hit List, Task Paper, OmniFocus--do you actually work from the computer screen? Or do you print to paper first?

My inclination is to print, but I haven't found any of these to do a very good job. Which winds up leading me back to to hand-writing on paper.

I wonder if Scrivener itself wouldn't do a decent job as a task manager if you jiggered it around a bit...
The Out-of-Copyright Old-Time Ukulele Sheet Music of the Week Club
http://UkeSongoftheMonth.com/

juh

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:33 pm Post

I don't use a GTD programme anymore. I tried out a lot.

I use a paper based systems now. A simple notebook. And it works. :D

Ah
Ahab

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:18 pm Post

I went paper-based as well, after trying all the usual suspects. I just have a small deck of index cards labeled Chores, Errands, Garden, Magazine, Book, etc. They're clipped together by the pen, and kept on my desk when I'm at work and in my pocket when I'm not.

A lot easier to keep track of short-term things. Longer, more involved projects go into either Scrivener or the poor abandoned revenant called Mori.

Hu
Hugh

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:06 pm Post

Ahab wrote:I went paper-based as well, after trying all the usual suspects. I just have a small deck of index cards labeled Chores, Errands, Garden, Magazine, Book, etc. They're clipped together by the pen, and kept on my desk when I'm at work and in my pocket when I'm not.

juh wrote:I don't use a GTD programme anymore. I tried out a lot.

I use a paper based systems now. A simple notebook. And it works. :D

And from the Timer software thread:
mary wrote:I just use my alarm clock! That's been working very well :D -

Ah well, back to my Olivetti. :)
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Da
Dave_Peterson

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:32 pm Post

I tried Things, and switched to The Hit List as soon as the beta was available.

Nested folders is the main feature that makes it better than Things. THL also has a less restricted work flow. The user decides the names of folders, for instance.

I use it all the time and I rarely print anything. The big improvement will be when the iPhone app is done. Then it will be portable.

Dave

Ve
Vermonter17032

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:51 pm Post

Siren wrote:Oh dear, I think there is something wrong with me! Is there a name for a compulsive disorder which makes you pathologically incapable of resisting playing with new variations on the task management theme? :) .

Over on the outlinersoftware.com forum we call this ailment CRIMP... standing for Compulsive Reactive Information Manager Purchasing. Those of us with this disease are called CRIMPers, and the act is called CRIMPing.

he
henrietta

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:02 pm Post

Over on the outlinersoftware.com forum we call this ailment CRIMP... standing for Compulsive Reactive Information Manager Purchasing. Those of us with this disease are called CRIMPers, and the act is called CRIMPing.

There's a Diagnosis!?!

Drat! Blast! I just bought Things and I like the look of The Hit List. :shock: Is there a known remedy for the acute stage of the disease?