Mac's not-so-sleepy sleep mode

Ga
Gaijin de Moscu

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:48 pm Post

antony wrote:The SLEEP option in the Apple menu is necessary for those of us who also work on desktop machines, where "closing the lid" is impossible ;)

But are you saying the desktops *do not* go to sleep automatically? I spent atrocious amounts of time trying to tune my iMac to do just that...

antony

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:06 pm Post

bluloo wrote:Always sleeping your Mac overnight, IMO, will not allow these functions to be executed.

Incorrect, and we went over this some time ago in these very forums. As of 10.4 (i.e. Tiger, not Leopard, so this has been a feature for almost three years) OSX runs a daemon that monitors for the cronjobs; if the computer is asleep when they should run, they are instead automatically run when the computer is woken.
Last edited by antony on Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

antony

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:08 pm Post

Gaijin de Moscu wrote:
antony wrote:The SLEEP option in the Apple menu is necessary for those of us who also work on desktop machines, where "closing the lid" is impossible ;)

But are you saying the desktops *do not* go to sleep automatically? I spent atrocious amounts of time trying to tune my iMac to do just that...

No, I'm saying that if you want them to go to sleep right away, you have to choose the Sleep command. Of course desktops will sleep automatically after a certain period of time if you have them set to do so, but often that's not fast enough.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:53 pm Post

Also, with the towers at least (would be surprising if iMacs are not likewise), you can use the power button to engage sleep mode. Just press it once and it should go into sleep. Don't hold it down as that will force the system to power off completely, not going through the proper shut-down scripts.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

St
Studio717

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:58 pm Post

In Leopard, you go under Energy Saver in System Preferences and make your choices there for sleep. (On my Mini, there are separate time sliders for the computer and the monitor.) Using the Power button to engage Sleep is optional in Leopard and you need to check the box under Options if you want to use it.

You can also set Hot Corners, which is the lazy... uh, my way of doing it (usually). :)

antony

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:15 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Also, with the towers at least (would be surprising if iMacs are not likewise), you can use the power button to engage sleep mode. Just press it once and it should go into sleep. Don't hold it down as that will force the system to power off completely, not going through the proper shut-down scripts.

Yep, same for iMacs, but as their power button is on the back of the machine it's generally easier to just use the menu item ;)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

antony

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:18 pm Post

Studio717 wrote:In Leopard, you go under Energy Saver in System Preferences and make your choices there for sleep. (On my Mini, there are separate time sliders for the computer and the monitor.) Using the Power button to engage Sleep is optional in Leopard and you need to check the box under Options if you want to use it.

You can also set Hot Corners, which is the lazy... uh, my way of doing it (usually). :)

The seperate sliders have been the same for a while, not just under Leopard. The checkbox for the power button is something I've never seen before, but maybe it isn't enabled on laptops (my desktop is still running Tiger).
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

St
Studio717

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:37 pm Post

My bad, antony, for not firing up my Powerbook (still with Tiger) to check what was different and what was the same.

Now that I have, I'm more confused, so I'm not sure I'm going to help anyone. The two sliders are there for both the computer and the display, but there are two drop-down choices at the top of the screen that I'm pretty sure are laptop-specific, which allow you to set up energy saver options for battery and ac adapter separately.

I also don't know if the differences are due to having different configurations on my two computers. For instance, the Powerbook (which has a built-in modem), has a checkbox for "Wake when the modem detects a ring" under the Options tab, but the Mini (which does not have a modem), doesn't have that option. Whether that's something Leopard detects and leaves out, I do not know. (I assume so, but I don't know.)

antony

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:41 am Post

Studio717 wrote:The two sliders are there for both the computer and the display, but there are two drop-down choices at the top of the screen that I'm pretty sure are laptop-specific, which allow you to set up energy saver options for battery and ac adapter separately.

Yes, those are laptop-specific. No point in enabling those options for a desktop which has no battery to run off ;)

I also don't know if the differences are due to having different configurations on my two computers. For instance, the Powerbook (which has a built-in modem), has a checkbox for "Wake when the modem detects a ring" under the Options tab, but the Mini (which does not have a modem), doesn't have that option.

That's almost certainly the reason, not Leopard itself.

And it turns out the 'enable power button' option is indeed on my desktop running Tiger (I'd just never noticed it before!). So maybe that's another option that depends on whether you're running a laptop or desktop...?
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

cooner

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:52 am Post

antony wrote:
Studio717 wrote:The two sliders are there for both the computer and the display, but there are two drop-down choices at the top of the screen that I'm pretty sure are laptop-specific, which allow you to set up energy saver options for battery and ac adapter separately.

Yes, those are laptop-specific. No point in enabling those options for a desktop which has no battery to run off ;)

Just as a point of interest: If you have a desktop hooked up to a UPS power backup supply with a USB connection (allows the computer to communicate with the backup power), your Energy Settings will also have that same drop-down menu at the top, but instead of "Power Adapter" and "Battery," it'll be "Power Adapter" and "UPS."

Very handy, actually ... you can set your computer to dim the screen or go to sleep faster if it's running on backup power, or just tell it to automatically shut down depending on how much time or percentage of the backup's battery is used or is left.

St
Studio717

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:15 am Post

cooner,

Thank you! I have a UPS but since all the software that came with it was for Win systems, I didn't bother plugging in the included USB cable. Those added options will be very handy in my neck of the woods this coming winter. 8)

antony

Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:25 am Post

cooner wrote:Just as a point of interest: If you have a desktop hooked up to a UPS power backup supply with a USB connection (allows the computer to communicate with the backup power), your Energy Settings will also have that same drop-down menu at the top, but instead of "Power Adapter" and "Battery," it'll be "Power Adapter" and "UPS."

Blimey. They've thought of everything! :)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

bo
bondeboy

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:05 pm Post

Starting last summer my G4 tower has become increasingly sensitive to static electricity. I always leave it in Sleep mode when not in use for a few hours. But any activity in my apartment that creates static electricity - even far from the computer - will wake the computer up. This is driving me nuts. Turning on any electric appliance will usually - but not always - activate the computer. The other day I placed a metal box on a metal shelf in a closet in another room, and caused a tiny spark of electricity. I heard the G4 fire up in the other room.

Anyone know how I can stop this? The computer did not have this problem for the first 3 years that I used it. The condition has developed recently.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:13 pm Post

Okay, that is officially the strangest "pop out of sleep mode" story I have ever heard! Do you have it plugged into a surge protector and is the outlet properly grounded?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:15 am Post

AmberV wrote:Okay, that is officially the strangest "pop out of sleep mode" story I have ever heard! Do you have it plugged into a surge protector and is the outlet properly grounded?

Take that one step further. Are all the periphials properly grounded? A change in voltage ot amperage on a USB or firewire line (even a ethernet line) could be enough to cause the system to wake up. When I see this it is typically a server alarming that a new device has been attached...

My favorite mystery sleep interrupter is the cat. Things are sleeping on the MBP (and dell) when apparently the cat gets board because the screen saver is not playing at 3 AM. He figured out the a nose on the touch pad or a paw on the keys will liven things up. I couldn't figure it out until he did it at 10PM one day. Not sure if it is a dumb cat or a smart cat.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage