Page 1 of 4
Leopard, now, later or never?
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:10 pm
So, how many of you out there are going to run to the closest apple store and buy leopard on friday? I'm thinking about it but haven't decided yet. Maybe I'll wait for a week or two.
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:54 pm
I usually wait to upgrade until the first patch is released. That way I don't have to deal with initial bugs if there are any.
Of course, if a few months goes by with no patch, then I'll do it.
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:31 pm
There are still a few minor bugs in the last developer seed, though the Gold Master is from a later version... But it is a fantastic OS and I'll be using at as my main OS from Friday. Actually, it's been my main OS for the past six months and I absolutely love it...
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:50 pm
Because I am a fashion victim I will be buying on Friday.
I have never had a problem with a Mac upgrade but when I used Windows....
If you look on iTunes and see the method of visually searching for tracks that sells me.
I may be shallow but I am good at being shallow.
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:05 pm
Since I'm running two applications in Classic, I must still wait... probably a couple years...
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:10 pm
I'll wait until I get a new laptop with it pre-installed. If I then discover I can't live without it, I'll buy a retail copy to install on my iMac
@ptram - what on earth are you still running under Classic? Surely there must be OSX native versions of the apps by now...?
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:29 am
Already have my pre-order in.
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:22 am
Usually I wait at least until x.x.3. But I want Spaces. And Stacks. Now. I've preordered it and will install right away - at least on my iMac, my iBook will continue to run with Tiger. Just to be safe ...
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:34 am
I am waiting to see if they announce the new macbooks next month. Its time for the update, and it would be smart to do it just before x-mas. A few weeks won't kill me.... hopefully.
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:56 am
Leopard has many new features I will never use, and many other new features which are nice but not absolutely necessary. But some additions are a must for me: first and for all, Spaces; then, Stacks. And the Notes feature in Mail might reveal itself very handy too. And the new Finder looks promising.
So yes, I ordered immediately. After all this talking about Leopard, I finally want to see it, to feel it, to use it.
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:19 am
I'll probably get it as soon as it becomes available here in China, 'cos I like being up to date. I have a bootable external drive with 10.4.9 on it, so I can use my FCA202 audio interface, so I'll always be able to revert to that if I have problems.
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:30 am
antony wrote:what on earth are you still running under Classic? Surely there must be OSX native versions of the apps by now...?
The least important of the two: Word 5.1a. I'm converting all my old documents to RTF, but this takes a very long time (I used it during my most productive age). Yes, there is finally a viable replacement, and it is called Nisus Writer Pro (and I've been using a mix of Mellel and NeoOffice up until now).
The most important one: FrameMaker. No viable alternative, unless I install Parallels Desktop and Windows, and cross-grade to the Windows version of Frame. And no, alas, there are no equivalents on the Mac.
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 am
Wow. Now there's a blast from the past! Fair enough, I'm not qualified to suggest an alternative. Still, I can't help feel there must be some modern app that would work just as well...
Re: Leopard, now, later or never?
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:22 am
hallogallo wrote:So, how many of you out there are going to run to the closest apple store and buy leopard on friday?
Not me. I have to buy a new machine first, since my much loved 5-year-old G3 iBook is apparently no longer worth supporting in new OS releases
Unfortunately, I'm not keen on my husband's MacBook (it's a funny shape, it's got sharp edges when open, and the keyboard feels odd - my husband reckons I'm mad!). And I can't afford a MacBook Pro (which, for all I know, may even suffer from the same subjective problems as the MacBook, anyway).
So I'm waiting for the second phase of some new laptop release before I move to Leopard. By then, Leopard may itself be obsolete, and replaced with Lion or Tabbycat or something! Heigh ho.
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:38 am
Roll-on Mac OS X Tabby-Cat!
I think I may wait for a while, to see what the consensus experience is on speed. I suppose I can remember too many Windows upgrades that promised super-sonics and delivered snails.