What's the best recipe software?

ni
nib

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:55 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:Nib, if you're on 10.5 have you thought about trying Bento

I'm still on 10.4.11. Amber's advice sounded good about waiting 'till the inevitable bugs are squashed before updating. I'm dealing with info overload as it is, trying to convert all my computing needs over to Mac. And there's that whole "family needs to eat" thing. I can wait to update but when I do, I'll give Bento a look. Thanks for the tip.

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:33 pm Post

Heath wrote:I like something called Yum (freeware from http://www.nixanz.com) - it's free, and awesome, and he updates it all the time and is very responsive.

Strictly speaking, I think it's classed as donationware - and if you don't want to give money, he even suggests payment options called Beerware (send him some of your local beer) and Haggleware (make an offer of something else), which made me laugh. I like developers who seem like real individuals :-)

Having said that, I'm sticking with MacGourmet for the moment, even though some aspects of it are still rather awkward and unnatural-feeling. I am using it to store favourite recipes gleaned from a multitude of sources, and it is working well for me. (I don't import recipes unless they are tried and true, because I prefer to read cookery books, newspapers or the web for new ideas. I used to have MasterCook, and I hated the recipe selections that came with it, so I think I might be biased against large software collections!)
em wrote:There's also some confusing moments with MacGourmet like that there's keywords and categories. What's the difference? Couldn't they just be combined?

I have set up my own categories to match how I think of recipes when I enter them (broadly speaking, corresponding to food groups, but edited to my own tastes and terminology). Similarly, I edited the "Course" list to match how I think a recipe is to be served. And I use keywords as a form of meta-data that doesn't have much to do with the recipe itself, but concerns how or when I intend using it, or who might especially like it. For example, I have a "BD07" keyword to mark those recipes which I intend cooking for a Boxing Day gathering this year. This lets me set up a smart folder which effectively acts as a cookbook just for that day. Yes, I could bung that information into the categories list and use the meta-data search and smart facilities to access it, but I struggle with the idea of a particular one-off meal being a food category.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:05 am Post

nib wrote:
xiamenese wrote:Nib, if you're on 10.5 have you thought about trying Bento

I'm still on 10.4.11. Amber's advice sounded good about waiting 'till the inevitable bugs are squashed before updating. I'm dealing with info overload as it is, trying to convert all my computing needs over to Mac. And there's that whole "family needs to eat" thing. I can wait to update but when I do, I'll give Bento a look. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, good practice normally ... but I decided to go for it as I had problems following 10.4.9 when Apple changed the FireWire Audio drivers and my FCA202 interface no longer worked so I had to maintain a separate boot disk with 10.4.8 just to be able to use my recording set-up. When 10.5.1 became available, I reckoned I had nothing to lose, so got Leopard and did the upgrade immediately ... clean install and re-install of all regularly-used software. Not only have I not had any trouble with Leopard, but the FCA202 now also works again happily, though Amadeus Pro is not that keen on it being connected through a hub ... hangs on first trying to save a recording, then works normally when restarted! Otherwise it's just brilliant: booting is much quicker, apps open much more quickly. Apart from the Amadeus Pro matter, the only hang I can think of with any app, was with Nisus Writer Pro 1.03 private beta, and that kind of thing is therefore to be expected.
So yes, there have been people who've had trouble with it. I can only think that they run much more complex set-ups than me, perhaps with haxies and other low-level third-party software, or they have installed it as an upgrade, rather than doing a clean install or an "archive and install".
Sadly, I'm still going to have to maintain a 10.4.11 external boot disk as I use InDesign CS quite a bit and it is supposed not to work under Leopard. I can't afford the upgrade to the CS3 version.

:)

Mark

Eldritch

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:46 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:Sadly, I'm still going to have to maintain a 10.4.11 external boot disk as I use InDesign CS quite a bit and it is supposed not to work under Leopard. I can't afford the upgrade to the CS3 version.

You're not on your own. Though I don't feel too bad having looked at the price of Hard Drives recently. Iomega 500GB Hard Drive going for a smidgin' under £70. :)
When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand.
--Raymond Chandler

xiamenese

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:20 pm Post

Eldritch wrote:
xiamenese wrote:Sadly, I'm still going to have to maintain a 10.4.11 external boot disk as I use InDesign CS quite a bit and it is supposed not to work under Leopard. I can't afford the upgrade to the CS3 version.

You're not on your own. Though I don't feel too bad having looked at the price of Hard Drives recently. Iomega 500GB Hard Drive going for a smidgin' under £70. :)

If you're in Blighty ... here they're rather more, but I've got two 320MB FireWire externals, I've merely got to find the time to do some sorting out.

Mark

Eldritch

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:48 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:I've merely got to find the time to do some sorting out.

You mean procrastinate? :wink:

And, silly me. Should have realised there would be a difference in price. :shock:
--Raymond Chandler

xiamenese

Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:25 am Post

Eldritch wrote:
xiamenese wrote:I've merely got to find the time to do some sorting out.

You mean procrastinate? :wink:

Trouble is I find too many ways to procrastinate from doing important procrastination jobs like that ... how to procrastinate the procrastinator. :D

Eldritch wrote:And, silly me. Should have realised there would be a difference in price. :shock:

And the really silly thing is most of the bits are made in this country! :evil:

I had a look at buying a 750GB Iomega drive at the beginning of the year ... if I remember rightly, Iomega was selling them in the US for about $400 ... I would have had to order from Shanghai and it would have cost about $1000 plus delivery (Shanghai's about 400 miles from here). Fortunately I was saved from idiocy by the fact that they didn't have any in stock and recommended a USB drive when I wanted a FireWire drive. But a 320GB FireWire 400/USB 2 drive in an aluminium rather Iomega-style case is now around 80 quid, bought locally.

Mark

Eldritch

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:40 pm Post

Here in the UK, we also get stiffed on prices compared to America. I think they believe we're made of money. Okay, so we all live in castles and have butlers to do our bidding. :roll: It still doesn't excuse the huge price increases. :evil:
--Raymond Chandler

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:07 pm Post

fantasist!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Eldritch

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:22 pm Post

vic-k wrote:fantasist!

I'm merely trying to continue in the vein of thought the Americans have of us Vic. Who are you to try and spoil that illusion for them? :wink:
--Raymond Chandler

Kh
Khadrelt

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:37 pm Post

Actually, from reading these forums I'm beginning to think of you more as sitting around in dingy pubs getting drunk while complaining about American prices... :wink:
And that, my Liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped.

Eldritch

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:10 am Post

Khadrelt wrote:Actually, from reading these forums I'm beginning to think of you more as sitting around in dingy pubs getting drunk while complaining about American prices... :wink:

Ah... :shock: Okay, you got me there. :oops: Damnation and hellfire, knew I was gonna get busted sooner or later.

Another bottle of the Ol' Dog over here please landlord. And let's get this Wi-Fi cranked up a bit. You need to update. Can't afford a new one you say? Pardon? In America they're how much? :evil:
--Raymond Chandler

ni
nib

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:21 pm Post

I've been using a freeware recipe program, Yum, while deciding which software to buy. I picked YummySoup because it did much of what I need to do and the developer says he's working on the rest of what I really need. That'd be: an importer to bring in recipe collections from other formats, i.e. MasterCook, MealMaster or any of the other very popular formats. And of course, a way to re-size recipes! C'mon, what am I to do with a favorite recipe that only serves 3 when I'm having 8 dinner guests for my world famous General Tso's Chicken? I have to bring it into Yum which has a re-sizer. The developer is promising that for the next update, we'll see.

It has a very nice GUI and a great way to import single recipes from certain sites like foodnetwork.com Just drag the url into the program and everything is automatically imported, even a photo, if available. It's a terrific way to add to my recipe collection.

It was on sale for Mother's day and I couldn't resist it for $15. And I've been called a "mother" often enough that I didn't feel un-entitled. :P
My tropical fish stayed the same size for years in a 20 gallon tank: I put them in a new 50 gallon tank and they grew huge. And that’s why I refuse to buy bigger pants.

em

Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:24 pm Post

Now that I’ve had some more time with MacGourmet and YummySoup I can say a few more things:

1. MacGourmet is an "old Mac App" and has some weird UI things that aren’t seen in more modern apps.
2. MacGourmet has some weird issues, like when I combine two shopping lists it loses data, eg- the store and aisle information gets erased.
3. MacGourmet and YummySoup’s developers seem well intentioned but there’s a lot of "incorporating feedback" that results in adding XYZ features; in my opinion this is a dangerous thing that threatens to make the app too complicated and less fun to use. I’m more of a 37signals http://37signals.com kind of person. I find KB to be hesitant to dump more features into Scrivener :) too.

Right now I’m sticking to MacGourmet until I find a suitable replacement. I still need to try out Sous Chef http://www.acaciatreesoftware.com/ which I discovered via DaringFireball.

ni
nib

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:20 pm Post

I've been using YummySoup for quite awhile but the lack of developer's attention to the software drove me to MacGourmet Deluxe and I've been using it now for a couple of months.

Someone (not me) wrote the following recently in the YS forum.

"Is YS still beging actively supported? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but there have been several posts recently regarding problems importing recipes from web sites and other glitches in YS, with no response from Hungry Seacow. The last response to any bug report was in early November. Additionally, the developer has on several occasions promised updates and new versions, but nothing has materialized. I can't help but wonder if YS development has stalled, but I'm hoping that there's some good news coming instead."

The developer's response the next day was, "Good news" followed by a smiley face.

A few days later a small update became available that didn't include promised features such as the capability to re-size recipes. He's been promising that feature since the middle of summer.
Now today the site's forum is either having difficulties or has been disabled. Perhaps he's growing weary of people asking why the web importer features don't work because they haven't been updated to work with changes on various recipe websites.

The way he's been acting, it's just possible he's Amy Winehouse's new BF.

I would not recommend YummySoup to anyone (although I love its interface--it is best of breed). MacGourmet works pretty well for me. It is often updated and the recipe importers automatically import from supported sites with no trouble.
My tropical fish stayed the same size for years in a 20 gallon tank: I put them in a new 50 gallon tank and they grew huge. And that’s why I refuse to buy bigger pants.