Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:56 am Post

Briar Kit wrote:Personally, I'd drop in a text box of vertical text, write a
L
A
B
E
L
separated by carriage returns, or tweak the design to avoid vertical text completely rather than resort to Word.

Shocked to learn that you think I would ever swear, let alone need a swear jar. :shock:

Maybe it's because you don't use Word or need complex tables. I note you didn't try the page breaks, so keep the jar ready just in case… ;)

Interesting factoid: swearing is good for you. It appears to be one a universal release mechanism in that it reduces pain (literally) and relieves tension. It can even keep the in-laws at bay. There seems to be something about expressing the taboo that helps. But, and this is important, the benefits are not dose dependant: swearing more does not increase the benefit. As with all good things, use only in moderation and keep in mind the effects on others. :)
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:08 pm Post

Another Word for Mac user here. I'm a user who regularly exchanges documents with Word for Windows users, with all kinds of layout and formatting - and nary an issue (well, apart from my ingrained dislike of Word, and, of course, the usual "finger" problems...). nom summarises what is also my general experience of the software.

I also have a virtual Windows environment set up on my Mac, using Parallels, on which Word for Windows 2010 is installed. I set this up for another particular piece of software that's only available for Windows. But I don't recommend stepping down this route if you don't have to. You need quite a lot more RAM, and, basically, getting going is a fuss, apart from all the usual virus-blocking, update-downloading Windows annoyances - life's too short.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:46 pm Post

nom wrote:
Briar Kit wrote:Personally, I'd drop in a text box of vertical text, write a
L
A
B
E
L
separated by carriage returns, or tweak the design to avoid vertical text completely rather than resort to Word.

Shocked to learn that you think I would ever swear, let alone need a swear jar. :shock:

Maybe it's because you don't use Word or need complex tables. I note you didn't try the page breaks, so keep the jar ready just in case… ;)

Interesting factoid: swearing is good for you. It appears to be one a universal release mechanism in that it reduces pain (literally) and relieves tension. It can even keep the in-laws at bay. There seems to be something about expressing the taboo that helps. But, and this is important, the benefits are not dose dependant: swearing more does not increase the benefit. As with all good things, use only in moderation and keep in mind the effects on others. :)

Was a long term Word user, but avoid it as far as possible.

Not yet found a table I can't format in Pages to a standard that I am happy with...I actually prefer the clarity of design that Pages offers. If a table flows across a page, why is a page break needed? Again, I'd rather work in Pages and allow the table to flow or create a separate table on a second page rather than work in Word. Intrigued to see a complex table that Pages can't get close to replicating.

Yes, I've heard that about swearing. Can't think of any word that I consider taboo, so I can't think of a word I'd use. Perhaps...Microsoft. :roll:
Account closed January 2017

gr

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:25 pm Post

Dr Dog wrote: … the reason is simply nervousness … I'll take your experience as a hopeful sign and look into things a little more deeply.

I also think there is no good reason not to proceed with Word for Mac. If you are emeritus, you probably still qualify for academic pricing as well (if there is any justice in the world).

--gr

Jo
Jordi Mora

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:44 pm Post

I also think there is no good reason not to proceed with Word for Mac. If you are emeritus, you probably still qualify for academic pricing as well (if there is any justice in the world).
--gr

Thanks - sadly not exactly emeritus: I resigned my tenure after 20 years so that I could write more of what I wanted to - but it seems that as I am still publishing and giving the odd guest lecture most academic discounts do currently still apply.

The situation at the moment is that Nisus said that Word/NWP/Word should work, so I tried a few small (but typical) editorial projects just using NWP (which has very nice Track Changes implementation) and the publishers have reported back that it all seems perfect so far, and that if it ever stops being so they'll let me know ...

Thanks again.

nom

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:39 am Post

Briar Kit wrote:Was a long term Word user, but avoid it as far as possible.

Wise words.

Briar Kit wrote:Not yet found a table I can't format in Pages to a standard that I am happy with… I actually prefer the clarity of design that Pages offers. If a table flows across a page, why is a page break needed? Again, I'd rather work in Pages and allow the table to flow or create a separate table on a second page rather than work in Word. Intrigued to see a complex table that Pages can't get close to replicating.

OK, here's a real-life example from my recent history. I was contracted to conduct a number of assessments for a large educational organisation, and was requested to use their report template. This template included the words "Verbal Comprehension Index" rotated 90º (i.e. run vertically) as a label for several rows (one of just several examples of vertical text). The structure of their tables also involved (horizontal) sub-headings as labels along the way, but without the ability the insert page-breaks, these subheadings can (and did in Pages) end up on separate pages from their associated text. What's worse is that Pages would actually split characters within a cell across pages. It was a mess.

Partly because, like you, I prefer Pages, and partly because I didn't particularly like their template, but mostly because I needed to merge data from a Numbers file, I ended up modifying the tables in their template and used Pages anyway. But it took me ages to clean up the file and, if I'd had to send it back to them as a Word file, I wouldn't have bothered and would have just used Word. It would certainly have been simpler to export my Numbers file to Excel than it was to import that Word file into Pages, and all because of the tables.

Briar Kit wrote:Yes, I've heard that about swearing. Can't think of any word that I consider taboo, so I can't think of a word I'd use. Perhaps...Microsoft. :roll:

:lol:

nom

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:41 am Post

Dr Dog wrote:The situation at the moment is that Nisus said that Word/NWP/Word should work, so I tried a few small (but typical) editorial projects just using NWP (which has very nice Track Changes implementation) and the publishers have reported back that it all seems perfect so far, and that if it ever stops being so they'll let me know ...

That's good to hear! :)