Style Dictionary?

ma
mapp22
Platform: Mac

Sat May 04, 2013 12:06 pm Post

Not sure if "style dictionary" is the correct term, so let me describe what I'm looking for.

I am seeking a software or a web-tool in which I can enter a word and it will tell me related words or inform me about usage.

Example: adjectives to nouns searching

I would type in "war" and the software would list adjectives that fit to describe "war". It could give me:
dark, gruesome, horrific, traumatizing, grisly, etc

Do you guys no of such a tool, or dictionary?
Thank you

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat May 04, 2013 12:52 pm Post

There are Thought Office and Rhyme Genie and the grotesquely over-priced Master Writer, none recommended, but they're there.

The free Nisus Thesaurus is very good.

There's also Google (and other) search engines, free, if you don't mind helping them build their own data bases.

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun May 05, 2013 1:58 am Post

The best tool I've seen for this is the Flip Dictionary by Barbara Ann Kipfer. It was given to me as a gift many years ago and is often surprisingly helpful.It is similar to a thesaurus, but more open in that, like you suggest, it includes words you associate rather than just synonyms. However, as best I know it is paper only so doesn't meet your request for an online or app-based tool.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Hu
Hugh

Sun May 05, 2013 10:32 am Post

Roget's Thesaurus - the original and best. Dunno if it's available in electronic form, but the printed version I have will do exactly what the OP requires.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Siren

Sun May 05, 2013 11:03 am Post

I have Chambers Thesaurus (and the separate Chambers Dictionary) on my iPhone, which is surprisingly handy. I've probably used that thesaurus more often in the last couple of months than any thesaurus over the past ten years. Too lazy to go to the bookshelf to get Roget.

For mapp22's example... Choosing the word "war", Chambers Thesaurus first gives about 20 synonym nouns. Then it gives the related adjective "martial" (you have to click on this word to get a list of synonyms of this adjective, but then you get "warlike, military, army, soldierly, militant, heroic, brave, belligerent, combative, aggressive, hawkish" and "formal: pugnacious, bellicose"). After the related adjective for "war", the entry goes on to give a couple of antonyms, a dozen or so verbs, related phrases ("war cry"), examples of 30 or 40 types of war, and a similarly lengthy list of famous wars. Clicking on any individual word takes you to the entry for that word. And there is an X-ref button as well, if you want to look up the word "war" in Chambers Dictionary or WordWeb (if installed), or online on Wikipedia, Google and so forth

It's not particularly relevant to the orignal question, but if you are interested in French, Druide's application Antidote is excellent (again, i have the iPhone version), linking to all sorts of different groups of related words. I would love to see that in English.

Edited to add: It has occurred to me that the original poster was asking really for a tool to generate related concepts rather than actual synonyms. But all you have to do for this is look up the first such concept that comes to mind (for example, "gruesome" or "grisly") in a thesaurus, and then you have a list of suitable words.
Literature & Latte support team

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun May 05, 2013 2:22 pm Post

Hugh wrote:Roget's Thesaurus - the original and best. Dunno if it's available in electronic form, but the printed version I have will do exactly what the OP requires.

Roger' Tyrannosaurus is downloadable for Kindle &Mac/PCs
http://www.classicly.com/download-roget ... rus-kindle

Siren wrote:
"gruesome" or "grisly") in a thesaurus, and then you have a list of suitable words.
What Kind of a mind conjures up that kind of an example? :shock:
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ma
mapp22

Sun May 05, 2013 6:39 pm Post

Thanks for the numerous contributions. This is a lovely community here.

PJS's suggestions MasterWriter and ThoughtOffice seem to be what I'm looking for; unfortunately these apps are overpriced. The free Nisus Thesaurus is just a thesaurus.

Thanks, nom, I was able find an electronic version of the Flip Dictionary. Unfortunately it's primarily a resource for finding synonyms and then some related words. Likewise, Roget's Thesaurus doesn't fit my purpose, at least the .pdf version that was linked here doesn't; it just gives synonyms and related words.

I have downloaded the Chambers apps but, again, they don't fit my purpose although they are nice thesauri.

Floss
Platform: Windows

Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm Post

not wishing to be flippant... ah, who am i trying to kid...

rather than have some database editor or machine algorithm dictate the imagery in your writing, i really would recommend you put the effort into coming up with your own.

if you are worried you might not have a good enough vocabulary - something i doubt is true, btw - then be aware that the larger vocabulary is more likely to be found in reading novels and other prose than it is in the pages of a dictionary, thesaurus or mythical style dictionary. crosswords are also a good tool, but i tend to find they strengthen an existing vocab rather than make one larger.

seriously, the fun - and the skill - in writing comes from finding the right word to conjure up the right image. the fun in reading comes from seeing some new simile, metaphor or - yes - a well chosen adjective to express something in a way you,ve never seen before. imagine how dull it would be to read something written by an author using such a reference. the pages would be full of clichés and tired idioms. the sentences would flow with all the ingenuity of a robot arm in a volvo assembly line, and probably invoke the same amount of emotion in the reader.

my wish for you is that, if such a reference exists, you never find it. may your craft grow stronger and your prose inspire equal measures of envy and delight as a result.
i am happy to give feedback on short passages.

be warned, though. my feedback can be blunt... always well intentioned and aimed at helping you improve, but possibly more honest than you are used to.

as such, i will only chip in if directly invited.

PJ
PJS

Mon May 06, 2013 10:14 pm Post

Floss wrote:rather than have some database editor or machine algorithm dictate the imagery in your writing, i really would recommend you put the effort into coming up with your own.

if you are worried you might not have a good enough vocabulary - something i doubt is true, btw - then be aware that the larger vocabulary is more likely to be found in reading novels and other prose than it is in the pages of a dictionary, thesaurus or mythical style dictionary. crosswords are also a good tool, but i tend to find they strengthen an existing vocab rather than make one larger.

seriously, the fun - and the skill - in writing comes from finding the right word to conjure up the right image. the fun in reading comes from seeing some new simile, metaphor or - yes - a well chosen adjective to express something in a way you,ve never seen before. imagine how dull it would be to read something written by an author using such a reference. the pages would be full of clichés and tired idioms. the sentences would flow with all the ingenuity of a robot arm in a volvo assembly line, and probably invoke the same amount of emotion in the reader.

my wish for you is that, if such a reference exists, you never find it. may your craft grow stronger and your prose inspire equal measures of envy and delight as a result.

Very likely the second-best thing ever written by a cat.

The absolute best, of course, is

my youth i shall never forget
but there s nothing i really regret
wotthehell wotthehell
there s a dance in the old dame yet
toujours gai toujours gai

ps

Fluff

Tue May 07, 2013 7:34 am Post

PJS wrote:Very likely the second-best thing ever written by a cat.
The absolute best, of course, is

Y've started something now cus! :shock:
Cus Fluff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rji1_Pt73ao
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

ma
mapp22

Thu May 09, 2013 2:05 pm Post

Floss wrote:seriously, the fun - and the skill - in writing comes from finding the right word to conjure up the right image. the fun in reading comes from seeing some new simile, metaphor or - yes - a well chosen adjective to express something in a way you,ve never seen before. imagine how dull it would be to read something written by an author using such a reference. the pages would be full of clichés and tired idioms. the sentences would flow with all the ingenuity of a robot arm in a volvo assembly line, and probably invoke the same amount of emotion in the reader.

Thanks for the honest words, Floss. I agree with the quoted text.
For the rest, I don't think that such a dictionary would spoil the personal touch you advocate, on the contrary, I think it could open your mind to new ways of thinking.
Having it at your disposal doesn't mean it would found your writing. You'd use it as a reference in moments where you are stuck on a phrase or needed inspiration otherwise but you'd remain the final judge on which words to choose.

Floss

Thu May 09, 2013 3:28 pm Post

my point is that while it may open your mind to ways of thinking that are new to you, it wouldn,t open your mind to ways of thinking that are new to the world or to the reader. by definition it can,t be a new way of thinking because it,s already been written down.

in fact, it,s already become such a common piece of thinking that the association has made it to a book of ,common-things-people-think-of-when-they-think-about-this-subject,.

reading such a reference might lead you to say the following...
he was as high as a kite

but only imagination will give you...
I was higher than a stewardess,s hat

be warned, though. my feedback can be blunt... always well intentioned and aimed at helping you improve, but possibly more honest than you are used to.

PJ
PJS

Thu May 09, 2013 5:03 pm Post

. . . or a cattail.

. . . or a cat's tail.

. . . or a cat's tale.

ps

ma
mapp22

Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 am Post

Floss wrote:my point is that while it may open your mind to ways of thinking that are new to you, it wouldn,t open your mind to ways of thinking that are new to the world or to the reader. by definition it can,t be a new way of thinking because it,s already been written down.

in fact, it,s already become such a common piece of thinking that the association has made it to a book of ,common-things-people-think-of-when-they-think-about-this-subject,.

reading such a reference might lead you to say the following...
he was as high as a kite

but only imagination will give you...
I was higher than a stewardess,s hat

I understood you in the first post. What I mean, reading "high as a kite" might open up your mind to think of your own metaphor. It gives you the building blocks to make something new. Copy, Transform, Combine = Innovation.

Floss

Fri May 10, 2013 2:43 am Post

the expansion of the point was not because I felt you did not understand.

it was because you didn't agree. :roll:

<wanders off to sit somewhere else>