Know a good blog hosting company?

St
Stevenfield
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:31 pm Post

Or you could try SquareSpace http://new.squarespace.com/ who offer an integrated service for websites and blogs.

Foxtrot
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:13 pm Post

I am a bit loath to join this conversation because I use JustHost and have never had a problem but I am only an amateur f**king about with a plaything website. It's always up there and there is loads of stuff they provide to help new people. Someone will now tell me they are the devil incarnate of webhosts but...

I have used AOL (in all its incarnations -currently Carphone Warehouse/TalKTalk in the UK, as my ISP forever...since I first logged on to the internet! Never had any major problems and minor ones resolved quickly - but everyone in the know tells me how crap they are and how stupid I am for using them, so what do I know?

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:58 am Post

I've used several hosts.

Under no circumstances would I ever recommend "Bluehost", however. Very unsatisfactory and not value for money. They caused me no end of grief. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

For a while, I used "Siteground" but they were over priced for what they offered.

Currently, I'm using Site5, and they would be more than okay for your blog.

A Small Orange (I have one domain with them) seems to be excellent value and they don't oversell their servers*.

* All of the services that have been mentioned previously (by me and others) are all on shared servers. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with shared hosting, but you "get what you pay for". That is, don't depend on their backups, unlimited bandwidth etc doesn't really mean unlimited everything and you can't control (or even know) who else shares your server or even how many other sites do. This shouldn't matter, but be aware that load on other sites on the box may affect your site's performance (although, a good host will monitor this and do something before it all goes pear shaped - hopefully).
J

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:37 am Post

Thanks for the further recommendations -- and for the warning about Bluehost!

I think it will probably be a competition between Zen, Dreamhost, and Hostgator. Being in the UK, I'm a little wary of hosts that are based in the US, just because the time zone is different, exchange rates may change, and legal systems are different -- and when you add the VAT we have to pay, the prices don't look as good, either.

Best, Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

Ma
Mac
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:59 am Post

Another option would be to use Wordpress.com.

That would give you a free SITENAME.wordpress.com address. If you wanted to have your own domain name so that the URL is just SITENAME.com, the cost is only $18 a year—including registration and hosting.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/

Wordpress.com has some restrictions—will serve its own adverts; has limits on affiliate marketing [though reasonable Amazon links are okay]; limited number of themes/templates that can be used on the site; limited design tweaking; it doesn't offer domain name email accounts, etc.

But if you want a domain name and simple hosting, then Wordpress.com is very cost effective.

You can start off with a free SITENAME.wordpress.com address to get a feel for how Wordpress works and you can then convert the site to an available domain name at a later date if you're happy with the set-up.

And if you really want to take things to another stage in the future, Wordpress.com has additional paid options (removal of ads, more space, etc—http://en.support.wordpress.com/upgrades/) or you can move your domain name to another host company entirely.