Best keyboard and monitor?

AJ
AJ

Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:15 pm Post

I'd not seen the Microsoft natural mouse before, but it looks a lot like my Logitech MX laser mouse. There are reviews that say the MX will work on glass. I haven't tried that - my desk is wooden - but I like the MX.

Edit: Don't bother. I brought in a clear glass top from a sidetable and tried the MX on it. Didn't work. Perhaps the glass has to be opaque.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:40 pm Post

Nope. :) First thing I did was try the laser on an opaque glass Ikea desk at the office--doesn't work. Maybe... textured glass. Stained glass?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

AJ
AJ

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:00 am Post

Hmm. Welcome to our new segment... Mousebusters!

I had also read in a review that putting a picture under glass will work. Just tried it. No dice. Not even fuzzy ones.

lenf

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:04 am Post

Is it just me, or do others here, discussing the finer points of various mice, keyboards, monitors, etc. sometimes picture Sam Clemens, sitting in his little gazebo at Quarry Farm, a stack of manuscript paper, a dip pen with a bottle of ink, and a hundred or so pages of Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer on the table?

AJ
AJ

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:14 am Post

Are you feeling nostalgic, lenf?

St
Studio717

Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:39 am Post

Except that Sam Clemens was one of the early adopters of the typewriter. Imo, he'd be checking out the new Santa Rosa MBPs.

:lol:

lenf

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:14 am Post

Studio717 wrote:Except that Sam Clemens was one of the early adopters of the typewriter. Imo, he'd be checking out the new Santa Rosa MBPs. :lol:

Clemens did "check out" almost every alternate way to write, going through a stream of fountain pens, the typewriter, even his very own company to produce the Paige typesetter - - a mechanical version of LaTex... :) It seems that after a few days with each, he would pass the latest experiment on to his friend W. D. Howells, who oddly enough, chose to remain his friend. They would usually plot a bit to determine who to curse next with the device at hand. Then he'd pull out his old dip pen, a bottle of ink in some unusual shade, and go back to actually writing. :D

Nostalgic? Nah. I do agree that if Twain were about today, he'd likely be using a Mac.

I do, though, wonder if we'd ever get Huck or Tom that way. :)

AJ
AJ

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:57 am Post

lenf wrote:I do, though, wonder if we'd ever get Huck or Tom that way. :)

I guess that'd be up to you. :)

da
dafu
Platform: Mac

Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:29 am Post

Well, your description of Twain's experiments with writing-encouragement-implements does have some contemporary echoes.

If you want to experiment with the fountain pen method à la Twain, here you go:

http://www.conklinpen.com/product/twain2.html

Dave

antony

Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:40 pm Post

KB wrote:Dang! The Microsoft natural mouse is very nice, but it doesn't work on the glass surface I bought for my desk! *Sob*. And the Gateway monitor is MASSIVE. The IceKey keyboard feels great and I can type very fast on it - fantastic. Very satisfying. Annoying about the mouse though. I like it a lot, but it would be a lot of hassle to get rid of the glass desk top...

You know, you *can* still use mousepads with optical mice... ;)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

da
dafu

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:06 pm Post

You know, you *can* still use mousepads with optical mice

Indeed, indeed!

I have found an excellent solution for this problem. Go to an art supply store and get a mid-sized cutting mat. I use a 12" x 18". Turn it over so the grid is hidden and you have a great mousepad—large enough so it doesn't slide all over the place and very easily cleaned.

Dave

AJ
AJ

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:14 pm Post

Then you could work on your magnum opus, "Do Optical Mice Dream of Light Cheese?"
"Writers are troublemakers. A psychotherapist tries to relieve stress, strain, and pressure. Writers are not psychotherapists. Their job is to give readers stress, strain, and pressure." - Sol Stein

Hu
Hugh

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:26 pm Post

AJ wrote:Then you could work on your magnum opus, "Do Optical Mice Dream of Light Cheese?"

8) :) Not bad. Not bad at all.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:31 pm Post

And laser mice dream of holographic cheese.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ah
Ahab

Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:10 pm Post

AmberV wrote:And laser mice dream of holographic cheese.

To shift matters from the theoretical to the experiential, I made the Great Trek to the Big City yesterday to buy a new big (for me) monitor for my new (soon to be shipped) MacBook Pro to express itself into, and after eight hours of peering at pixels and annoying salesclerks at seven different stores with my 3x5 cards printed with condensed monitor reviews and requests to hook this up to that and Please can't you make the text smaller, I came home with a Hewlett-Packard 2207 for USD370, or about half what an Apple Cinema 23-inch would have cost.

For color reproduction and small-font readibility, it was head and shoulders over the various Gateways and Samsungs and Viewsonics and MAGs and others whose names I forget. There's no Apple store in my state, so I had to rely on memorized impressions of the Apple Cinema displays used in the home office I'm fortunate not to have visit very often, but the H-P seemed the equal of those with a DVI feed.

It's got one of them there newfangled shiny screens with all the reflective drawbacks that implies, but I found that, when fired up and run with my elderly iBook (producing gorgeous colors and text, if you sit back four feet so the low-res VGA dots go away), the light output overpowers the glare, even in my passive-solar house.

It also has one of them there newfangled rotating screens, for portrait or landscape view, but Mac OS-X doesn't support this, so it comes with the usual serving of platform resentment. But it does have a nice stand that neatly cradles a notebook with the lid down, and four USB ports and good cable-handling fiddlers and adequate speakers for non-musical purposes.

So, for those monitor shopping, it's worth a look.

And now back to the cheese.