Best keyboard and monitor?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:01 pm Post

Ahab wrote:It also has one of them there newfangled rotating screens, for portrait or landscape view, but Mac OS-X doesn't support this...

Have you tried manually rotating the screen? Mine doesn't automatically rotate either, but if you go to the system displays preference, there should be an option for screen rotation. Just set it to 90º and flip the screen over.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ah
Ahab

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:03 am Post

AmberV wrote:
Ahab wrote:It also has one of them there newfangled rotating screens, for portrait or landscape view, but Mac OS-X doesn't support this...

Have you tried manually rotating the screen? Mine doesn't automatically rotate either, but if you go to the system displays preference, there should be an option for screen rotation. Just set it to 90º and flip the screen over.

I haven't tried this yet, as the new MacBook Pro hasn't yet arrived, but I certainly shall when it does. I hadn't realized I had the option.

Thanks for the tipoff.

antony

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:56 pm Post

I needed a new mouse anyway, so I ordered myself a Macally iKey5 (essentially the same as the Icekey, but waaaay cheaper - go figure) at the same time, based on the recommendations in this thread. (The old ADB keyboard still rocks, but I was running out of USB ports, and there's only so long you can hold on to the past...)

Anyway, it arrived this morning, and so far I like it. I'm not a heavy laptop user at all, so the lower profile is taking some time to get used to, but I do appreciate the scissor switch action. Seems very good for touch-typing. I did about 3,000 words of the novel on it today, and no complaints so far... :)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

Mo
Morven

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:15 pm Post

I think it's the iKey 5 that I have at home. Didn't get great reviews on Amazon from users, but it's OK. I originally had an Apple keyboard, but that did not survive a very tiny water spill. Disinclined me from getting another one. (I keep the laptop up on a shelf at home to prevent water damage there - I have five cats and accidents are inevitable).

At work I use one of the transparent Apple ones from previous Mac generations. Seems a bit tougher than the white ones.

I use a MS mouse in both places. Microsoft produce better hardware than software, I find - strangely enough.

At home I right now just use the Macbook Pro's screen, but at work I have a 23" Cinema Display, which is certainly quite reasonable, though not in price - fortunately, not out of my pocket.

Bo
Boys of Summer

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:08 am Post

Timotheus wrote:As to the screen: don't lose any more time, just buy an Apple display. I bought an Apple display almost two years ago, and I'm very happy with it. The only thing you have to worry about is whether you should buy the 20" or the 23" version.

Tough choice.

I went with the 20 inch.

Very tough choice.

H
"She watched him turn and walk out of the park, and she wondered about him all of the rest of the day, this strange man with the intense look, who stood in the middle of the park, in love with it."

ni
nib

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:33 pm Post

Thanks to the very helpful discussion about keyboards on this thread, I bought an Icekey keyboard. My wireless MS keyboard and mouse kept losing the connection on the PC side if I disconnected it to plug into the MacBook. I’d try to reconnect to the PC but it would never deign to acknowledge its existence. I’d have to reboot to use the PC again.

I just got the Icekey today and it is truly a damn fine keyboard. I touch-type, but I’ve always made due with whatever came with the computer, at least until I got the MS wireless set.
I no longer need something like “keyclickâ€

lenf

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:31 am Post

nib wrote:I installed the drivers so I can use the volume and eject keys with the MacBook but some people refuse to use a keyboard that requires installed drivers. Is there any reason for this?

Of course there's a reason. Some people are silly. :) Actually, since every keyboard requires installed drivers, it's more a question of folks not wanting to install drivers that the Mac OS doesn't do itself.

There have been issues with some drivers, such as the Logitech Control Center stuff. It installed Unsanity's hack without an explicit note, and an old version of the hack caused problems for Leopard updates. I use a Logitech MX Revolution mouse, so I uninstalled the Logitech SW and bought SteerMouse.

Then, of course, Logitech came out with a Leopard version of LCC without the Unsanity hack. SteerMouse was OK, but it really kinda crippled some of the nicest features of the MX Rev, so I dumped it and went with the new LCC, which works beautifully.

It's all bits.

ma
matt

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:14 am Post

Funny you mention the IceKey - I am also typing on a 2 week old IceKey thanks to the recommendation here, and I also think it is wonderful. Make one-tenth as many typos on this as I do at work, on the horrible $20 StarKey keyboard attached to my desk.

Matt

antony

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:16 am Post

Also worth noting: I know some people had trouble getting the 'media keys' on the IceKey and iKey5 to work, even with the MacAlly drivers installed. Mine stopped working about a month ago, for no discernible reason.

However, as soon as I installed 10.5 they started working perfectly. As I did an Archive and Install, I'm assuming this is down to 10.5 itself rather than the MacAlly drivers. Either way, it's good news :)

(And now that I've started using a laptop a lot, I appreciate the low profile of the iKey5 even more. I hardly even notice moving from the MacBook to the iMac and back.)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

St
Studio717

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:31 pm Post

Congrats on the new Icekey!

Been using my Icekey (black) since June and I still love it. I only wish there was a wireless version. I did an Archive and Install when I installed Leopard and discovered my sound buttons didn't work anymore. Downloaded the newest Icekey driver and all better now. :lol:

I still love my old iBook's keyboard the best, but the Icekey comes in a close second.

:D

WF
WF

Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:16 am Post

ptram wrote:Someone I know is happy with this compact, Cherry-based keyboard:

http://www.notestation.com/smk-88.htm

Paolo

Searching for a new keyboard, I found that this is exactly what I am looking for. But I cannot find it for sale, either online or in the UK. Where did your acquaintance purchase it?

bl
bluloo

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:07 am Post

Nice to see the icekey switchers here, enjoyng themselves. I recently switched to Apple's Al wireless kbd. Great diesign, not very robust as it is my third one n 4 months, When it works well, it works very well.

Grabbed another 24" monitor so my Dell has a daily 24 playdate.
Last edited by bluloo on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ba
bashosfrog

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:47 am Post

Beware the IceKey! This household has had two; neither lasted more than two years. I've now had the Matias Tactile Pro for a couple of years, and can't imagine writing without the joyous din it makes. I also find it's much kinder to my fingers on a 3000-word day because the keys depress further.

WF
WF

Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:57 pm Post

ptram wrote:Someone I know is happy with this compact, Cherry-based keyboard:

http://www.notestation.com/smk-88.htm

Meanwhile, as I don't think the keyboard will be available any time soon, and I understood that the most recent versions had a changed lay-out, I've gone for the Cherry Compact G84-4100, basically a keyboard without numeric keypad in the old IBM-style (which, I must say, is very pleasant typing). The one downside is that it isn't Apple—so not even a Command key. But thanks to System Preferences I have reassigned some keys and it works, even if it is not sold as compatible with OSX. The compact size is ideal for me, and I absolutely love the key switches. Clicky clicky click.