Mountain Lion now available

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:55 pm Post

I see that Mountain Lion is now available. I hope it sorts out some of the wrinkles in Lion. I think I shall hold off on upgrading until the dust settles a bit and some experts have been able to discover the inevitable problems and give us the solutions. And it's a big download -- 4GB. I will have to do it during the hours of darkness ...

Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:12 am Post

I shall have to wait until I'm back in the UK at the end of August. Here on my 1Mbit network behind the GFWoC, the hours of darkness probably wouldn't be enough!

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.4.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

br
brookter

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:11 am Post

I upgraded both desktop and laptop yesterday (only downloaded it once, then did the burn to spare partition trick so I wouldn't have to download it again).

No issues so far with Scrivener or anything else, apart from the fact that Optimal Layout hasn't been upgraded to be compatible yet.

mi
michaelbywater

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:12 am Post

What's Optimal Layout?

br
brookter

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:42 am Post

It's a utility to arrange application windows. http://most-advantageous.com/optimal-layout/

You can set it up to have shortcuts to move / resize windows either to specific or bespoke layouts. For example, left / right half of the screen, NWSE quadrants etc. It's not essential, but I miss it when it's not there. Under Lion it worked with any Cocoa program (meaning not Tinderbox unfortunately, and that's one program where it's sorely needed as it has more windows than the original Crystal Palace).

robertdguthrie

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:51 pm Post

Well, it finally happened; I've been cut off. My 6-year old MB pro, model 2,2 is just behind the velvet rope, like yesterday's celebrity. Can't complain. Aside from a bad hard drive and worn-out batteries, it hasn't given me any real trouble, and doesn't seem to be on it's way to the great recycling heap just yet.

Mountain lion just adds another feather to the "want a MB Air 11" side of the scale vs "keep the house from falling down around my ears". :roll:
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

Br
Broken Thought
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:05 pm Post

I was wanting to do a fresh install of Mountain Lion, but my portable HD bit the dust a few months back, so I had no way of backing up my stuff. Went ahead and installed over the the old OS like Apple intents for you to do. I had a lot less hiccups so far than I did with Lion--thus far <fingers crossed>.

It kept most of my old options intact, and only added the Notes and Reminders Icons in my dock and the new notification center icon in the to the far left of the menu bar. So other than those I could be tricked into thinking it was just Lion.

pigfender

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:36 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:Well, it finally happened; I've been cut off.

Ahhwwwhh.

You should throw a retirement party. 6 years is a good working life.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

br
brookter

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:03 am Post

Update on Optimal Layout compatibility (so as not to set any hares running that it's permanently broken). http://most-advantageous.com/optimal-layout/support.html

The program has been updated to run with ML. It's just not yet available in the App Store, but you can download it from the website as a temporary measure.

robertdguthrie

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:45 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
robertdguthrie wrote:Well, it finally happened; I've been cut off.

Ahhwwwhh.

You should throw a retirement party. 6 years is a good working life.

I'm aiming for 7. Like the number of years we supposedly take to completely replace all of our body's cells.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

pigfender

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm Post

<<<POST DELETED as the content of this post wasn't what I posted - it looks like a Moderator hit "edit" instead of "quote"...?>>>

EDIT BY KB: D'oh. This is why I shouldn't try to use computers when drunk. Sorry Pigfender!

EDIT BY PF: No worries! :D Pretty sure I was just rambling anyway. This is what happens when I rely on episodes of "House" to get all my medical information.
Last edited by pigfender on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:40 pm Post

I just installed Mountain Lion, then launched Scrivener, and was informed that:
Scrivener wants to access your Contacts.
Um, WTF? Since when is e-mail an aspect of Scrivener?
I said No Way and Scrivener opened fine.

In all other respects, 10.8 is an excellent upgrade.
If you have multiple machines to upgrade, do this:
Before running the install, copy the installer file (OS X Mountain Lion Install)
1. to other machines on your wireless network
2. to the Burn folder, and then burn it to a DVD disc.

What I like: Safari is really fast, and you type search queries into the address line
Mail, Contacts, Address Book, Messages, Notes, Reminders all greatly improved.
Write any RTF file in TextEdit and it's saved to iCloud. Great implications for Scrivener users.
iCloud is everywhere, and it just works. No more synching between machines.
Last edited by druid on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

xiamenese

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:57 am Post

The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.4.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:22 pm Post

druid wrote:I just installed Mountain Lion, then launched Scrivener, and was informed that:
Scrivener wants to access your Contacts.
Um, WTF? Since when is e-mail an aspect of Scrivener?
I said No Way and Scrivener opened fine.

Um, Scrivener has been accessing your Address Book (just your personal details, none of your contacts) to fill in its title pages for years. You'll find the same prompt in many apps, such as Pages. Contacts has nothing to do with email. Denying it will do no harm, though; you'll just have to enter your name and address on title pages and suchlike manually instead. I'm slightly insulted that such a long-time member of the community would suspect me of wanting to do something dodgy with your contacts, though - "WTF" indeed! :(
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

re
rebecca

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:09 pm Post

mountain lion pushed both my laptop and desktop into obsolescence. i've heard my ipad will go the same way with the next upgrade to its operating system.

i can't afford this $19.99 bargain.