OPML: Tinderbox -> Scrivener

mw
mwra
Platform: Mac

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:18 am Post

Hi, this got asked about on the Tinderbox forums, so I knocked up a little demo: http://shoantel.clarify-it.com/d/63vggj

Hope that helps. I'm more familiar with the Tinderbox end of things so if the Scrivener side needs more description, do let me know.

Hu
Hugh

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:40 am Post

Thanks!
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Ve
Vermonter17032

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:33 pm Post

Yes, thank you!

mw
mwra

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:56 pm Post

Updated the above demo again (same URL) to reflect options in Scrivener preferences.

Note re the Scrivener manual. It's not self-evident, to the non-techie user, that OPML import isn't normal import (e.g. via File menu or via drag onto the app window/dock icon. More specifically OPML import is only via drag-drop and then only onto the Binder section of the window. I think for the general user the manual would benefit from clarifying the 'how' of OPML import.

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:51 am Post

mwra wrote:OPML import is only via drag-drop

Actually, it seems there is a small bug in the latest version of Scrivener -- see Keith's explanation here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19312#p131801

mwra -- Very useful resource -- thank you.

Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

mw
mwra

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:57 pm Post

Ah, that's useful. Thanks. i'll go re-mix the demo.

Even with import enabled via the file menu - indeed even more so - it would still help the new user if the manual explained where new data is inserted. After trial and error tests I'd still not confident to give advice to others. Doesn't matter if that extra info, applying to various import formats, is elsewhere in the manual as long as it's linked to from the OPML section (as it's fair to expect a newbie user to read the latter, before complaining to Support that the feature doesn't work). Dev features undocumented == dev effort wasted.

mw
mwra

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:49 am Post

Tutorial now updated to cover the drag/drop issue and extra Preference settings required. Same URL (http://bit.ly/OCxH5y).

Tr
Tripper

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:16 pm Post

Thanks, this is very handy and reflects my workflow. It has always seemed to me that TB is great for planning/brainstorming while Scrivener is great for getting the words down.
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.