StorySkeleton - create Scrivener projects on iPhone!

Da
David Sweetman
Platform: Mac

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:00 pm Post

If you're really just chomping at the bit to start developing Scrivener projects on your iPhone, I've developed an iPhone application called StorySkeleton:

http://www.storyskeleton.com

...which imitates a deck of index cards and exports native .scriv format!

If you check it out, please let me know what you think! I'm interested to see what the Scrivener community thinks of the app, and I'm trying to improve it in any way possible.

Thanks!
-David

richardoz

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 am Post

Looks great David. Just downloaded to my iPod touch. Thanks.

gd
gdkaufmann

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:57 am Post

Just downloaded to my 3GS. Looks good. Will keep you posted.

Ve
Vermonter17032

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:45 pm Post

Nice looking app. I just downloaded to my iPod Touch. Seems like a versatile and handy tool. I don't write fiction, but it seems adaptable to nonfiction.

Da
David Sweetman

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:46 pm Post

Awesome, thanks to everyone who has checked it out! Vermonter, I'm interested to hear nonfiction experiences, and have been wondering how to more effectively market to that sector. I've been using StorySkeleton myself to block out iOS app ideas while waiting for smog checks, waiting in shopping lines, & etc, so I've been using it for nonfiction myself. I felt targeting toward fiction would give it a tighter niche that would be more helpful and an easier idea for users to understand, but I think it's actually pretty flexible.

fg
fgrieser
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:50 pm Post

Fine tool, David.

Two things you might consider:

1. When I tap in the header of an index card, I usually want to edit the header. However, StorySkeleton opens the "Select Card Type" dialog, where I have to tap "quicktype" to be able to edit the header. For me, that's one tap too much. Why not make the header editable when it is tapped - and offer the ability to select a card type/plot point as an option (e.g. through a button).

I do not know whether I'm the only one to edit card titles more than once. :-)

2. You might add the ability to create a custom set of Card Types/Plot Points. That would be nice e.g. for non-fiction writing.

Greetings from Germany, Franz

Da
David Sweetman

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:03 pm Post

Thanks for the feedback - I debated for a while whether to default to quicktype and have a "card type menu" button, or default to the menu and have a quicktype button. Thanks for the vote -- I'm still trying to decide which option is optimal. (Perhaps a setting to switch between the two default behaviors.)

You can currently customize the Card Types/Plot Points list to contain any points that are relevant for the projects you work on, although one thing I intend to add eventually is the ability to have several such lists, each one customized for a different type of writing project. Is that the sort of functionality you had in mind?

Thanks again!

fg
fgrieser
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:42 pm Post

Hi David.

Thanks for the quick response.

David Sweetman wrote:(Perhaps a setting to switch between the two default behaviors.)

Yes. That would be fine.

David Sweetman wrote:You can currently customize the Card Types/Plot Points list to contain any points that are relevant for the projects you work on, although one thing I intend to add eventually is the ability to have several such lists, each one customized for a different type of writing project. Is that the sort of functionality you had in mind?

That is what I had in mind.

Greetings, Franz

In
InklingBooks

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:40 pm Post

Sounds marvelous. I love the direct-to-Scrivener export. You've come up with excellent ways to view and reorganize material on that tiny iPhone screen. Some apps fall short there. When the dust settles, I hope you'll be able to create an iPad version that takes advantage of the larger screen and allows drag-and-drop reorganization. Perhaps you could have a view that scrolls the cards across the screen, showing several at one time.

I'd also suggest adding OPML import and export, since that'll let users take advantage of mind mapping and outline programs.

Da
David Sweetman

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:08 am Post

Thanks for the feedback! I think I've got some great ideas for the iPad version, and I'm hoping that I get enough time in the next several months to put that together.

I'm also definitely looking at OPML, I'd actually never heard of it before StorySkeleton went live but it was one of the first requests, and I'm still hearing it frequently.

Thanks again!

Oogiem

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:59 pm Post

Just got it, currently using it on m iPad and iPhone.

My biggest issue is I want non-dropbox sync. I do not use any cloud services so I want some sort of sync I can totally control, either via iTunes by wire or set up my own sync service like Omnifocus does it so I can sync automatically when I am within my home wifi network.

I also am eagerly waiting for a better iPad version as I am more likely to use that than the smaller screen of the iPhone.

re
reneesweet

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:35 am Post

Hello!
I just started using StorySkeleton. What's the best way to import the files into a current Scrivener project? I'm not finding the skel-whatever option the app mentioned.
thanks!
Renee